Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 11:28 AM

16 posts, read 62,941 times

Advertisements

So I am flying to SLC next month for a skiing trip. I heard many stories about liquor, so I just decided to come here and ask here.

1. are the liquor stores over priced?
2. do the close early and are they open mondays?
3. do they restrict the amount of bozz I can buy?
4. Do the sell Vodka?

I am tired of hearing crap from people in florida, so decided to ask you guys since you live up there. The thing is that its 6 of us traveling and I am really thinking twice about taking 10 bottles of bozz in a plane and risking them breaking in our bags.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 12:48 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,970,733 times
1. I don't know about overpriced. I don't buy liquor that often.
2. How early is early? I think they are open until 7 or 8? Yes, they are open on Monday's, just not Sundays
3. I don't believe it is restricted..again, I don't buy it that often, so I couldn't tell you.
4. Yes, they sell Vodka.

Enjoy your trip

Old 02-12-2009, 02:13 PM

16 posts, read 62,941 times
thanks

I appreciate it.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:06 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,383,133 times
I thought I would chime in:

1) The taxes here on alcohol are quite high, but its not exorbitant. If you want "real" beer - you are going to pay quite a markup. There are some really good local micro brews which are sold at the grocery stores for reasonable prices.

2) Stores stay open until 10:00 pm.

3) Depends on what you consider a lot of alcohol at once - we buy 7 or 8 bottles of wine, maybe a case of beer, and a couple of bottles of hard liquor when we stock up, and have never been told we can't buy that much.

4) Vodka is sold, so is whiskey, scotch, rum, and all the weird flavored stuff.

Utah does have some weird laws - mainly the way it is served in restaurants and some peoples perceptions of what really goes on in restaurants where people have a drink with dinner, but its a pretty good place to be.

Have a great trip!

Old 02-12-2009, 04:22 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,970,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
Utah does have some weird laws - mainly the way it is served in restaurants and some peoples perceptions of what really goes on in restaurants where people have a drink with dinner, but its a pretty good place to be.

Exactly! Just because it may be a little different than some other states, doesn't mean that it is illegal or impossible!

Old 02-13-2009, 03:19 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,237,087 times
I just came from florida haha.

They only sell liquor at there "state liquor store" there arent a whole ton of them around. There going to ID everyone that goes inside so dont try to get it if your underage. They sell all the same stuff as a regular store, there actually pretty damn big. The prices seemed about the same as what they were in florida although I dont really drink a whole variety of things ( nor do I really drink that much period)

Old 02-13-2009, 03:31 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,383,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
I just came from florida haha.

They only sell liquor at there "state liquor store" there arent a whole ton of them around. There going to ID everyone that goes inside so dont try to get it if your underage. They sell all the same stuff as a regular store, there actually pretty damn big. The prices seemed about the same as what they were in florida although I dont really drink a whole variety of things ( nor do I really drink that much period)
You know, I have never been asked to show ID in the liquor stores, granted I am in my early 30s.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:46 PM

200 posts, read 979,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djmodel84 View Post
1. are the liquor stores over priced?
2. do the close early and are they open mondays?
3. do they restrict the amount of bozz I can buy?
4. Do the sell Vodka?
1. We are more expensive than California and Nevada, don't know if that's over priced or California/Nevada is just cheaper.
2. Don't remember closing time, think the only day closed is Sunday.
3. There isn't a limit that I know of, my friends and I have spent over $450 stocking up for house parties before with all kinds of stuff.
4. Yes, we sell Vodka, Rum, Jager, Whiskey, Tequila, etc... though I prefer good ole Everclear or Jack Daniels.

Products (http://www.alcbev.state.ut.us/Products/prod_price_lists_main.html?action=displayDivCatego ry - broken link)
Here is a link of the Utah Depart of Alcoholic Beverage Control, it shows the price and every product that is sold in the Utah Liquor Stores.

Have fun while you are here

Old 02-13-2009, 03:49 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
They don't carry certain wines, I have heard complaints from people used to certain ones that they have to order a whole case to get it as the state doesn't stock it normally.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:51 PM

242 posts, read 853,902 times
I'm pretty sure that you cannot bring alcohol into the state of Utah. I know that you can if you're flying internationally - there is a limit as to how much. Other than that, I'm pretty sure its a no go. I can't remember what the rule is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area