Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2023, 11:33 PM

579 posts, read 511,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
The only thing that's really changed in Sacramento is that it's more crowded and expensive. It's still two hours from SF and Tahoe . It's still hot AF during the summer. It's still more of government town than a magnet for talent. It's fine, but I don't ever see it being anyone's first choice of metro when they think of California, unless they're from there or they really just want to live in an average, mid sized city.
I would say alot has changed in the last 10 years. The dining/nightlife/vibrancy has kicked up a couple of notches. Covid took some wind out of it' sails, but it's increasingly being recognized as a place where normal everyday people can thrive, unlike the rest of the West Coast.

Seattle is like an SF light, but a bit cleaner because of the rain. Not my cup of tea personally. Too expensive and a wealth gap only about 5 or 10 years behind the Bay Area. And too gloomy for me. I fantasized about retiring in the Pac NW, but then a good week-long rain Strom reminds me how much I need the sun.

As for Sac, I think people really take it out of context. As far as state capitals go, I would put it in the Top 10 in terms of offerings. You could do much worse. Glad you enjoyed your stay in CA, the door is of course always open to all. God speed up there. Oh and as for magnet of talent, I would argue Sac spawns some of the best politicos in the USA. It's pretty much AAA for those who later advance to DC.

Last edited by Valley Boy; 03-18-2023 at 12:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2023, 12:39 AM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post
I would say alot has changed in the last 10 years. The dining/nightlife/vibrancy has kicked up a couple of notches. Covid took some wind out of it' sails, but it's increasingly being recognized as a place where normal everyday people can thrive, unlike the rest of the West Coast.
I agree with this.

Sacramento has definitely changed alot, improved in dining/nightlife/vibrancy/culture and in all things that make for a well-rounded interesting city and region.

Now, a huge blow, especially to Downtown came with the covid lockdowns, riots, homelessness, crime, and WFH, We lost some very nice well established restaurants and small businesses. But central cities all across the USA have been affected similarly.

We recently went to a NBA Sacramento Kings game and it was quite vibrant and exciting downtown at DOCO; we also had a chance to dine at the Willows restaurant located at the Exchange Hilton-Curio Hotel downtown and we were very impressed with the food and menu. The hotel and restaurant are fabulous.

The Sophia Center/B Street theatre is back to its full schedule and the crowds are numerous. As annual subscribers we are very happy to be attending live music venues as well as live theatrical productions again.

New downtown boutique hotels have opened during or after Covid: Some in beautifully restored old historic buildings

10 years ago none of these boutique brand of hotels existed downtown:

Hyatt House (Historic Eastern Star Building)
Hyatt Centric at DOCO
Fort Sutter Hotel (Hilton-Tapestry)
The Exchange Hotel (Hilton-Curio)
*AC Marriott opening later this year
The Sawyer - A Kimpton hotel
*The Citizen Hotel (Autograph Collection) - first to open (10+ years ago)

Last edited by Chimérique; 03-18-2023 at 12:48 AM..

Old 03-18-2023, 02:57 AM

The Kings have brought a lot of vibrancy back to DoCo. We also had the NCAA here last week. I don't recall ever seeing that many tourists downtown. And all the major concerts that have happened as well.

And to think there were folks that complained about it, when it was being built.

Old 03-18-2023, 05:42 AM

11,403 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
You will have worse summers in both Tennessee and South Carolina. Tennessee will be colder than Sacramento in the winter , but you can complain about the weather there as much as you complain about it here.

It is your right as a human being to complain about the weather,
I moved from Sacramento to Knoxville 2 years ago. I don't find the mid-summer heat to be worse than Sacramento. 105-degrees of August dry heat vs 92 degrees of wet heat. I am sweating after a while either way.

I confess that Knoxville humidity is an issue for around 3 weeks in August, but this isn't Miami.

Meanwhile, it takes way less running AC (at much lower cost) to get the house cool from 92-degree ambient temps than it it does from 105-degree ambient temps. Same for hopping into the car at noon. The car takes a while to cool down after sitting in 105 degree sunshine in Sac -- much more than 92 in Knoxville.

Sacramento summer heat used to be easy to endure when I was poor and had no AC in my car and just a small swamp cooler in the house. I acclimated. Once I had some money, I jumped from one AC cooled environment to another, and Sacramento summers got a lot harder.

I AC up all summer in Knoxville. I used to AC up all summer in Sacto. What is the diff?

Winters are decidedly colder, but not brutal. Bundled up is bundled up and it is not as if I was running around in my shorts and T-shirt in Sacramento winters. It ain't Florida.

Meanwhile, I get a few fun dustings of snow each winter, and I love the frequent summer thunderstorms. Fall foliage season is wonderful. So far the trade-off in climate has been fine.

My negatives changing from CA to TN is, bugs and April pollen. Clouds of pollen all April long. Now that we are a masked society, I can wear a mask during April.

Meanwhile, climate is just ONE consideration when choosing a place to live, not a be-all and end-all.

Old 03-18-2023, 05:52 AM

11,403 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post

Seattle is like an SF light, but a bit cleaner because of the rain. Not my cup of tea personally. Too expensive and a wealth gap only about 5 or 10 years behind the Bay Area. And too gloomy for me. I fantasized about retiring in the Pac NW, but then a good week-long rain Strom reminds me how much I need the sun.

As for Sac, I think people really take it out of context. As far as state capitals go, I would put it in the Top 10 in terms of offerings. You could do much worse. Glad you enjoyed your stay in CA, the door is of course always open to all. God speed up there. Oh and as for magnet of talent, I would argue Sac spawns some of the best politicos in the USA. It's pretty much AAA for those who later advance to DC.
Sacramento night life downtown really blossomed with the last housing boom. I noticed a lot more widespread areas of restaurants, bars, and clubs after 2005/2010. It used to be K-street and J-Street and then it was just all around the Capitol and toward mid-town, etc. I noticed an improvement during the late 1990s, but nothing like the 2006 housing boom. That really improved Sacramento nightlife downtown and got it over the hump to where it was good.

In the 1980s, there wasn't much beyond the Oasis Ballroom and a few other downtown nightclubs and such. Old Sac was really rink-a-dink, but maybe still is. I saw the Knack and the Outlaws at the Oasis Ballroom. Hardly any coffee shops around Sacramento. Winchell's donuts anyone?

Old 03-18-2023, 07:04 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
Sacramento is like Miss Congeniality standing next to Miss America on a national stage- San Francisco is "Miss America" (has it all going on, in the spotlight)............Sacramento is beautiful in her own way but also quiet and understated.

For people who struggle with boredom, Sacramento is too quiet.

Californians are too busy living to talk about it, but Sacramento offers a great quality of life experience.

Old 03-18-2023, 01:17 PM

2,890 posts, read 1,994,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I moved from Sacramento to Knoxville 2 years ago. I don't find the mid-summer heat to be worse than Sacramento. 105-degrees of August dry heat vs 92 degrees of wet heat. I am sweating after a while either way.

I confess that Knoxville humidity is an issue for around 3 weeks in August, but this isn't Miami.

Meanwhile, it takes way less running AC (at much lower cost) to get the house cool from 92-degree ambient temps than it it does from 105-degree ambient temps. Same for hopping into the car at noon. The car takes a while to cool down after sitting in 105 degree sunshine in Sac -- much more than 92 in Knoxville.

Sacramento summer heat used to be easy to endure when I was poor and had no AC in my car and just a small swamp cooler in the house. I acclimated. Once I had some money, I jumped from one AC cooled environment to another, and Sacramento summers got a lot harder.

I AC up all summer in Knoxville. I used to AC up all summer in Sacto. What is the diff?

Winters are decidedly colder, but not brutal. Bundled up is bundled up and it is not as if I was running around in my shorts and T-shirt in Sacramento winters. It ain't Florida.

Meanwhile, I get a few fun dustings of snow each winter, and I love the frequent summer thunderstorms. Fall foliage season is wonderful. So far the trade-off in climate has been fine.

My negatives changing from CA to TN is, bugs and April pollen. Clouds of pollen all April long. Now that we are a masked society, I can wear a mask during April.

Meanwhile, climate is just ONE consideration when choosing a place to live, not a be-all and end-all.

Epic drought out west - little to no drought in the mid Atlantic

Apples to oranges

Old 03-18-2023, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Sacramento night life downtown really blossomed with the last housing boom. I noticed a lot more widespread areas of restaurants, bars, and clubs after 2005/2010. It used to be K-street and J-Street and then it was just all around the Capitol and toward mid-town, etc. I noticed an improvement during the late 1990s, but nothing like the 2006 housing boom. That really improved Sacramento nightlife downtown and got it over the hump to where it was good.

In the 1980s, there wasn't much beyond the Oasis Ballroom and a few other downtown nightclubs and such. Old Sac was really rink-a-dink, but maybe still is. I saw the Knack and the Outlaws at the Oasis Ballroom. Hardly any coffee shops around Sacramento. Winchell's donuts anyone?
So last year around this time, I went downtown on Saturday night and there was a ton of people from the Conention Center to Doco. It was nuts. Now with the Kings in the mix, it's gotten really lively and the nightlife nodes are really getting more noticeable than even 10 years ago. Some places are starting to get packed.

Old 03-19-2023, 08:44 AM

543 posts, read 1,740,098 times
Every morning it seems the local KCRA news starts with a shooting (often fatal) either in Sacramento or Stockton. It didn't use to be that way. The homeless situation is one of the worst in the nation. Troubled times have come to our hometown.

https://youtu.be/77gKSp8WoRg

Old 03-19-2023, 10:30 AM

2,890 posts, read 1,994,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Epic drought out west - little to no drought in the mid Atlantic

Apples to oranges

Just wanted to add:

Spring 2022 drought map looked much worse. No surprise Sacramento broke heat records in 2022.

Some parts of the country arent experiencing the negative aspects of climate change yet(parts of the midwest, Mid-Atlantic). While texas, California, Louisiana, and Florida to name a few are being heavily affected while we speak. Count your blessings, but dont think for a second your luck will last forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento