Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 03:30 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,522,092 times

Advertisements

What will the breed of the year be this year?

A few years ago it was Alpaca's but the pyramid scheme ran out on those last year. Before that it was Emu's and Ostrich's, but again that is old school breed of the year stuff there. I think last year the breed had to be Dexter cows, and the year before that was Highland cows...all of which have run their course as far as the pyramid schemes go. You know how that goes; a magazine article comes out, overzealous breeders tout up their virtues, make outrageous money on gullible people, then bail before they lose it all.

I was just curious what everyone though this years "Breed of the year" will be as far as livestock goes. The only trend I noticed thus far is a penchant for Soay sheep! That is my guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 11:54 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,199,466 times
Nutrias

hillman

Old 01-09-2010, 05:15 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,475,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
Nutrias

hillman
Nah, too many of them in the wild down south. Miniature camels? I would probably buy one of those! Around here, Boer goats were all the rage since we have a large Hispanic community. How about yaks? After the winter we have been having, something with long shaggy fur would fit right in...

Old 01-09-2010, 05:54 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,084,663 times
Four horned goats perhaps.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:31 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,565,309 times
Sasquatches.

Well, maybe not, so take your pick of any of these breeds: Small breeds. Fads will come and go, because that's what fads do.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:44 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,835,750 times
Micro Pigs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHyDY...layer_embedded

Old 01-14-2010, 05:37 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,958,053 times
I think that on a consumer scale, largely fueled by modern homesteaders, we're going to see a resurgence in "heritage" breeds... multipurpose farmstead animals instead of the now-common specialized breeds that are only good milkers, or good layers, or good for meat or fiber. A smaller farmstead doesn't have need for 4 gallons of milk or two dozen eggs a day, or a half-ton of meat when it's dressed out. A smaller, less "temperamental", and hardier animal that produces adequate "renewables" and then a reasonable amount of meat will be much prefered.

Lord knows what they'll come up with for the commercial scale and pyramid schemes, but I'm guess the whole mini-micro craze is just gearing up. Won't be long before someone gets the idea to breed thousands of pocket-sized critters to sell to the back-to-landers... hoping to bank on their desire for smaller, easier to manage livestock.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:29 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,201,066 times
I'm waiting for micro-cows...then I can lose money on a smaller scale.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:57 PM

1,149 posts, read 2,516,600 times
Miniature Sasquatches?

Old 01-17-2010, 07:47 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,961,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
What will the breed of the year be this year?

A few years ago it was Alpaca's but the pyramid scheme ran out on those last year. Before that it was Emu's and Ostrich's, but again that is old school breed of the year stuff there. I think last year the breed had to be Dexter cows, and the year before that was Highland cows...all of which have run their course as far as the pyramid schemes go. You know how that goes; a magazine article comes out, overzealous breeders tout up their virtues, make outrageous money on gullible people, then bail before they lose it all.

I was just curious what everyone though this years "Breed of the year" will be as far as livestock goes. The only trend I noticed thus far is a penchant for Soay sheep! That is my guess.
I am thinking "incumbent politician's hide"! They have very tough skin that can be made into a variety of useful items, as long as they are not in an elected position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living