Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2008, 03:13 AM

2 posts, read 7,256 times

Advertisements

I just put in a refundable deposit on the Fremont Mews Apartments at 1400 P street in Midtown/Downtown but then I discovered that they are a mixed-income development by CADA. Should I reconsider living there? Everything else about it seems great... underground parking, great-looking new units...but it is surprising to find out that 40% of their units are dedicated to low or very-low income residents. The area is also very close to Fremont Park which seems to be somewhat sketchy from what I understand? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 09:30 AM

3 posts, read 34,620 times
Default Forget mixed income, look at the crime.

I used to live in midtown Sacramento on P and 21st and loved it until my car got broken into and then it got broken into again a month later, not that this will matter to you because you will have a garage. Just do a search on the sacbee.com website for their Crimemapper function and look at the address your want to move to and you will see what kind of crime is prevalent there and then make your decision. Seeing an apartment complex during the day is one thing, see what happens to the complex at night. I personally would not want to live in midtown. Sure it has a lot to offer but the costs are pretty high.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:10 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
resdoc: Just so you know, "low-income" in Sacramento means someone making $36,000 a year, and "very low-income" means someone making $24,000 a year. So, your neighbors are likely to be office techs, baristas, retail workers, etcetera--not to mention the majority of residents (60%) who have to have a professional income to afford living there.

Fremont Park is just fine, occasionally homeless people hang out there but homeless people hang out in every park. I'd worry more about the dudebros doing some serious drinking at Empire/R15 a block away (and then either looking for a fight or drunk-driving their SUVs through the neighborhood) than occasionally getting spanged by street people.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:34 PM

175 posts, read 795,668 times
Default How do you tell anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
resdoc: Just so you know, "low-income" in Sacramento means someone making $36,000 a year, and "very low-income" means someone making $24,000 a year. So, your neighbors are likely to be office techs, baristas, retail workers, etcetera--not to mention the majority of residents (60%) who have to have a professional income to afford living there.

Fremont Park is just fine, occasionally homeless people hang out there but homeless people hang out in every park. I'd worry more about the dudebros doing some serious drinking at Empire/R15 a block away (and then either looking for a fight or drunk-driving their SUVs through the neighborhood) than occasionally getting spanged by street people.
It's hard to tell incomes unless you know the area. You can ask if there is section 8 housing. I learned the hard way while waiting on the completion of our house.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:48 PM

Alisande: I know the building (have been inside of it), the area (I live nearby), and Sacramento's breakpoints for low-income and very low-income housing--those are the breakpoints used by HUD for what used to be called "Section 8 housing" (they are currently known as "Housing Choice vouchers") which are also used to calculate whether or not an apartment is low-income/very-low-income/extremely-low-income (less than $18,000/yr.)

Sacramento has an inclusionary housing ordinance: in new rental housing units, 5% has to be low-income and 9.5% has to be very-low-income (0.5% has to be extremely low income.) Note that making a rental unit affordable to low-income means that the rent is equal to about 1/3 of the tenant's pre-tax income. In other words, a $1000 a month apartment (for one person) is technically "low-income", a $650 a month apartment is "very-low-income."

Old 05-13-2008, 05:54 PM

175 posts, read 795,668 times
Default ERrrr

[quote=resdoc07;3748955]I just put in a refundable deposit on the Fremont Mews Apartments at 1400 P street in Midtown/Downtown but then I discovered that they are a mixed-income development by CADA. Should I reconsider living there? Everything else about it seems great... underground parking, great-looking new units...but it is surprising to find out that 40% of their units are dedicated to low or very-low income residents. The area is also very close to Fremont Park which seems to be somewhat sketchy from what I understand? Any input would be greatly appreciated![/quote

I hate to say it but I wouldn't live there.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:07 AM

Alisande: Why wouldn't you live there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento