Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 12:50 PM

13 posts, read 27,336 times

Advertisements

I am a Vegas native- live in Summerlin, I am a Hygienist, my husband in sales and getting transferred to Northern California. He needs to be able to get to Stockton 1-2 times per week, very flexible hours and travels 1-2 time per month so needs to get to Sacramento Airport. We have two kids at home son will be a Junior and daughter going into 8th grade. Oldest son starting Univ Nevada at Reno. I can look up the school rankings. Should we be looking in Folsom, ROCKLIN, area? how crazy will that drive to Stockton be?? or should be look in Brentwood- we love the suburb feel and are HUGE lake people- we spend every weekend on lake havasu. Where would you move? Its like we have too many options!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 01:10 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,000,687 times
Well Folsom and Rocklin aren't really in the same area. Both are nice areas and have good schools and a suburb feel. Folsom is further from the airport, but maybe an easier drive down to Stockton because you have options of back roads if highways are slow. Either way, it's a bit more than an hour drive. Folsom is very close to Folsom Lake and 90 minutes to South Lake Tahoe...Rocklin is 90 minutes to the north side of Lake Tahoe.

I can't speak to Brentwood except you'll probably find higher housing costs and a shorter drive to Stockton.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:41 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Brentwood/Discovery Bay is a 20-30 minute drive to Stockton city limits, much closer than Folsom or Rocklin. I live in Stockton BTW.

However, based on your specifics I would recommned Rocklin first, Folsom second and Brentwood a distant third. The Housing costs in all three areas are about the same.

Like NN stated the Sac Airport is a closer drive to Rocklin and Folsom might be a slightly closer drive to Stockton depending on when your husband commutes and the traffic. Either way your looking at about a 70-80 minute drive to Stockton from those two cities.

Now the only reason I could see to living in Brentwood/Discovery Bay is to be much closer the the Bay Area.

I know several people who live in Discovery Bay and their kids go to a private high school in Stockton.

BTW will be in Vegas at the end of the month. Woo Hoo!!! party time. LOL

Old 07-16-2012, 07:13 PM

OK~ thanks to both of you...totally confirming what I have been thinking~ was actually checking out Discovery Bay if it meant we could park our boat in a DOCK on the WATER! how cool would THAT be?!! But thought maybe the schools arent really what we are looking for~ NOT doing private school~ have gone that route many years here in Vegas. Have heard amazing things about Rocklin schools but heard the kids are snobby *sigh* but, OK, we can be chameleons and fit in, i suppose. Just slap some $200. jeans on their butts, right??!(JK) Still cheaper than private school tho- OK I am rambling~ I guess I just need to get there and 'feel' around a little bit. They want him there yesterday so we will need to get a move on.
Buldogdad: Hope your stay in my city is a blast~ I cant wait to move so I can come back for the party!! LOL
PS What about Eldorado Hills? asbestos? some nice houses around the lake there?

Old 07-16-2012, 08:16 PM

170 posts, read 252,255 times
Brentwood will be less expensive than Folsom (love Folsom though) and closer to Stockton. Its a very nice bedroom community with good shopping and schools. It's a pain getting to the rest of the East Bay (towards SF or Walnut Creek), taking 4 with the never ending construction but OK if you can avoid the high traffic times.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:56 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,000,687 times
EDH is nice. You can research the asbestos issue, but I decided to move here knowing there is asbestos in the rock (and it doesn't start/stop at the EDH boundaries). Schools are great. I hear a lot about snobbiness here and other burbs, but I haven't experienced it. Not that it doesn't exist, but not to the extent a lot of people worry about. I'm sure I will never slap $200 jeans on my son's butt unless he gets a job and buys them for himself.

EDH is slightly further away from everything you need to get to than Folsom. Once again, search CD, there have been lots of discussions on the differences to Folsom.

The houses closest to the lake are some of the older neighborhoods. I like it, large lots, big mature trees.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:49 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
You'll be fine in Rocklin or Folsom with the public schools, no need to buy $200 jeans. Those two schools compete in the same Section League for sports that my kids High School here in Stockton does and they are not snobby in the least. Folsom, Rocklin and Whitney Ranch High Schools are all very nice based on what I have observed over the last 8 years going there for various sporting events.

Yes docking your boat in Discovery Bay is nice amenity.

There are also several Delta Water way access neighborhoods in West/North West Stockton. But unless your willing to send the kids to private school your better off with your other choices.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:21 PM

762 posts, read 2,031,272 times
How's the high school in clarksburg?

Old 07-17-2012, 07:52 PM

Great info~ I am coming to scope it all out in two weeks. Will put the jeans money back into the college fund for now Thanks for your input...this is a huge leap and your input really goes a long way!

Old 07-18-2012, 01:49 AM

505 posts, read 368,955 times
I've heard that Folsom is a bit on the conservative side. True?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento