Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 09:19 AM

9 posts, read 19,893 times

Advertisements

My husband works from home, and with his job, we can live anywhere in Northern California. We are deciding between Folsom, Pleasanton, and Morgan Hill. We have two young boys, so schools and outdoor activities are very important to us. We love running events, water sports, and biking. We also want a friendly and active community. Please help us make a decision about the best place to live and raise a family in Northern California! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 09:26 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,995,484 times
Your housing budget will be a big part of that equation. There are lots of discussions about Folsom on this board that you can check, and I'm sure more people will chime in here. Based on what you like to do, I would say Folsom is a great place for that. Check the school ratings for that side of things.

School Rankings for the Sacramento metropolitan area, California

You will find the majority of schools in Folsom to be top rated, same with Pleasonton, not so much with Morgan Hill.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:27 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,210,109 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/25954708-post5.html

Old 09-05-2012, 11:08 AM

584 posts, read 1,340,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taliau007 View Post
My husband works from home, and with his job, we can live anywhere in Northern California. We are deciding between Folsom, Pleasanton, and Morgan Hill. We have two young boys, so schools and outdoor activities are very important to us. We love running events, water sports, and biking. We also want a friendly and active community. Please help us make a decision about the best place to live and raise a family in Northern California! Thanks!

Pleasanton if you can afford it.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:43 PM

4,025 posts, read 3,302,099 times
All are nice places to live. Its more about what type of lifestyle you could afford in each of those areas. Housing costs are going to be much higher in Pleasanton or Morgan Creek. So if your income is the same in all three that probably means that if you moved to Folsom you probably could afford to either live in a bigger nicer better upgraded home or just save more money each month for college and retirement than you would if you lived in Pleasanton or Morgan Creek.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:55 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,651,448 times
Agreed. All things equal, Folsom will get you more for your money. I don't know Pleasanton or Morgan Hill well, but they're well-regarded 'burbs, just like Folsom. I imagine you'll find good schools in each. I do like the outdoor recreation you find nearby, though Pleasanton is a little more isolated. Morgan Hill is closer to the redwoods west of Silicon Valley, which are gorgeous. That said, you deal with Bay Area traffic (vehicular, plus crowds), which is less of an issue in Folsom. Folsom has the lake nearby, tons of biking, and the Sierras are quite close.

Summers are hotter than the other places you mention, but honestly, you just adjust for that. We do outdoor stuff all summer--we either head to elevation, or we stick to mornings and evenings. (Folsom gets a little less morning/evening cooling than Sacramento though.) On a hot Saturday, you'll often find us taking a 2 hour bike ride in the morning, relaxing or running errands or whatever during the day, and then doing yard work or gardening as soon as the sun ducks behind the trees. Air pollution is lousier than if you were closer to the Bay breezes, but that's not an issue for everyone.

You get BART in Pleasanton and (possibly?) CalTrain in Morgan Hill if you like SF or the Bay Area in general. Folsom has a nice light rail to take you to Sacramento. And you can take a great Amtrak ride from Sac to Oakland, but that's a pretty long trip if you're starting in Folsom.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,300 times
Folsom

Old 09-07-2012, 12:42 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,799,515 times
If you can afford Morgan Hill or Pleasanton, then by all means go there. Folsom is a fine place, like Roseville, but like Roseville, it is full of people who wish they could afford Morgan Hill or Pleasanton.

It is a great conversation starter in many parts of Greater Sacto to ask the new neighbors, "What part of the Bay Area were you priced out of?"

Old 09-08-2012, 12:05 AM

98 posts, read 442,859 times
I have visited all three places. Folsom has grown on me. The bike trails around the river are fantastic. The town is compact with a number of good restaurants. The access to lake tahoe, downtown Sacramento and the airport are reasonable. The heat is definitely a bit warmer but very dry and I did not mind it. I think the price difference in housing would clinch it for Folsom. Pleasanton housing seems overvalued and it is still a long ways away from downtown SanFran. There is much to be said for picking Folsom and banking the house savings and taking occasional day trips into San Francisco.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:07 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,838,350 times
The housing inventory is very low in Folsom right now. People are waiting 9 months+ for a house...while loosing out to cash buyers in bidding wars....just something to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento