Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2009, 08:36 PM

2 posts, read 6,853 times

Advertisements

I got a job in Sacramento and my wife has got a job in Fremont. I am looking for a place to stay somewhere in between these two locations. I have just moved from Texas and new to California.

Any advice? !?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 08:46 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadrrao View Post
I got a job in Sacramento and my wife has got a job in Fremont. I am looking for a place to stay somewhere in between these two locations. I have just moved from Texas and new to California.

Any advice? !?!
If you live in Fairfield your wife can take 680 all the way to Fremont and avoid the inner Bay Area altogether. However depending on the time, 680 is also very heavy from Martinez basically all the way to Dublin.

And then it clears up a little bogs down again around Sunol.

She needs to leave really early. 5am should get here there in an hour. If she leaves at 6am I think it might take twice that long.

You will be traveling in the opposite direction of the commute until you get to Davis and 80 into Sac can be heavy thru Davis and the clear up if your headed onto 80-however if your headed onto 50 it can be rough as well.

I know the SF to Sac commute pretty well as I did it for a while. It was horrendous by car.

Another option your wife has is to drive to Concord or Richmond and take BART from there to Fremont, but Im not sure how far she'll be from the Fremont BART station. Some office parks offer shuttle buses-she should ask.

Otherwise, live in Concord, she can catch BART to Fremont and you can take an easier drive to Sac.

Mind you, its not as easy as you think. I mean, these are incredible distances to be traveling to go to work. back and forth.

80 btw is a nightmare leaving Sac sometimes all the way to the Bay.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:59 PM

2 posts, read 6,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
If you live in Fairfield your wife can take 680 all the way to Fremont and avoid the inner Bay Area altogether. However depending on the time, 680 is also very heavy from Martinez basically all the way to Dublin.

And then it clears up a little bogs down again around Sunol.

She needs to leave really early. 5am should get here there in an hour. If she leaves at 6am I think it might take twice that long.

You will be traveling in the opposite direction of the commute until you get to Davis and 80 into Sac can be heavy thru Davis and the clear up if your headed onto 80-however if your headed onto 50 it can be rough as well.

I know the SF to Sac commute pretty well as I did it for a while. It was horrendous by car.

Another option your wife has is to drive to Concord or Richmond and take BART from there to Fremont, but Im not sure how far she'll be from the Fremont BART station. Some office parks offer shuttle buses-she should ask.

Otherwise, live in Concord, she can catch BART to Fremont and you can take an easier drive to Sac.

Mind you, its not as easy as you think. I mean, these are incredible distances to be traveling to go to work. back and forth.

80 btw is a nightmare leaving Sac sometimes all the way to the Bay.

Thanks,

Do i need to be careful where to stay in Richmond? That is, if I look for some place to stay in Richmond.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:18 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,260,120 times
Quote:
I look for some place to stay in Richmond.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:24 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Quote:
Thanks,

Do i need to be careful where to stay in Richmond? That is, if I look for some place to stay in Richmond.
The safest place to stay in Richmond would be someplace outside of Richmond.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Richmond-California.html

Check out the crime statistics. I suppose it's less dangerous than Oakland, but not by much.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:32 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Thanks,

Well, Richmond has a bad reputation and its crime rate is high, but some areas inside Richmond are actually nice. Point Richmond is very nice.

But its too far from BART. If your considering being close to Richmond, then I suggest Pinole, El Sobrante and El Cerrito which are quiet and much safer-although El Cerrito is a bit pricier(worth it tho and EC has its own BART station).

Someone mentioned Oakland-there are plenty of safe neighborhoods in Oakland that are very nice, but they are also affluent and a bit expensive. I personally commuted for a few months from Oakland to Sacramento(I had a consulting project at CalPERS) before eventually moving there in 2003 and I would leave Oakland at 6am and get into DT Sac in about 1 hr and 10 mins in no traffic-it was a nice drive actually.

If your wife drives from Richmond to Fremont, it could take an hour just to get to Oakland and then another hour to get to Fremont.

There's just no way of sugarcoating it. Short of living in Fremont or her taking BART, your wife is going to have a rough commute. What she can do to avoid it is leave as early as possible. Maybe Im exaggerating, but this last month before I left back to Brazil, I was holding meetings in San Jose 5 days a week and was commuting from Oakland thru Fremont. Hated that drive a lot. The plus is your reverse commute in the morning should be a relative breeze, but a long breeze. LOL

Anyway, Im sure others will have suggestions.

Good Luck.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:12 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times
Go with Concord, Pleasant Hill or Walnut Creek - both on the BART line BART - Station List

Or check out Martinez which is on the Capitol Corridor rail line which goes to both Sacramento and Fremont CCJPA :: Home :: Stations (http://www.capitolcorridor.org/home/stations.php - broken link)

Anyway you cut it, both of you will be spending a lot of time commuting in opposite directions .

As for Richmond, you couldn't pay me to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento