Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2016, 07:41 PM

112 posts, read 224,998 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I've studied the Oregon forums a great deal and am hoping to find some help further narrowing down some towns/cities to check out. Salem is really high on the list at this point. Corvallis is looking pretty good too. We would be moving from Las Vegas.

A little about us:

Both grew up in small Ohio towns. Have lived everywhere from Germany to Tampa, FL, to Las Vegas. He is in his early 50s and a retired disabled combat veteran. Loves anything to do with music. I am in my early 40s, also love music, diy, and art. I work from home as a data analyst and have been with the same company for 20+ years. I can work from anywhere in the US and our household salary will let us live decently just about anywhere but California.

We are not cookie cutter type folks, yet have and appreciate some conservative values having been born and raised in the midwest. We love all types of people. We are both heavily tattooed (arms being the most visible) but are able to get along in almost any crowd.

We are ok with smaller towns if we can drive 30 minutes to Salem or Corvallis. We don't have to be out every night, but do like to go out and socialize now and again. We aren't big drinkers, but bars are where you socialize in LV.

I believe our plan will be to rent. Would prefer to keep that around 1600-1800 (less would be great too). Must be a house. Prefer it to not be right on top of neighbors. Neighbors are cool, but a little bit of a yard space would be nice. We have 3 small dogs with one being a registered service animal (for his combat related issues.. amazing dog). We will be selling our home in Las Vegas but don't necessarily need to rush into another mortgage.

Access to good medical care is also important to us.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions of where to target our search for our visit in January. If there's anything else you'd like to know about us that would help, please ask.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 09:39 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,537,409 times
I am partial to Salem. We live West Salem.
Salem is convenient. Got a couple of small colleges. A river. Amtrak.
West has its own Library and mundane stores. Macy and Nordy is across the Bridge. Close to wineries and their summer music stuff. A friendly tavern with live music Thr, Fri, Sat and $10 PrimeRib on Saturday. And $10 PrimeRib Sunday breakfast.

Renaissance Faire (Shrewsbury Renaissance Faire -- Kings Valley - Oregon -- Gates are Open from 10am to 6pm -- September 10th & 11th, 2016), in KingsValley, mid Sept.
StateFair, late Aug.
Salem Art Fair, mid July.
Portland Waterfront festivals accessible by Amtrak train or Amtrak bus or Greyhound or 50 miles by car.
2 McMenamins, 6 (?) other brew pubs.
McMinnville is 30 miles north.
Corvallis is 40 miles south.
Eugene is 70 miles South.
Coast is 60 miles west.
Crest of Cascades is 90miles East. Bend/Redmond is 150miles.
Seattle is 210 miles north.

Salem Hospital and Dallas Hospital are now part of Oregon Health and Sciences University Hospital (OHSU) system.

Rentals are getting scarce and more expensive.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:33 PM

48 posts, read 57,844 times
Hi - If you want to see the latest on where conservatives congregate, you might look at the election results to the county level on the Oregon Public Broadcasting site-

Election 2016 . News | OPB

or Oregon Secretary of State

Also, I noticed a positive comment about a new VA medical facility in this thread about Eugene-

https://www.city-data.com/forum/eugen...l?highlight=VA

If you haven't already posted to the main Oregon forum, you might consider that for additional responses about Corvallis and other cities.

These are two of the bigger property management companies in Salem.

Premium Property Management Inc.
Northwest Pacific Property Management Vacancies

And there's a Salem Craigslist as well - https://salem.craigslist.org/

Good luck!

Old 11-18-2016, 04:03 PM

497 posts, read 485,395 times
I'm from Las Vegas as well, and I've lived here in Salem as well as Hillsboro. Personally I would rather live in Hillsboro even though it's not a conservative area at all (close to Portland). If I were to choose to live elsewhere in the state it would be further south or southeast of my current location.

Eugene is pretty nice, but maybe a little too far from your target area. If so check out Dallas, Monmouth and maybe even Mcminnville. I have been in all three extensively and I really like the small town feel of Dallas, Mcminnville is larger but nice too. All three are within 30 minutes of Salem.

Personal preference if I had the choice at the moment would be Bend/Redmond/Prineville. But that's just me

Last edited by FullArmor; 11-18-2016 at 05:18 PM..

Old 11-23-2016, 09:59 AM

112 posts, read 224,998 times
Thank you all so much for your great and informative responses. I should have clarified that I don't necessarily need a conservative town, just that we don't mind that. As FullArmor knows, once you've lived in Las Vegas for any length your perspective is pretty different. Having had a midwestern upbringing, we both appreciate hard working and conservative people as well as those who skew the other way.

You've all given me many options to research.

Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:58 PM

15,586 posts, read 40,468,715 times
My concern for you is finding a rental that will take 3 dogs. Especially a house. The rental market is very tight and while your service dog isn't an issue, the other two dogs will be in securing rental housing here.

Old 11-25-2016, 06:58 PM

497 posts, read 485,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
My concern for you is finding a rental that will take 3 dogs. Especially a house. The rental market is very tight and while your service dog isn't an issue, the other two dogs will be in securing rental housing here.
I have to agree, I looked at renting for almost a year and had no luck finding a dog friendly rental. That sealed it for me, so I bought a home instead. I almost rented an apartment that allowed up to two dogs of any non-aggressive breed, but the monthly rent was overly high.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:52 PM

197 posts, read 459,708 times
This is a company that's been in Salem for a long time and handles a lot of rentals. Ned Baker Real Estate - Rentals

Old 12-10-2016, 01:02 AM

95 posts, read 129,872 times
Smile SoLame

Ok, SoLame might be a bit harsh. I live in West, and aside from my particular area.. I do not like Salem that much. Which is precisely why I am listing my house in March and moving.

That being said, Salem really isn't a pretty alright city. Its not my cup of tea, but for retirees and a slower pace from major cities.. it is fine. There is a decent amount of music and community events throughout the year. I am an event coordinator, and my schedule is full with special events.

As for living in Salem, I would choose West, then South. I personally wouldn't live in any other areas.. but that is just me.

Reasonable towns outside of Salem which you might find enticing:
Monmouth (which is between Salem and Corvallis - best of both worlds)
Silverton (they have a lovely downtown area, and Mac's Place always has something going on)
Amity (tho I hear its gone down hill)
Dayton (it is a nice small town, good community feel to it)
Mt. Angel (I do a lot.. and I mean a LOT of events in Mt. Angel.. mainly the Festhalle (Oktoberfest, Hazelnut Fest, WurstFest. It would not be my preferred small town, but people love it.)

The rental market in Oregon is rubbish. Over priced rentals, and even more confined with animals. Honestly.. you are better off buying. (Shameless plug.. my house will be for sale in a few months and backs up to a park).

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem