Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 11:13 AM

4 posts, read 8,840 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am thinking of moving to the Sacramento area. I am coming from Upstate New York. I am an licensed North Carolina Attorney, and would be looking for legal jobs in the area until I sit for the bar in July. I would like a smaller city or town environment. If anyone can give me information on some areas surrounding Sac. I was thinking Grass Valley, Colfax, Rancho, Auburn or any other area that you would care to provide info about. I would like an active health community. I am single female so it would have to single- friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 11:17 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,268,774 times
Midtown

Old 10-13-2009, 02:09 PM

2 posts, read 5,292 times
You have to choose the area that you are thinking to move first. Grass Valley will be different than Sacramento, also Auburn.
I live in Rancho Cordova, where there are a lot of New Houses.
Sacramento City has a lot of things to offer too.
Midtown is an interesting place to live as well.
You might want to drive around the neighborhood before making your decision.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:44 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,897,939 times
A couple of things to think about.

First the local economy has been hit particularly hard by the collapse of the housing bubble. Unemployment is 12% in the area and that is up by almost 5% in the past year.

http://www.calmis.ca.gov/file/lfmonth/sacr$pds.pdf

The two main industries in Sacramento are government and real estate and when the real estate market collapsed, tax revenue fell dramatically which has created the need for significant budget cuts.

If it were me, I wouldn't be moving her if I didn't have a job already lined up. Instead I would be looking at any of the places that are lighter on this map. Maybe somewhere in Texas like Austin or someplace closer to NY, like Pittsburgh.

http://www.bls.gov/lau/maps/twmcort.pdf

The other issue is what type of legal work were you hoping to do? I don't want to sound like I am bashing lawyers, but lawyers tend to create demand for more lawyers. In bigger cities there are more corporate clients and more ability to specialize both of which result in higher wages for lawyers in those areas.

Grass Valley and Colfax are very pretty areas, but its a much smaller area with a much smaller legal market. As an attorney, you will probably make a lot less and probably try to do a lot more things (maybe family law, estate planning and bankruptcy). Even then you might have problems finding work because you just don't have enough personal connections with the locals. When the economy is this tough, you probably are going to the odd person out.

Honestly I wouldn't recommend moving to California right now. The local economy here is Detroit like in terms of disfunction.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:05 AM

491 posts, read 1,262,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshrn897 View Post
Hello everyone,

I am thinking of moving to the Sacramento area. I am coming from Upstate New York. I am an licensed North Carolina Attorney, and would be looking for legal jobs in the area until I sit for the bar in July. I would like a smaller city or town environment. If anyone can give me information on some areas surrounding Sac. I was thinking Grass Valley, Colfax, Rancho, Auburn or any other area that you would care to provide info about. I would like an active health community. I am single female so it would have to single- friendly.
Ironically, I am an attorney who is licensed in Texas and North Carolina. My wife and I live in Rancho Cordova which is a suburb of Sacramento. I did not take the CA bar because I totaled up the costs and for me if would have been about $6000. This would have included the BarBri, all of the state bar fees, etc. I'm too old and have too much experience for firms to hire me as an associate even if I passed the Bar.

We are going to get out of here as soon as my son graduates from high school. In less you have a really good reason for moving here, I wouldn't do it. This state is a complete mess. Unemployment here is over 12%--you won't get hired for any legal job without a CA license. I know--I looked for two years before giving up and working at Lowes and other menial jobs. I was not the highest educated person working in the store by the way. The guy working with me had a Phd. My wife who works for the state has been hit with three mandatory furlough days per month. This also applies to the attorneys working for the state. The budget mess is beyond ridiculous. Right now on a scale of one to ten, I give this state a two.

Ok, I would say that Rancho is not bad, but you have to look at it on a street by street basis. We like were we live, but three streets over is a really bad apartment complex. Stay away from South Sac--it's full of gang-bangers from Oakland. Folsom is great--We'd be living there now if we could afford it. Fair Oaks is nice too. Citrus Heights is a little iffy. The area called "Mid-town" between Rancho and downtown is really nice--old bungalows, etc. but more expensive.

Really, I wouldn't move here--people are moving out of state in droves right now.

Last edited by ElectroPlumber; 10-14-2009 at 11:16 AM..

Old 10-15-2009, 11:23 AM

3 posts, read 8,336 times
Smile Opportunities abound even in Sacramento Califonia

After reading most of the responses from the others I would agree with their assessment of the economy. However, even as bad as it sounds there are great opportunities and more once the economy starts to improve and more people leave Sacramento. So don't get too discouraged but I would certainly try to have a job lined up before you make a commitment. One of the largest employer for attorneys here in Sacramento is the state legislature and the state of california. I suggest you search the spb.ca.gov website for any vacancies. As for homes in Sacramento or nearby vicinities alot depends on your taste and what you can afford. I recommend Mr. Paul Aeillo, Realtor, who can assist you in locating a new home in your budget and will give you one percent return on the commission. Nice older man with lots of patience. His website address is Aiello Paul - 1 Percent 2 Buyer Real Estate - Sacramento, CA

I personnally like Folsom, Granite Bay, Rancho Murieta, Tahoe Park area, if you can afford it. Other areas like midtown, green haven, north natomas, Rancho Cordova are good as well. Good luck!

Old 10-16-2009, 12:18 AM

527 posts, read 1,325,445 times
You mentioned Colfax, Auburn, Grass Valley. Why are you interested in these areas? This can help us better know what you're looking for in the Sacramento area! As an attorney, you can most likely afford to live in most areas around Sac, and Placer county.

best,
Robby

Old 10-17-2009, 06:50 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,170,546 times
None of the areas the op listed seem to be really what I would consider single friendly. Midtown is what I think of when I think of single friendly.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:09 AM

4 posts, read 8,840 times
Thank you everyone for your posts they have been helpful. I have just returned from california and definitely will not move without a job already lined up.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:21 PM

527 posts, read 1,325,445 times
How was your visit? Where did you go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento