Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 01:41 PM

914 posts, read 973,455 times

Advertisements

I am seriously surprised by this, just been back for a vist. Go all over the valley and downtown. Never feel unsafe
Went to Loveloud festival and came back on trax late. Had to wait for a uber when got off at fashion place as trax doesnt run late further out with my family and never felt uneasy

Weird people feel this way !

Wow you would think where I live now back in the UK is rough when its anything but . Never had issues in Utah with car crime touch wood and lived in south jordan, murray and hubby now lives in sandy city. Not sure where this fear people have comes from as where i live now in UK is fine and in Utah felt uber safe at all hours
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 02:33 PM

229 posts, read 217,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
What areas are considered bad?

When I visited slc I looked at houses in Holladay, Millcreek and Cottonwood.

And what locations are considered the most desirable or sought after around slc?
Those are all very safe areas. There are no areas in SLC I feel I couldn’t go to because of it being terrible, but areas with the worst reputation are Glendale, parts of WVC, around Pioneer Park but it has improved, and areas around State Street. But again I frequent these areas all the time and feel fine.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:27 AM

234 posts, read 221,202 times
I'm guessing it's the upper State Street, near downtown, and not the lower part near White City, correct?

Interesting how there is a vertical divide in the city, and most people say the left side is the bad side. Any idea why it worked out this way? And are rental prices generally cheaper in those "bad" areas on the left?

Old 09-16-2018, 08:34 AM

28,092 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ut new View Post
I'm guessing it's the upper State Street, near downtown, and not the lower part near White City, correct?
I think it's probably between those two places, actually, in what is South Salt Lake.

Quote:
Interesting how there is a vertical divide in the city, and most people say the left side is the bad side. Any idea why it worked out this way? And are rental prices generally cheaper in those "bad" areas on the left?
Actually, you can't describe parts of cities by using the words "left" and "right" because those two words depend upon the direction you're standing.

Old 10-13-2018, 12:03 PM

12 posts, read 19,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I think it's probably between those two places, actually, in what is South Salt Lake.

Actually, you can't describe parts of cities by using the words "left" and "right" because those two words depend upon the direction you're standing.
lol I'm guessing they are assuming you are facing north - I do the same thing, but I'm not sure why. And prior to moving here, I did ask advice on areas from someone who lives here who said the same thing, more towards the right is preferable. Having been here a bit and driven around, I see good/bad sections all over, though downtown seems more 'modern' and kept up compared to the surrounding areas. I'm guessing the business income downtown helps keep it more maintained, and the tourist trade doesn't hurt adding to that as well. I am loving it here, way way better than Aurora CO IMO.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:35 AM

335 posts, read 517,867 times
Most metro areas are under-reporting crime when ever possible, and I betcha the LEOs in Utah are 100X more honest than the apparatchiks fudging numbers where they can - Almost impossible to hide the bodies, so compare SLC homicides rates and violent crime rates against the less honest locales, betcha you find the disparity quick

Old 11-22-2018, 09:57 PM

234 posts, read 221,202 times
Less honest locales, like the burbs?

Old 11-22-2018, 10:11 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
What I don't understand is why SLC doesn't do what NYC did in the 90s, and crack down hard on crime, criminals.
There is no evidence that "cracking down on crime" in NYC in the 90's reduced the crime rate significantly. At the same time that crime was dropping in NYC it was dropping nationwide, in many areas it was dropping faster than in NYC. I don't think that SLC has a reputation of being 'soft on crime' at all. Explaining increases and decreases in the crime rate baffles criminologists. No City has the resources to put enough cops on the streets to stop crime, criminals just move to another part of town if one area is heavily patrolled. And it appears that serious crime in SLC is dropping.

Quote:
Salt Lake City crime has declined for two straight years following a 2015 peak, with violent crime down by more than 5 percent annually and lesser offenses seeing a more modest decline in 2016 before nudging up this year, according to city police crime statistics.

The data run counter to public concerns about rising crime in Utah’s capital. But the numbers do confirm one widespread perception — that this year’s massive Operation Rio Grande initiative, aimed at reducing crime near the state’s largest homeless shelter, worked as intended, but also pushed criminal activity into neighboring areas, at least temporarily.

Citywide, the most serious offenses — aggravated assault, arson, burglary, homicide, major larcenies including motor vehicles, rape and robbery — declined a cumulative 5.4 percent in the 12 months from last December through last month, and by 5.2 percent during the same period a year earlier, the statistics show
https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...me-especially/
If I was thinking of moving to SLC and wanted to know about crime and how it impacts the locals I would look for a facebook 'crime watch" group for the City or for the part of the City I was planning on moving to.

Old 12-08-2018, 06:53 PM

3 posts, read 3,453 times
Had my car stolen in SLC a year ago.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:03 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,975,888 times
Sad to see another U student get murdered... There are striking obvious similarities between the two crimes which I will not touch as it will get the thread locked. But I’m sure if you dig a bit deeper there are clear lessons to be learned from these. I’m hopeful by the time my daughters are ready for college they will have enough common sense to avoid these traps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area