Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2023, 08:27 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,571,470 times

Advertisements

I’m going to keep posting data proving how we are having a MUCH COLDER year than normal just to prove my point to you Chim, okay? It should be at least 10 degrees warmer on average than this 30-35F frigid temps we have had most of fall winter spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2023, 09:48 PM

6,907 posts, read 8,282,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
I’m going to keep posting data proving how we are having a MUCH COLDER year than normal just to prove my point to you Chim, okay? It should be at least 10 degrees warmer on average than this 30-35F frigid temps we have had most of fall winter spring.
Ok, Mix, be my guest, that's what this thread is all about.

You don't have to convince me, so it's colder than average, so what? Last year, actually several years in a row, Sacramento winters were warmer than average and a lot drier than average. It all balances out, that's how we get averages.

Let's say you prove that the average high and low were at least 10 degrees colder than normal/average....it's only one winter, and what would that tell us about climate change, nothing really.

But you are exaggerating when you say 30F-35F for most of the winter, fall, and spring......thats crazy, no it has not been that cold, everyday?, 24 hours a day? Nope.

Last edited by Chimérique; 02-24-2023 at 10:12 PM..

Old 02-24-2023, 09:56 PM

Hey Don't,
Latest rain accumulation in inches: Feb 24, 2023

Sacramento Valley:
Redding: 22.55
Sacramento: 19.41
Red Bluff: 11.86

San Joaquin Valley:
Modesto: 14.08
Fresno: 11.05
Bakersfield: 4.67

Old 02-24-2023, 10:27 PM

2,922 posts, read 2,011,856 times
Its not over yet for us. 12 inches likely for fresno once this storm is over.

11.50 is the average for the entire year. Edit. Bako could get snow tomorrow, chim!

Big sur

Hasnt san diego been colder than usual, too. No escaping it out west this year, it seems. Take it or leave it.

Old 02-24-2023, 11:10 PM

Nice ^^

Placerville got lots of snow for 1,800ft elevation.
Coast Range-Mt. Diablo got over a foot they say at 3800+ ft. elevation

As soon as 50 opens, I'm heading on up to Tahoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1NCXvYqLiU

I almost always end my day at Heavenly doing this run from the top to the bottom-it's on the California side.

I've skied this run "hundreds" of times. Occasionally see a bear dart across luckily when I'm on the chair lift, he's supposedly a regular. :-)

Last edited by Chimérique; 02-24-2023 at 11:32 PM..

Old 02-25-2023, 09:21 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,266,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Its not over yet for us. 12 inches likely for fresno once this storm is over.

11.50 is the average for the entire year. Edit. Bako could get snow tomorrow, chim!

Big sur

Hasnt san diego been colder than usual, too. No escaping it out west this year, it seems. Take it or leave it.
Yes, we live in San Diego, we are a bit inland in Scripps Ranch, and it feels like the coldest winter in years, because we have to run the heat in our house every day, so even though we are in our third month of not having to water the lawn, we're spending almost as much on natural gas...

Not breaking any records by any means, we've had colder periods before, we've had lower snow levels before, and according to my memories on Google photos and facebook, we've even had just as much rain and snow this time of year several times in the past decade. But it's the persistence of chilly weather for months on end that's unusual. Normally, we get some chilly and/or rainy weather interspersed with some dry warm periods, but this year, we've had hardly any warmth. I think we've had maybe five days above 70° in the last 3 months. Now our winter average is in the mid 60s, so we can't expect it to be above average all the time, but it's been consistently below average, like we are barely even getting up to 60°, most days. It's not normal to have weeks and weeks in a row of 50s, and we've even been having sporadic high temps in my area below 50. For example, today, we're expected to top out at 47. I'm sure it'll be more than 50 in the center of town where it tends to be more moderated by the ocean. But we are still part of the city limits out here.

And maybe that's what people in Sacramento are noticing as well, it's the persistence of chilly weather more than the severity of it. We may have been spoiled by so many drought years, but this feels like something we haven't really experienced like this statewide since the '90s. We've had rainy winters, but not this constant chill.

Old 02-25-2023, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Chim,

I wear multiple sweaters in layers and set thermostat to 64F and still feel cold indoors.
Never felt much cold in San Diego compared to here.
I guess it depends what years you lived in San diego. This year, we've been waking up to our house temp being as low as 59 but more often about 62 to 64. We set the thermostat at 67 downstairs when we are home, but we're mostly bundling up. I can't remember the last time the house felt warm. It seems like we're always slightly shivering. In fact, I feel like that right now. My hands and ears are always cold. But as I mentioned in my post a few minutes ago, the consistency of cold weather down here is very unusual this year. I will say, some friends of ours who live in bankers hill, which does not get as cold at night, say that their condo never cools down enough, no matter how cold the weather is. I remember that experience from our time in the East Bay living in Emeryville. When you are in a condo building, surrounded by neighbors on all sides of you, and you only have one exterior wall and most of your walls face to the inside, it's incredibly insulated. I don't think we ever ran the heat in that condo, but we ran the AC constantly in the summer, even though the Summers were pretty cool by the bay. So your type of housing makes a difference too.

Old 02-25-2023, 09:35 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,571,470 times
My upstairs runs hotter about 10 degrees more than downstairs so may make room upstairs for my home office in winter.

Old 02-25-2023, 11:48 AM

Quote:
My upstairs runs hotter about 10 degrees more than downstairs so may make room upstairs for my home office in winter.
Wow, that's a big temp difference. Ours is not so great, but that's a good idea. Also, I use an electric space heater by my feet when I work. It's really economical.

Old 02-25-2023, 12:00 PM

Hey Don't,
Latest rain accumulation in inches: Feb 24, 2023

NorCal Coast:
Crescent City: 31.33
Eureka: 25.42
San Francisco: 22.87

Central Coast:
Monterey: 21.24
Santa Maria: 13.86

SoCal Coast:
Long Beach: 11.63
San Diego: 8.54
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento