Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 08:53 PM

77 posts, read 305,822 times

Advertisements

Rob, that's what we think too after doing our numbers. Plus my husband got a good raise offered, so we have more room in our budget. From what we've seen so far online, there are plenty nice houses around $1500 that will suit us just fine. And we will still have plenty left to save some and have fun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 10:39 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,136,048 times
I would strongly recommend that after you arrive you look for a bargain or foreclosure to buy. The real estate market in the Sacramento/SanJoaquin Valley has over corrected, and real estate in certain areas is under valued. If you make a wise purchase you will make a good profit in the next 3-5 years. Once all the foreclosure activity has run its course and the economy bounces back, prices will increase. Thats how people in California afford housing, by buying and selling at the correct times.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:53 PM

79 posts, read 343,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I would strongly recommend that after you arrive you look for a bargain or foreclosure to buy. The real estate market in the Sacramento/SanJoaquin Valley has over corrected, and real estate in certain areas is under valued. If you make a wise purchase you will make a good profit in the next 3-5 years. Once all the foreclosure activity has run its course and the economy bounces back, prices will increase. Thats how people in California afford housing, by buying and selling at the correct times.
You have a good idea. A fringe benefit is their property taxes will be substantially lower than if they were to purchase after values begin to increase.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:48 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,136,048 times
^^thats true as well

Old 03-04-2010, 11:18 AM
lgt

469 posts, read 1,343,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
$70k is near poverty level.
I strongly disagree with that. For years I managed to do alright on half that or less while supporting my wife when she was in collage. You certainly can live a modest lifestyle on or better in this area on 70K.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:29 PM

77 posts, read 305,822 times
Hello there,

I figured I give a little feedback, since maybe other people will have similar questions one day as we had.

We have been living here now for 4 months. All I can say is everything is great We are doing way well with our income here. We ended up moving and buying a house in Dixon. Granted we paid almost twice the price compared to our house in CO, which was just a little smaller, but much newer...but oh well.
I really can't see how someone could say living on $70.000 is near poverty level

We live in a very nice neighborhood and we found our utility bills for example, to be much lower than in CO. Also money for groceries goes much further here, if one is wise and does the shopping in the right places (LOOOVE Pedricks Farm shop). I find myself often times having plenty money left over from our grocery budget
I even started going for some classes to Davis and we can easily carve that money out every month.

We enjoy dining out about 2-3 times a month, we go places, we now and then go on a weekend get away somewhere within a 6 hour range.

All this is possible with our "poverty level" income of about $75.000 to 80.000...NO credit cards here

We love Dixon for its peaceful and green streets/neighborhoods. We wanted it small and so for now it suits us just right. Maybe in a few years, we would think about moving to Davis...it's a great small town.

Well, I hope our experiences so far will maybe help other people in the future. You can make it in CA...even on a poverty level income

Old 08-29-2010, 08:35 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,242,469 times
Good, glad it all worked out well for you.

I always appreciate it when folks make the move and then provide some insights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento