Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 09:52 AM

4 posts, read 18,704 times

Advertisements

Thanks ammonman. Do you think the Fairpark area north of North Temple and south of Rose Park will see the same gentrification? I am more into the bungalow style, and there aren't many in Rose Park proper, though there are some just south of Rose Park in Fairpark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 10:15 AM

226 posts, read 570,228 times
I have a friend who has lived in Rose Park for thirty years. I've had a lot of conversations with her over the years about Rose Park because she's the only person I know who chose to live in Rose Park when she could have afforded to live almost anywhere in the valley. She specifically wanted to raise her family in an ethnically diverse working class community so that her children would grow up without prejudice among people who are not economically privileged. She says that people who live in Rose Park do not judge people by anything except the values they live by. If you are hard working, honest, keep up your house and yard and try to be good neighbors, you are accepted in Rose Park. Her house is a very nice newer home in a neighborhood that is mostly newer. But she also has lived in a much older and smaller home in Rose Park. So I think you could find a house in your price range there. My friend is a teacher who felt that if you are willing to be involved in your children's schools, the schools in Rose Park are just as good as anywhere in the valley. She felt that her children had qualified and dedicated teachers and her two older kids have now graduated and were able to get college scholarships - one academic and one athletic, so their education was evidently comparable to what you'd get anywhere. By the way, my friend is a very devout Mormon who is the least judgmental person I have ever known in my entire life (which she'd have to be to consider me among her friends.

Last edited by UtahRoots; 12-09-2010 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: punctuation.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:40 PM

73 posts, read 148,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinginformed View Post
Thanks ammonman. Do you think the Fairpark area north of North Temple and south of Rose Park will see the same gentrification? I am more into the bungalow style, and there aren't many in Rose Park proper, though there are some just south of Rose Park in Fairpark.
I would think that area would value well also, especially with the new Trax line. We'll have to see how it goes, but so far, Trax has been very popular in the Salt Lake valley, and I think most people would assume that the forthcoming airport line on North Temple will be popular as well.

It sounds like you know what you're interested in. Go out there and get it, I've always thought it was a great part of town!

Old 07-05-2016, 02:28 AM

1 posts, read 564 times
Rose Park's overall crime rate is actually much lower than in the "safer" areas of town. This is due to a couple factors: Rose Park doesn't have an influx of people from the surrounding cities every day like Salt Lake proper does, and because it's far enough away from the downtown crime hotspots that it isn't an easy or desirable target. It's on the other side of I-15, and when it comes to crime proximity matters.

If you don't believe me, just look at the actual crime data in SLC at slcpd.com/community/crime-map/

Note: Ignore the big band of "crimeless" cities in the middle of the valley. West Valley, Taylorsville, Holladay, Cottonwood Heights, Riverton, and Herriman do not participate in the unified police department that the rest of the valley uses. West Valley and Kearns in particular have alarmingly high crime rates per capita and should be avoided, but this map gives the illusion that they're safe.

Old 07-08-2016, 02:13 PM

427 posts, read 1,309,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammonman View Post
I think your hunch was right, it's mostly because Utahns aren't used to a racially diverse neighborhood.

I personally believe that Rose Park is going to be the next spot in SLC to gentrify - and fast. It's close to downtown and has lovely housing stock from the mid-century. I know of quite a few gay couples who've moved there, which is usually a telltale sign, and younger generations aren't as freaked out by hispanics in baggy clothes. I would think that your house would appreciate handsomely in the coming decades.
I wish that were true, but with West Valley looming next to it, and the freeway separating Rose Park from the rest of SLC, I don't personally think it'll happen. I would love to be wrong though.

About Rose Park, it's generally just gang members going after each other, but be aware things like drive bys are not rare occurrences there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area