Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2022, 05:29 PM

6,913 posts, read 8,287,541 times

Advertisements

Don't,
Sounds like its gonna be bad, just don't forget how nice the last five days have been, lows 90's in Sacramento with low temp in the upper 50's.

I'll be flying back to Sacramento just in time for the record heat in California, darn....but, after we pick-up the dogs in Sac we are taking a beeline straight to the coast Stinson Beach-San Rafael area (mid 70's), so we will miss at least half of this forecasted long stretch of record breaking heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2022, 03:25 AM

How many days of 100F or more since May, June, July, and August, 2022
Total Days = 123

Heat Index
Phoenix - 89 days

Las Vegas - 76 days

Fresno - 36 days

Sacramento - 9 days

Recorded
Phoenix - 93 days

Las Vegas - 72 days

Fresno - 51 days

Sacramento - 23 days

Old 08-31-2022, 03:55 AM

How many days did the Temp Cool Significantly 63F or Below, not just comfortable, but COOL
during the summer season to date - May, June, July, and August, 2022
Total Days = 123

Phoenix - 2 days

Las Vegas - 8 days

Fresno - 37 days

Sacramento - 102 days

Old 09-01-2022, 09:41 AM

3,475 posts, read 5,269,294 times
So after a triple digit day recorded yesterday, Google is forecasting another eight consecutive days at or above 100f. In the middle of that heatwave, there will be some low temps in the 70s.

Yes, Sacramento is blessed with some very pleasant early morning temperatures quite often in the middle of summer, so yes, Sacramento is much better than Vegas or Phoenix in summer, but that's an easy competitor. Our friends who have now experienced their second summer in Sacramento have decided they're not going to write it out any longer and will be looking to leave the area next spring and move somewhere cooler. For many people, it's too hot too often, others might love it. I guess my point is, it's very very difficult to keep convincing people that Sacramento summers are actually really pleasant despite getting a couple of pleasant hours in the early morning. Let's face it, it's pretty darn hot. There are worse places, but it's hot a lot. So most people stay indoors in the hot part of the day, and then the city comes alive at night when the evenings are warm and lovely. I think that's a more accurate and enticing reality then pointing out the 6:00 a.m. low temperature all the time. The temps that should be pointed out are how wonderful it is at 9:00 p.m. compared to places that are either cooler or hotter. It's such a wonderful time to be outdoors and enjoying a summer's evening. Just my opinion!

Old 09-01-2022, 10:55 AM

TS,

1. You said your friends were from the coast or inland coast (Bay Area). Most Californians who grew up or spent most of their lives in the temperate, cool-mild, comfortable coastal California climate have a very low tolerance for any type of cold or heat. Most folks across the nation grew-up with uncomfortable humid heat and cold that is much worse than Sacramento. Which is the whole point of this thread, Coastal Californias paint a picture and judge Sacramento based on weather and climate that simply does not exist any where else except a few other coastal Mediterranean environments across the globe, none in the USA.

As California goes including Sacramento, we are very spoiled in how easy-going are climate is.

2. My data is for Sacramento proper and the Southern part of the metro, where your friends live it is 5-10 degrees warmer than Sacramento proper. Except for the once a year heat wave, Sacramento experiences more than a couple of hours of Cool daily for daylight hours, and the late morning early afternoon is Comfortable. Almost always, The entire night is Cool.

3. Sacramento is by far more comfortable than most of the USA, not just Phoenix, Vegas and the Desert Southwest. I guess you are forgetting about the rest of the year that is not summer. Sacramento has a very mild winter, and excellent spring and fall.

Last edited by Chimérique; 09-01-2022 at 12:04 PM..

Old 09-01-2022, 01:26 PM

2,934 posts, read 2,019,228 times
Chims data leaves this out

Fresno has had a very, very hot summer
Sacramento has had a very hot summer
But the desert twins have had near average summers. So it's not an exact apples to apples comparison. Yet the desert cities are still much above the CA cities.
Another thing worth noting is that no wind data was included. Just from random searches during the summer, Vegas has had the most wind with Fresno behind it. Wind cools the body 5f even at warm temps. That wind is why you often hear Eastern vacationers praising Vegas summers.

Edit: comparing Sacramento to desert cities isn't a bad thing. People from the bay and even locals love to pretend that Sacramento is the hottest city on the planet. Well, Chim is just showing those people that there are levels to heat. And that Sacramento summers are actually underrated. His(her?) Study on weather is one worth doing.

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 09-01-2022 at 02:22 PM..

Old 09-01-2022, 06:44 PM

This does not look good

Interesting
La's a mess whenever it gets hot
Bay area has lucked out so far

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 09-01-2022 at 06:55 PM..

Old 09-03-2022, 12:45 AM

3,475 posts, read 5,269,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
This does not look good

Interesting
La's a mess whenever it gets hot
Bay area has lucked out so far
Just got back from SF, and it is a cold night as always. But the daytime in and around Oakland has been absolutely perfect. A good thirty degrees milder than farther inland.

Old 09-03-2022, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Just got back from SF, and it is a cold night as always. But the daytime in and around Oakland has been absolutely perfect. A good thirty degrees milder than farther inland.
Yeah, my cousin had to use her heater in SF today.
Odds are good that SF escapes this wave, but I don't think Oakland is 100 percent in the clear.

I bet the bay is buzzing all week from tourists. Great news for the struggling businesses there

I wanna go to Morro, but it's gonna be packed for the next 7 days. I'll probably settle for the Sierra next weekend. Hope the wildfire is put out soon.

1150pm friday
Per google

Sacramento - 75
Fresno - 86 (110f Friday. Hotter than Vegas, bako, and phx)
Bakersfield 91
Phoenix 92
Las Vegas 95(eek)

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 09-03-2022 at 01:30 AM..

Old 09-03-2022, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
We have not been to the Bay in like forever.......usually Labor Day and after marks the time when we "do" the coast. I missed several Stern Grove concerts in SF this summer, darn.

Sierra in Winter and Spring, except Tahoe all year long
Sacramento all year long....including summer :-)
The Coast - Fall, Winter, Spring
SoCal - Never, just kidding....look forward to some trips down yer way

Last edited by Chimérique; 09-03-2022 at 07:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento