Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2009, 11:20 PM

8 posts, read 77,514 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
We are moving to Sacramento area soon, to be exact the street is:
Coroval Drive in Sacramento 95833 , I guess this is considered "Natomas" area.

Question: is this considered:
OLD NATOMAS or SOUTH NATOMAS?

Is this a safe, ok area of SOUTH NATOMAS?
Should we be concerned?

Me and my husband have 3-small children. Is this an ok area to raise children? What are some of the issues or concerns we should be aware of?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 11:28 PM

132 posts, read 427,210 times
Old Natomas and South Natoams are the same thing. The newer part of Natomas is North Natomas (which is where I live).

Any part of zip 98533 is questionable. One street could be alright, one could be pretty grimey. I'm wondering why you're moving to a street in South Natomas without having visited the area first? That doesn't really sound like a well-laid plan.. a lot of parts of SN are pretty dingy. Heck even North Natomas has some rundown vibes from some of the unfavorable tendencies seeping in to the area.

I personally wouldn't raise kids or have a family there, but that's just me. I used to live in 95834 and had my car broken in to on several occasions, but I chalk that up to the apartment complex I was living in at the time.

North Natomas is nice in some parts but recently it's been getting a bad rap. I've lived here 3 years and I'm growing tired of it, but I know if someone was forcing me to live in either part of Natomas it'd be where I live now.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:36 PM

8 posts, read 77,514 times
Thank you for the response, my apologies, I have in fact seen and walked through the property. The neighborhood and the homes seem great. It was quiet, nice looking homes, landscaped and was well kept with manicured lawns, the homes in the area looked cared for. However because I'm new to the area (from the east bay) I want to get more information from the natives or from those who have more knowlege of the area than I do. We are buying a home at a fantastic price, but I wanted to know more about the area we are buying into......

Old 07-27-2009, 12:44 AM

132 posts, read 427,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellybee View Post
Thank you for the response, my apologies, I have in fact seen and walked through the property. The neighborhood and the homes seem great. It was quiet, nice looking homes, landscaped and was well kept with manicured lawns, the homes in the area looked cared for. However because I'm new to the area (from the east bay) I want to get more information from the natives or from those who have more knowlege of the area than I do. We are buying a home at a fantastic price, but I wanted to know more about the area we are buying into......
That makes sense now.

I just know from personal experience and where I live now, if I had a choice, I wouldn't live in South Natomas. One of the last places I'd move to nowadays.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:01 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,268,774 times
I personally rather live in south natomas.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:24 AM

119 posts, read 518,489 times
The place you are looking at is one of the nicer parts of a neighborhood that isn't doing so well.

Enter the address here and you can see what I mean.

Online feature - Crimemapper - sacbee.com

You might want to spend some time reading the crime blotter at the Natomas Buzz.

I agree with Handiquack here. If I had to choose between N or S Natomas, I probably would try to look either North of 80 or West of 5.

NATOMASBUZZ.COM – THE Natomas News Blog

The big issue in that neighborhood is poverty. They built a bunch of condos there in the late 80's and those condos haven't aged well.

54% of the kids in Natomas high are on free or reduced priced lunch. For a school that was built in the past 10 years, that number is shocking. Usually neighborhoods have to be a lot older for that to happen.

2007 Base API School Report (CA Department of Education)

Old 09-08-2009, 02:06 PM

3 posts, read 6,254 times
Default in reply

54% of the kids in Natomas high are on free or reduced priced lunch. For a school that was built in the past 10 years, that number is shocking. Usually neighborhoods have to be a lot older for that to happen.

that's because it's easy to "lie" about your income on the school lunch forms in order to get free lunch. I know people that make over $75,000 combined income and their kid eats free lunch.. And no they are not a minority family. Lying comes in all colors..just remember that....

Old 09-08-2009, 02:36 PM

119 posts, read 518,489 times
I am sure that there is fraud in the program nationwide. That said, I am not sure that explains the amount of free lunches in South Natomas. While a certain percentage of the population probably is willing to abuse the population, I am not aware of any specific reason why these people should be uniquely overrepresented in South Natomas. In truth, I just think that neighborhood is getting bad quickly.

I do agree that 54% on free or reduced priced lunch is incredibly high for a school built in the past 10 years. But that neighborhood has been going downhill for a while.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:58 AM

63 posts, read 149,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handiquack View Post
Old Natomas and South Natoams are the same thing. The newer part of Natomas is North Natomas (which is where I live).

Any part of zip 98533 is questionable. One street could be alright, one could be pretty grimey. I'm wondering why you're moving to a street in South Natomas without having visited the area first? That doesn't really sound like a well-laid plan.. a lot of parts of SN are pretty dingy. Heck even North Natomas has some rundown vibes from some of the unfavorable tendencies seeping in to the area.

I personally wouldn't raise kids or have a family there, but that's just me. I used to live in 95834 and had my car broken in to on several occasions, but I chalk that up to the apartment complex I was living in at the time.

North Natomas is nice in some parts but recently it's been getting a bad rap. I've lived here 3 years and I'm growing tired of it, but I know if someone was forcing me to live in either part of Natomas it'd be where I live now.
I live in North Natomas in an apartment complex - my unit is one bedroom. I like it here, feel safe as the crowd is clean. Where exactly do you live so that I'd be more informed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
View detailed profiles of: