Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 12:32 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,088,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
That stretch by Rooster Rock wouldn't be pleasant with a trailer. There are a lot of curves right there.

You bring up a point in that going up 101 would be the scenic detour. Then take Hwy 18 in from the coast.
I was talking about when I moved from California to Oregon. I wouldn't recommend that the OP use 101. That would be way too far out of the way. I used US-101 instead of I-5 because the distance for me was comparable and I avoided about 4,000 feet of elevation.

As for Rooster Rock, that can be avoided by taking Highway 22. The OP will still need to deal with Santiam Pass. But compared to the other options that should be a piece of cake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 01:39 PM

991 posts, read 1,520,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
The best route for pulling a trailer is definitely I5. Depending on the age of your Escape, you really don't have a lot of towing capacity (a quick internet search shows 1,500 lbs), so I wouldn't suggest taking the scenic route. You are going to have to be careful towing as it is. Take your time, accept that you'll have to be going slow up some of the grades (The Siskiyou Pass at the Oregon/California border in particular).
Also go SLOW down the hills. Limited towing capacity can lead to the trailer taking over the vehicle and fish tailing. Very scary!

Old 10-25-2018, 06:02 PM

497 posts, read 484,996 times
I moved to Oregon from Las Vegas as well. I took 95 to Reno and then crossed over into California going through Susanville up to Klamath Falls, Bend/Sisters and then out to I-5 through Sweet Home and Lebanon for the last leg of the trip. The roads are fairly curvy after Susanville, but there is a lot of great scenery.

This was my route the last time: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Las+...44.9428975!3e0

Old 10-29-2018, 05:43 PM

5 posts, read 7,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
How much time to you have?
I would stay away from I-5 as much as possible.
We are trying to make it a two day trip, since we'll be paying for the Uhaul and would like to have time to get it unpacked and returned on time in Salem, OR

Old 10-29-2018, 05:50 PM

5 posts, read 7,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
The best route for pulling a trailer is definitely I5. Depending on the age of your Escape, you really don't have a lot of towing capacity (a quick internet search shows 1,500 lbs), so I wouldn't suggest taking the scenic route. You are going to have to be careful towing as it is. Take your time, accept that you'll have to be going slow up some of the grades (The Siskiyou Pass at the Oregon/California border in particular).
Hello it's a 2011 Ford Escape 3.0L V6. Preferably I would like to take the easiest route based on the trailer alone.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:09 PM

13,075 posts, read 7,519,082 times
You worry too much. The roads are maintained. US routes.
If you are using US 22 to cross the Cascades, Stop at Breitenbush Hot Springs at Detroit, to rest your bod and soul. Reservations are requested, clothing optional. https://breitenbush.com/ From Detroit OR to Salem is ~60 miles.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:31 PM

13,075 posts, read 7,519,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRahier1992 View Post
We are trying to make it a two day trip, since we'll be paying for the Uhaul and would like to have time to get it unpacked and returned on time in Salem, OR
Drive safely. Have roadside insurance added to your auto policy & tow, it's just a few dollars. Use Les Schwab tires- they are everywhere out west. I had a UHaul tire go bad on me as the truck sat overnight. UHaul knowingly put the wrong tire on, as the previous tire failed. I had questioned the difference in the tires when I accepted the van and they said that the tire was the spare for the van. They had to call a tire shop to remove the wheel and tire. I lost that day in moving which they comp'd me. But their carelessness could have been a dangerous situation since the tire was a front tire. Check tires and tow frequently.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:58 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,088,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Drive safely. Have roadside insurance added to your auto policy & tow, it's just a few dollars. Use Les Schwab tires- they are everywhere out west. I had a UHaul tire go bad on me as the truck sat overnight. UHaul knowingly put the wrong tire on, as the previous tire failed. I had questioned the difference in the tires when I accepted the van and they said that the tire was the spare for the van. They had to call a tire shop to remove the wheel and tire. I lost that day in moving which they comp'd me. But their carelessness could have been a dangerous situation since the tire was a front tire. Check tires and tow frequently.
Many years ago, I had a tire go flat on a U-Haul trailer. I called U-Haul's 800 number and 20 minutes later the local tire shop showed up and replaced the tire. The shop was suspiciously close to where the tire went flat, for no apparent reason, while parked. Anyway I paid for the tire with my credit card, and gave U-Haul the invoice when I returned the truck and equipment. They deducted the price of the tire from my bill. I don't think I had any roadside insurance on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem