Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 10:00 AM

6 posts, read 15,005 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have a 3 year old and want to live in a 1800-2500 s.f. newer house (suburbia type neighborhood) and be close to shopping (target, grocery stores, etc) and churches. We would like a good school district and nice parks, etc.

My new job will be near downtown so I am really able to choose any area.

I've tried sifting through the posts but couldn't find what I was looking for so thought I'd post my own.

Oh, and our budget to rent (we will rent for a year because we have a house to sell in Fresno) is between $1600-$1900.

I checked out the school ratings but wanted to also hear from people with first hand experience as well.

Thanking you in advance!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 12:26 PM

762 posts, read 2,030,776 times
Elk grove

Old 09-18-2013, 01:02 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,800,910 times
Antelope. Good schools, but still within your price range. Alas, not close to downtown, but nothing with good public schools is.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:36 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,998,561 times
Folsom might fit as well.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:49 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindylou2u View Post
My husband and I have a 3 year old and want to live in a 1800-2500 s.f. newer house (suburbia type neighborhood) and be close to shopping (target, grocery stores, etc) and churches. We would like a good school district and nice parks, etc.

My new job will be near downtown so I am really able to choose any area.

Oh, and our budget to rent (we will rent for a year because we have a house to sell in Fresno) is between $1600-$1900.
"your new job is NEAR downtown." What does that mean? Can you share streets? "Best place to live in Sacramento for us?" It all depends on how far you want to commute. The better school districts and newer suburbia neighborhoods will be Folsom, El Dorado Hills, Roseville and Elk Grove - all of which will involve a commute. As for parks, there are many to choose from in most communities in the Sacto region. Churches are very common too.

A couple of questions: Do you have a particular type of church you are looking for? Are you looking for a house or an apartment? What distance or time is a comfortable commute for you? Are you interested in public transportation such as light rail? Will your job be within walking distance of a light rail station? Is a walkable neighborhood important or are you ok with being dependent on a car?

Here's some rental websites to check out:
HORIZON PROPERTIES -- Dozens of homes for rent in the Sacramento area
Sacramento Rental Property Management | Home Run Property Management
house for rent sacramento ca california rental home property for rent rental property 95819
https://www.padmapper.com/

Good luck!

Old 09-24-2013, 12:59 AM

762 posts, read 2,030,776 times
How are west sac schools? That is suburbia and close to work

Old 09-24-2013, 11:59 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,306,051 times
When you move to an area that you are unfamiliar with, I think its a good idea to rent first and then see how what you like with the idea that you can always move later when you understand the neighborhoods better. If you are working downtown, I would look for some housing near downtown I could see Natomas or West Sac being a fine place to find a relatively new house near fairly close to downtown, just look for something with short lease. I think redfin has the best interface for seeing what how good schools are in a given area.

Real Estate, Homes for Sale, MLS Listings, Agents | Redfin

Old 10-01-2013, 06:30 AM

39 posts, read 76,209 times
I owned a home in the pocket and loved it as there are plenty of parks, sidewalks, bikepaths, playgrounds, couple of community pools and even a boat ramp in the area. It is convenient to downtown and shopping. You can get a nice duplex Riverlake Halfplexes or home 7499 Windbridge Drive or Pocket/Greenhaven House by the River for that price range. Check out Craigslist. Just don't get too close to I5 and stay West of it for sure. If you find one in the north section of the pocket, it would be better. See if you can get a 6 month lease instead of a year, because if you find something different you like you can leave sooner. There are plenty of rentals around, you just have to negotiate. You can drive up to Truxel road for many stores and restuarants or south to Elk Grove for the same. If you want to go the the Fair Oaks mall then its not that far to drive either, just a bit of traffic in any direction, because its Sacramento. http://sacramento.craigslist.org/apa/4093948217.html

Last edited by mattdaddy204; 10-01-2013 at 06:43 AM..

Old 06-02-2014, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,978 times
I am Purchasing my first home in Sacramento,and want to have a good to great walk score, as well as a good public transportation score. I have been told one neighborhood to keep in mind is Arden Acrace,and to keep away from South
Sacramento (95822) as well as Del Paso Heights ( 95838) what I need are good to great zip codes and neighborhoods to
look for, any suggestions. I do not have kids so schools are not a problem, neither are churches, just would l.ike to be close to stores,and public transportation.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:05 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,262,190 times
24th and meadowview
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento