Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2019, 12:10 PM

12 posts, read 30,251 times

Advertisements

Hello all!
My husband recently got a job in Albany and we are looking to relocate from a small rural town in Arizona. We are looking up rentals for right now until we get established. I seen a few in Lebanon and am wondering what it’s like living there? How is the commute to Albany? I have 2 kids (daughter 10 & son 2) so am also wondering how the schools are? Any advice on the area would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 02:23 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Lebanon is a rural town. There is good shopping. Lebanon has a large service area so shopping is better than you'd expect for the population size. It feels like a logging town, although the logging industry is pretty much dead.

A bit lower income. Real estate is fairly reasonable in price and there are some really cute houses in town.

There is no night life, but the location is great for boating, fishing, mountain hiking. There are some really nice campgrounds close. I think there is a shortage of restaurants beyond the inexpensive family style ones and drive-throughs.

I don't like commuting, so personally, I prefer to be closer to work.

I have no ideas what the schools are like. Summer temperatures can occasionally be higher than on the other side of I-5.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:21 PM

5,452 posts, read 7,746,787 times
I'm not sure what you would gain by moving to Lebanon over Albany if you work in Albany. There are nice neighborhoods and decent schools on the side of Albany closest to Corvallis.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:58 PM

15,579 posts, read 40,446,371 times
So Lebanon is not one of those charming small towns. There isn't much of downtown and what is there isn't great so if you are wanting quaint shops, restaurants and such, that isn't Lebanon. Most of the restaurants will be fast food type of places and they do have a Starbucks and Dutch Bros there as well. That said, everything you need daily you can get there. They have a Walmart Supercenter there as well as a Safeway.

As OWS said, it has good access to nature. Gills Landing has boat access into the Santiam if that is your thing. Cheadle Park is also really nice. They also have a really great plan for city trails.

So, in my opinion, Lebanon is kind of an average city. It isn't bad, but it isn't great. It doesn't have a lot of charm, great schools, etc, but it is an improving city, in my opinion.

The high school still has issues but the elementary schools have improved and I've heard good things about the charter school there. I personally would choose North Albany schools over Lebanon schools, but if you want a smaller town then Lebanon could work.

It's about a 30-minute drive to Albany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem