Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 06:02 PM

546 posts, read 2,205,995 times

Advertisements

I asked if the neighborhood was good at this property, but having a different question now…I’m very new to Utah, but we kind of like this new house we saw, the listing price is 399,900, the builder is only willing to go down to 380,000. Is this reasonable for the current market in SLC? The zip code is 84106, I’m not all that satisfied with the district schools for my child and it’s very close to the thrift store where I see some weird people occasionally. In your opinion, is 380K reasonable? I heard the SLC home price might go down 25%, so I wanted to just offer 300K….the builder realtor said that there’s not many new homes at the East Side of SLC like this new property and the neighborhood is a good one, the other new homes in this same community was also sold for around 382K last month. Also, the builder realtor said that if I don’t use a buyer agent representing me, they can use that 3% commission to build a basement for us…does that sound reasonable? Is it even a good time to buy a home now? Your input will be greatly appreciated!
Property Details - UtahHomes.com - Find Homes For Sale In Utah | Buy Sell Property Salt Lake | Financing | Agent Search
Utah Real Estate - Your One Stop Source for Searching Real Estate in Utah
School District: Granite
Elementary: Mill Creek
Junior High/Middle School: Evergreen
High School: Granite
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 10:36 PM

494 posts, read 1,899,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
I asked if the neighborhood was good at this property, but having a different question now…I’m very new to Utah, but we kind of like this new house we saw, the listing price is 399,900, the builder is only willing to go down to 380,000. Is this reasonable for the current market in SLC? The zip code is 84106, I’m not all that satisfied with the district schools for my child and it’s very close to the thrift store where I see some weird people occasionally. In your opinion, is 380K reasonable? I heard the SLC home price might go down 25%, so I wanted to just offer 300K….the builder realtor said that there’s not many new homes at the East Side of SLC like this new property and the neighborhood is a good one, the other new homes in this same community was also sold for around 382K last month. Also, the builder realtor said that if I don’t use a buyer agent representing me, they can use that 3% commission to build a basement for us…does that sound reasonable? Is it even a good time to buy a home now? Your input will be greatly appreciated!
Property Details - UtahHomes.com - Find Homes For Sale In Utah | Buy Sell Property Salt Lake | Financing | Agent Search
Utah Real Estate - Your One Stop Source for Searching Real Estate in Utah
School District: Granite
Elementary: Mill Creek
Junior High/Middle School: Evergreen
High School: Granite
In this market, I would STRONGLY advise you get a buyer's agent. You need someone to look up comparables in the area. Don't trust the builder's agent - they are looking out for the builder, not for you. With comparables, you can determine if the home is overpriced. I don't think anyone on the board (unless they live on the same street as the house you are looking at) will be able to tell you what's a fair price for the house.

I wouldn't bet on home prices falling 25%. It's nearly impossible to tell what areas will fall and what areas will increase. If you are planning on not keeping the house 3-5 years, then don't buy right now.

Most builders are firm on their selling prices... So the builder willing to drop the price indicates that it's been on the market for a while. Buying new construction is a whole different animal than buying existing. Usually, there is not much leeway in sales price. For example, when I was looking in Daybreak, I had salespeople laugh in my face when I asked how firm the price is.

Overall, find a good buyer's agent (someone on the board can probably DM you one) before you buy, even if you are buying new construction.

Remember, if you don't like the schools, you can School Choice out of those and into another. I would call the Granite School District & verify what schools are for this home. Realtors are known to be wrong when preparing the MLS listing. School boundaries are also in flux right now with the Jordan School District split & the changing demographics on the East side. Chances are, when your son enters Jr. High/High School, he will be going to a different school than the ones listed anyway.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:41 PM

494 posts, read 1,899,308 times
Does someone know a good buyer's agent for hueimo? Mine only works on the west side of the valley.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwm03160 View Post
Does someone know a good buyer's agent for hueimo? Mine only works on the west side of the valley.
kwm03160, thanks for taking out so much time to always answer my questions. what motivates you to answer on this forum? it's very nice of you....thanks again. I do know a realtor, but didn't sign any contract with her, she showed us 2 homes when we visited SLC couple months ago...the builder agent said I'll only get the basement built without extra charge if I don't have a buyer agent, so they can save that commission for building the basement....

Old 07-23-2008, 12:24 AM

30 posts, read 641,251 times
I've spent the last 2-3 months looking for a new place in the Millcreek area. I currently live in the 84109 zip code, farther east, near Skyline High School. My house is about 2100 sq. ft. and my lot is about 0.37 acres. I am at the east edge of the city, with only wilderness behind me. My bank appraisal (drive by) was $310k. I have 4 bedrooms and 1 and 1/4 baths. A walk-thru appraisal will likely be higher. In the end, I've decided to stay put and remodel, largely due to our location.

Bottom line, in my opinion, with a lot size that small and only 3 bedrooms, I think the low-to-mid 300's is reasonable today. I would not pay $380k. But, it's true that new construction is very hard to find on the east side.

As for schools, I actually attended Evergreen Jr. High in the 70's and found it to be so-so. A lot of drugs and so-so teachers. I don't know much about Granite High, but generally the high schools farther east and in Salt Lake City proper seem to have better reputations (East, West, Highland). My recommendation is to look farther east or south-east. Olympus and Skyline High Schools have great reputations. I attended Olympus and found it to be first rate.

I can recommend several agents - email me if you'd like a referral. Good luck.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:17 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,873,651 times
If built in 2007, this house has been on the market ofr at least 7 months. And it's in a PUD, which some people don't like. The lot is small and the houses probably very close together. Not worth that kind of money, neighborhood is OK but not at that price. For that money, you can get a house in SugarHouse proper (no of I-80) that is renovated.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-23-2008 at 01:22 AM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 07-23-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
If built in 2007, this house has been on the market ofr at least 7 months. And it's in a PUD, which some people don't like. The lot is small and the houses probably very close together. Not worth that kind of money, neighborhood is OK but not at that price. For that money, you can get a house in SugarHouse proper (no of I-80) that is renovated.

what is PUD? thanks.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsevrin View Post
I've spent the last 2-3 months looking for a new place in the Millcreek area. I currently live in the 84109 zip code, farther east, near Skyline High School. My house is about 2100 sq. ft. and my lot is about 0.37 acres. I am at the east edge of the city, with only wilderness behind me. My bank appraisal (drive by) was $310k. I have 4 bedrooms and 1 and 1/4 baths. A walk-thru appraisal will likely be higher. In the end, I've decided to stay put and remodel, largely due to our location.

Bottom line, in my opinion, with a lot size that small and only 3 bedrooms, I think the low-to-mid 300's is reasonable today. I would not pay $380k. But, it's true that new construction is very hard to find on the east side.

As for schools, I actually attended Evergreen Jr. High in the 70's and found it to be so-so. A lot of drugs and so-so teachers. I don't know much about Granite High, but generally the high schools farther east and in Salt Lake City proper seem to have better reputations (East, West, Highland). My recommendation is to look farther east or south-east. Olympus and Skyline High Schools have great reputations. I attended Olympus and found it to be first rate.

I can recommend several agents - email me if you'd like a referral. Good luck.
lots of good information here, I really thank you a lot for sharing.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:00 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,873,651 times
PUD=Planned Unit Development. Google it to see other examples.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:52 PM

30 posts, read 641,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
lots of good information here, I really thank you a lot for sharing.

You're welcome. BTW, just got my county appraisal today - $295K for my 2100 sq.ft. home on the upper east bench above Skyline High, with no homes behind us and 0.37 acres. And prices are falling . . . good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area