Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 02:31 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,011,829 times

Advertisements

If she works in Roseville and downtown, I would start by looking in Roseville or Rocklin just to avoid the commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 02:46 PM

14 posts, read 49,305 times
Thanks Nina. I guess I would have a "challenging" commute to Folsom or Rancho Cordova? We'd like to find a place we can raise the kids in with nice schools.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:52 PM

Roseville and Rocklin both have good schools. The northern part of Rocklin you can get your kids in 10 ranked schools K-12. Not living there it's hard to comment on the "family friendly" part, but my take is where you find 10 rated schools, you find a lot of families.

Folsom and Roseville, have you looked at the American River Canyon area of Folsom, narrowing down the drive for both of you and good schools.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:20 PM

154 posts, read 692,555 times
Default Don't write off Woodland

You haven't mentioned considering Woodland, but you might want to take a look at it. It's close enough to Davis that you can easily get the University amenities. The public schools aren't great, but there are good private alternatives, both in Woodland and Davis, and the commute to Sac is easier than going across the causeway every day.

Woodland's housing market is still affordable, and $450K will get you a very comfortable house. There are gorgeous old historic Queen Annes, Italianates, and craftsman bungalows. The city is friendly to cyclists and has lovely parks with big trees.

Though Beamer Park on the north side is a good area, and there are some newer developments along Road 102, my favorite part is southwest Woodland and the Faria Park area. This is also the area with the easiest commute to Davis.

Take a look at 211 Pendegast St, Woodland, CA 95695 (MLS# 13036012) or

213 Maedell Way, Woodland, CA 95695 (MLS# 13016831)

Old 07-27-2013, 05:49 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,793,212 times
Smile Roseville is split in two divided by Hwy 80

If for some reason you thought you would be more in Roseville and/or Folsom/Rancho Cordova areas, then I would choose East Roseville/Granite Bay over the west side of Roseville. I like it better than the west side, but not if you need to head to Woodland daily. Since you mentioned it might only be a year, then there are probably some good areas on that side of Hwy 80 with older homes that are more to your liking and you can take Sierra all the way down to Hwy 50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir99 View Post
Hi all,

This is very helpful. Any tips if my wife were to split her work week between Roseville/downtown Sacramento? Would Roseville a better option that Folsom or Fair Oaks?

Again, I am in high-tech marketing and may work from home, or look for another opportunity. Based off of my background and research, I am under the impression I would likely look for work in Folsom, Roseville, Rancho Cordova, or downtown Sacramento.

Thanks.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:44 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,860,030 times
I agree with the other posters, take a look at West Roseville/Rocklin if your wife's job is in Woodland/downtown Sac. In regards to the suggestion to look at East Roseville/Granite Bay, both of these will be a further commute on surface streets, until you finally get to a freeway (Sierra turns into Hazel...highly congested).

IMO, the American River Canyon area in Folsom is going to put you in a very similar position to Fair Oaks. It's a few miles up Folsom-Auburn Rd from the freeway. F-A Rd is not as busy as Sunrise, but it can get really congested. And the majority of things you will need are across the river (towards the freeway). I believe there is only one elementary school in the neighborhood. The middle school and high school are across the river...just something to think about.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:39 AM

14 posts, read 49,305 times
This is great information. After reading many of these posts, I have come to the conclusion that similar to the Bay Area, there will be traffic and 30-45 minute commutes. I have accepted this. I'm not sure if it the Sacramento traffic will be a shocker to me, or if it will be nothing compared to what I face in the Bay Area now.

What I want to consider strongly here is ultimately what's best for the family, i.e. good area with great schools and somewhere we can enjoy during the weekend (live where you play). Jobs will come and go, but we want to live somewhere that has longevity in terms of quality of life. We are still leaning Folsom and then Fair Oaks. Roseville/Rocklin are also in the mix, but not as high as Folsom.

Caligirlz, We have gone through American River Canyon, and really liked it. Are you saying that it is a challenge just to get to a grocery store / shopping / drop kid off in the morning, etc.? My child is only 1 right now, so if he can ride his bike to middle school / high school, should be fine.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:09 AM

Shopping and such is not an issue in American River Canyon. Getting to the elementary is no issue, however I would not recommend a bike ride for a child to middle/high school from American River Canyon. It's over the bridge and down congested streets with lots of lights. If you want a bike ride to higher schools, you will need to live in the part of Folsom to the East of the river.

Lots and lots of family activities in Folsom.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:56 PM

8,674 posts, read 17,313,890 times
One thing that seems a bit hard to fathom for Bay Area transplants is that the Sacramento region is geographically about the same size as the Bay Area, but with about one-quarter the population. Most of that population appeared in the post WWII era, and so most of the built environment is intended for the automobile and only the automobile. While the Bay Area's small towns were often older farming towns or streetcar suburbs connected by steam or electric rails, in Sacramento those communities didn't extend out much farther than the current city limits. So everything is inherently farther apart--bigger house lots, farther between stores and restaurants and schools and churches and everything else, accessible primarily by busy feeder streets that are dangerous for cyclists of all ages. Shopping and such (and transportation in general) is not an issue if you drive everywhere. That's just how these neighborhoods were designed.

My experience with Sacramento and Bay Area commutes is limited, but yes, expect 30-45 minute commute times as a matter of course unless you make a conscious effort to live in a city or neighborhood closer to your workplace.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:57 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,860,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir99 View Post
We are still leaning Folsom and then Fair Oaks. Roseville/Rocklin are also in the mix, but not as high as Folsom.

Caligirlz, We have gone through American River Canyon, and really liked it. Are you saying that it is a challenge just to get to a grocery store / shopping / drop kid off in the morning, etc.? My child is only 1 right now, so if he can ride his bike to middle school / high school, should be fine.
There is 1 grocery store/complex (The Village Shopping Ctr) in ARC at the corner of Oak Pkwy & ARC Drive. It is relatively small compared to the rest of the shopping options across the river. There is also shopping/restaurants at Greenback & Folsom-Auburn Rd. There is shopping in Orangevale, which would be west on Greenback, but I can't remember if there is a grocery store out there.

Your child will not be able to ride his bike to middle or high school, IF you live in ARC. There is 1 elementary school in the neighborhood > Carl Sundahl on Inwood. The middle school for ARC is on Riley, across the river. There are 2 HS, both across town...1 near the fwy and the other in Empire Ranch on Broadstone Pkwy.

I have friends who got really tired of the driving for their children (& moved to the other side as soon as they could). Yet I have other friends whom LOVE it, and never considered it an inconvenience. Everyone has a different tolerance level for "driving" and the mountain-like feel overrides any possible inconvenience for a lot of people.

Folsom is an awesome community, and ARC is a beautiful and unique neighborhood, many people live in there and and LOVE it. I definately think you should drive around and check these things out and decide what is most important to you.

PS. If you like ARC, you may want to check out Lexington Hills or Willow Creek. Both neighborhoods are older, have mature trees and are at a slightly higher elevation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento