Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 05:35 PM

3 posts, read 9,461 times

Advertisements

Dear all,

I am moving to Sacramento in June 2011 to start working at UC Davis medical center. I need some advice on jumpstarting my apt hunt. Here's a little about me and what I'm looking for.

I'm a 28 year old woman, single, no roommate, no pets. Looking for a 1 or 2 bdr (if price difference not too great) in a safe neighborhood. I'd prefer a newer building, with modern interior updates.
I'm looking in the price range of under 1200/month.
I'd like to be within a 10 min drive to the medical center, but as long as the commute isn't terrible, I'm willing to sacrifice proximity to the hospital for a nice place. I will be out at all times of the day, so I need to put safety first.

IN unit washer/dryer, dishwasher in kitchen, easy parking. An area in close driving distance to lots of restaurants/shopping/cafes/bars preferred, if not walking distance.

thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 11:35 AM

no one???

Old 04-09-2011, 12:03 PM

86 posts, read 209,979 times
Although I don't know the prices, I have heard great things about Alexan Midtown:

Sacramento Apartments | Sacramento Midtown Apartments

Really close to UCD Med Center. Also not sure about the washer/dryer situation but I think it has everything else you're looking for.

Post the rents if you find out.

Best,

Allan

Old 04-10-2011, 11:55 AM

8,674 posts, read 17,309,543 times
I was just going to suggest the same place. They are brand-new apartment buildings (built to condo standards, as they were supposed to be sold as condominiums before the market collapse, completed last year) and technically they aren't even in Midtown, but a quieter neighborhood in between Midtown and East Sacramento called the "Alhambra Triangle." I lived in the adjacent neighborhood for a few years and a lot of my neighbors worked at UCDMC--they walked or biked there and could be at work in 10 minutes. I am fairly positive that they all have washer/dryer units. I'm sure they also allow pets if you decided to get one--the complex includes a small dog park.

Alexan is across the street from the Sacramento Natural Foods Co-Op, one of the better gyms in town (Alhambra Athletic Club) is a block away, and within 5 blocks are a winery/wine bar (Revolution Wines), two of the best coffee shops in the city (Temple Coffee and Coffeeworks), restaurants ranging from fancy to modest (Star Ginger, Good Eats, Cafe Morocco, May Flower, 33rd St. Bistro, and a Starbuck's and a KFC/A&W) a live music venue (Blue Lamp) and a neighborhood park (Winn Park.) A mile or two to the northwest is the heart of Midtown, with more dining, shopping and entertainment options.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:27 PM

21,898 posts, read 25,225,309 times
Meh. I completely disagree on Alexan. It's located under the shadow of 80/50/99 (road noise much) in a scruffy location. I don't mind the location so much. Get a few blocks away from the freeway and it wouldn't be so bad... but for $1500+ for a studio? In Sacramento? Next to a bunch of welfare advocacy groups and light industry? Look, I get it. It's "up and coming". That's a reason to buy a condo now at up and coming prices. It's not a reason to rent a studio that isn't even in midtown for $1500 a month.

For what it's worth when I was hunting in the Sacramento area four years ago it came down to The Regatta and Harbor Oaks. Neither of those are real close to UCDMC, however. I would have gone with Harbor Oaks but the girl friend thought the floor plans were weird.

FREMONT MEWS <-- I've always wondered what they were. They look kind of cool.
Sacramento Apartments, Sacramento 95814; Fremont Apartments, Sacramento Apartments For Rent, Sacramento Apts, Sacramento Ca <--- Another one I pass by fairly frequently, looks interesting. I'm a fan of mixed use.
1801L
St. Anton Building - St. Anton Building - Sacramento, CA
Harbor Oaks - Harbor Oaks - Sacramento, CA

I don't know much about them, but just places I've filed away in case I move back into Sac.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:37 PM

Fremont Mews and Fremont Apartments are probably good choices if you want to be near the center of the action--it is close to some fantastic restaurant/bar spots like the Shady Lady and Hot Italian, the new 1000 capacity live-music rock venue the Ace of Spades, and right next to both Light Rail lines--the one that goes downtown and to Folsom/Rancho Cordova, and the Meadowview/North Sac line, have a transfer point a block away at 16th Street. Fremont Mews is part low-income (before you freak out, "low-income" in this context means people making like $25000-40000 a year) and I think Fremont Apts does too.

St. Anton is nice if you want to be REALLY close to the action: there's a sports bar on the ground floor that stays open until 3 AM, the Distillery is the best place downtown to see hardcore punk and death metal, and the epicenter of gay club life is two blocks away at 20th and K. Plus every second Saturday 15,000 or so people will be milling around the neighborhood checking out the local art galleries, restaurants, bars and nightclubs!

1801 L is part low-income apartments too--the owner wanted to build a place where the guys working at the car wash across the street could live in the same complex as the guy whose Lexus they were washing. There are some nice places downstairs like the L Wine Lounge, and it's situated between the club/bar epicenters on 15th/16th, the ones on 21st, and the ones in its own ground floor. Hopefully the condo building across the street (built by the same developer) will be out of foreclosure soon!

I would agree that the rents at Alexan Midtown are a bit rich for my blood too--but then, I practically qualify for low-income housing. But that neighborhood is not really any scruffier than Midtown proper (homeless traffic is about the same, far fewer drunks bouncing through on weekends) and one gets used to freeway noise pretty quickly--I lived there for 5 years and once inside my house (a dinky little old house, not a modern well-insulated apartment building) I never even noticed it. It's also closer to UCDMC while being pretty close to a lot of amenities. It's not the best choice for a hardcore club-hound, but the OP didn't sound like one.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:37 PM

does anyone have an opinion on the curtis park area? is it safe? good? lively? young? much appreciated.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:53 PM

A little of each. Not really safer than Midtown (both are pretty safe in and of themselves, but adjacent to less safe neighborhoods) although a lot quieter, a bit more affluent, some nice neighborhood spots along Franklin Boulevard (the Hideaway, Pangaea, Coffee Garden, Gunther's Ice Cream) and a few nearby cultural amenities (the New Helvetia theater at Sierra 2 Center, Sacramento City College), and reasonably good light rail access (although to get from Curtis Park to UCDMC you have to switch trains at 16th Street.) Not too many new buildings out that way--mostly single-family homes (1880s-1930s) and a few older apartments and duplexes.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,251 times
Default Check out Cadillac Drive Townhomes

Really close to UCD Med, Sutter, Mercey San Juan. Close to everything, 100 % gated, and really nice area and walking distance to everything. Private access to bike trail too!

916-929-4594

I live here and love it.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:45 PM

4 posts, read 13,912 times
Default Im a intern at UCD Med

I just logged on and found that you will be interning at UCD Medical Center. I live at the Cadillac Drive Townhomes. There is a few of us here.
It's nice and quiet and about 10 minutes to med center. They don't have a washer dryer in unit, but they are large.
The location is perfect, walking distance to everything. Hwy 50 just a few blocks away.

I pay 850 for a one bedroom and my electric bill is not that much at all.

Very relaxing. I highly recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento