Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 10:37 PM

8 posts, read 31,897 times

Advertisements

Okay, I keep reading all these old forum threads and researching around, and I am starting to become more and more relaxed about the idea of moving to this area of California when I leave Chicagoland. I hope to feel even better when I come to see the place for myself in the next month or so, we will see.

My husband would be working in Lodi. I was considering moving to nearby Galt. Does anyone happen to know, if there is a "better" side to the Galt city? The confusing thing is, crime rate is totally lower in "City Center" of Galt and YET schools are better on "Twin Cities" side, so that seems to be unusual. Are they both fine sides? Hope I don't sound as high strung as I think I do, on this forum. Oh well. Thank you in advance for your comments, etc!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 11:07 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,278,163 times
Galt isn't exactly a "big city."

Old 06-20-2011, 11:53 AM

457 posts, read 1,182,290 times
Stick to the east side of 99.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:33 PM

2,496 posts, read 3,246,530 times
You should definitely learn Spanish to live in Galt.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:45 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,689,672 times

I am so perplexed why you are avoiding Lodi. Having lived in the San Joaquin/ Sacramento Central valley since the 1970's I can tell you that Lodi is the place to live especially if your husband works there.

You are really obsessed with what ever crime index reports you are looking at.

Let me give you some perspective. One of the richest men in the country and the owner of the San Diego Chargers lives in the middle of Stockton, Alex Spanos. I went to the same public high-school as his kids and grand kids, Lincoln High. Those crime statistic reports are very misleading as to the true nature of a community.

I would not recommend you live in Stockton based on your posts so far, however lots of great areas in North Stockton just three miles from Lodi.

If you want a closer "country feel" community check out Lockeford or Linden.

Do you have someone to show you around when you get here that has a lot of local experience? I'm not just talking about a real estate agent trying to get your business. Hopefully you have someone to give you perspective.

There is also Morada, Woodbridge unless you are trying specifically to live in Sacramento County.

Good Luck.

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 06-21-2011 at 01:56 PM..

Old 05-20-2013, 02:16 PM

3 posts, read 6,393 times
Hi. My husband will be working in South western Sacramento or south sacramento. Not quite sure yet, but It will probably be off highway 5. What do you think of the commute to those areas from Galt? We also have 2 teenagers, one will be attending high school and 1 will be attending college. We are looking for a safe rural area, yet close to Sacramento that maybe has a walmart and movie theatre. We don't need a mall. We like places with good parks, hiking areas , maybe a place to swim and a place with trees. Somewhere that doesnt have tons of people and traffic, if possible. That may be asking too much??!! Does it get super hot in Galt? If you have any other towns that you think would fit our description, please let me know. We want to buy a house in the amount up to $230,000. We would love any advice you can give. Thank you.

Last edited by bbirdranch; 05-20-2013 at 03:19 PM..

Old 05-20-2013, 10:27 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,839,974 times
Elk Grove on the Hwy 5 side.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:44 AM

19,206 posts, read 16,686,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

I am so perplexed why you are avoiding Lodi. Having lived in the San Joaquin/ Sacramento Central valley since the 1970's I can tell you that Lodi is the place to live especially if your husband works there.

You are really obsessed with what ever crime index reports you are looking at.

Let me give you some perspective. One of the richest men in the country and the owner of the San Diego Chargers lives in the middle of Stockton, Alex Spanos. I went to the same public high-school as his kids and grand kids, Lincoln High. Those crime statistic reports are very misleading as to the true nature of a community.

I would not recommend you live in Stockton based on your posts so far, however lots of great areas in North Stockton just three miles from Lodi.

If you want a closer "country feel" community check out Lockeford or Linden.

Do you have someone to show you around when you get here that has a lot of local experience? I'm not just talking about a real estate agent trying to get your business. Hopefully you have someone to give you perspective.

There is also Morada, Woodbridge unless you are trying specifically to live in Sacramento County.

Good Luck.
This is the best information here. I can vouch for the accuracy. I would live in Lodi before Galt. I like Galt, but Lodi is hands down a place I would choose before any other place. Linden and Lockeford are quaint but you still have to drive a good distance for any decent shopping, outside of groceries. The only town that I'd take over Lodi is Woodbridge. Now that's a very nice little town, just outside of Lodi towards Sacramento.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbirdranch View Post
Hi. My husband will be working in South western Sacramento or south sacramento. Not quite sure yet, but It will probably be off highway 5. What do you think of the commute to those areas from Galt? We also have 2 teenagers, one will be attending high school and 1 will be attending college. We are looking for a safe rural area, yet close to Sacramento that maybe has a walmart and movie theatre. We don't need a mall. We like places with good parks, hiking areas , maybe a place to swim and a place with trees. Somewhere that doesnt have tons of people and traffic, if possible. That may be asking too much??!! Does it get super hot in Galt? If you have any other towns that you think would fit our description, please let me know. We want to buy a house in the amount up to $230,000. We would love any advice you can give. Thank you.
Again two years later.

Lodi.

If you can afford it.

As well there are several nicer areas you might look at in South West Sac.

However for the schools I'd choose Lodi and make the 30 minute commute.

The weather is going to be the same everywhere in the valley. The closer you live to the Delta though you'll get more "Delta Breezes" at night.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbirdranch View Post
Lodi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento