Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 11:16 PM

6 posts, read 8,891 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to California, and one of the main reasons is the weather. I lived in Florida and now live in New York and hate the weather in both states. Florida was always too hot, and New York gets too hot in the summer. I like a place with mild climate. I can handle cold weather just fine but not heat. 70 degrees is as hot as I like it to get. Anyway, I would first secure a job before I move but all that aside, I am lost as to what areas to look into. I do plan on having a kid soon (within a year) and would like an area with decent schools and low crime. Definitely an area with low drug use (that includes marijuana). I know areas like Humbolt County have a high marijuana use so that's out, but I was thinking about maybe the Roseville area, Elk Grove, or even Sacramento. I'd be renting to start off and I'd like the rent to be no more than $900 with utilities. I know I can find that in areas like Elk Grove but I'm not sure if it's a good area. Anyone that could help I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!! Also I'm a vegetarian (considering becoming vegan) and would like to be nearby an organic supermarket (or at least one with an organic section) and maybe a few vegetarian/vegan restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 11:27 PM

137 posts, read 344,669 times
Trying not to be overly snarky here, but just to confirm... You want to find a place in California near an organic supermarket and "maybe a few" vegetarian or vegan restaurants, where people don't smoke much pot?

If such a place exists in this state, I don't think you or I could afford to live there.

The greater Sacramento area is known for summer temperatures in excess of 100 degrees. I'm not sure you know what you're getting into here.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:01 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,278,163 times
It gets hotter than 70 degrees even in Humboldt and Del Norte County, and there are marijuana users all over the state. Are you sure you don't have us mixed up with some other state?

Old 04-12-2013, 12:15 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,839,974 times
Sacramento/Roseville/Elk Grove meets your criteria for decent schools, lower crime (dependent on neighborhood), organic supermarkets/ restaurants/ farmers markets.

You may want to try some of the smaller cities in the Central Valley, but you will have to deal with the heat. The cooler climates near the coast won't meet your budget.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:18 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,800,128 times
Summers are very toasty warm here, but it is a dry heat, not a humid one like you have back East. You probably want the North Coast or San Francisco, pot notwithstanding.

However, rents in those areas are double your target range, for starters.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:20 PM

9 posts, read 20,260 times
I'm thinking you're thinking of a mystical place...

No higher than 70 is going to be tough to find anywhere. Coastal is going to be your best bet there, though it can hit over 70 in areas in the summer too all along the coast.

Of course when you get to the coast you're adding much higher rents and higher drug usage (pot or otherwise). To be fair, drug usage is going to be high everywhere in the state. It'll be hard to meet all your qualifications.

I'd throw my hat in for Morro Bay for you for climate wise---- just had some friends move away because they needed more heat . But cost is going to be an issue anywhere on the coast mainly. Think long and hard about what you need/want and have room to have some give and take. Cost is not always something that can be budged on...

But as to the Sacramento area---- there's no way you'll be ok with the heat around the whole Sacramento region. Harder drug usage is more of an issue around here. Because you're not going to get away from it anywhere I'd look into trying to not move to areas as high in meth usage and lighten on the pot usage. You don't have to like it. I don't use it myself, but it won't phase me to have high smoker---- pun was not intended--- usage.

You say the main reason for choosing CA is the climate. Have you thought about going further north into areas of OR or WA?

Old 04-12-2013, 02:13 PM

409 posts, read 957,164 times
Fort Bragg

Old 04-12-2013, 09:28 PM

6 posts, read 8,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danie728 View Post
I'm thinking you're thinking of a mystical place...

No higher than 70 is going to be tough to find anywhere. Coastal is going to be your best bet there, though it can hit over 70 in areas in the summer too all along the coast.

Of course when you get to the coast you're adding much higher rents and higher drug usage (pot or otherwise). To be fair, drug usage is going to be high everywhere in the state. It'll be hard to meet all your qualifications.

I'd throw my hat in for Morro Bay for you for climate wise---- just had some friends move away because they needed more heat . But cost is going to be an issue anywhere on the coast mainly. Think long and hard about what you need/want and have room to have some give and take. Cost is not always something that can be budged on...

But as to the Sacramento area---- there's no way you'll be ok with the heat around the whole Sacramento region. Harder drug usage is more of an issue around here. Because you're not going to get away from it anywhere I'd look into trying to not move to areas as high in meth usage and lighten on the pot usage. You don't have to like it. I don't use it myself, but it won't phase me to have high smoker---- pun was not intended--- usage.

You say the main reason for choosing CA is the climate. Have you thought about going further north into areas of OR or WA?
Thank you for your response. I don't care if other people smoke marijuana but I would prefer to limit the amount of people I know that do use it. I haven't really considered Oregon but I might look into it.

The main things that I want are:
-Rent under $900 a month
-Average temps under 70 degrees year round
-Safe area and decent schools.

The marijuana thing isn't a huge deal but it is something I'd like to avoid being around as much as possible which is the only reason I mentioned it. I understand that you need to give and take on a few things when looking to move somewhere else.

I have a very very low tolerance to heat, I always have, but maybe it won't be so bad since it's a dry heat.

Anyway, again thanks for your response. I will check out Morro Bay.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:08 PM

137 posts, read 344,669 times
Don't totally discount Humboldt county. Yes, there is a lot of marijuana grown there, but it's grown in the forest - not in the city. If you like organic, veg/vegan, you will be really happy with the options in Arcata/Eureka. The biggest downside of that area is absolutely NOT the drugs, it's the lack of jobs.

I could also suggest Mount Shasta, but depending on what you want to get for your money, the rent might be a bit high, and the jobs situation is just as bad if not worse than Arcata/Eureka. The up-side is that there's a lot of natural/organic type people there and some unbelievable scenery.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:57 PM

120 posts, read 216,692 times
My advice is don't! It's a mess here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento