Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 09:47 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,835,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
----" everybody knows everybody"--

I think that phrase is over used way too much.

In a small town of under 1,000----maybe

Heck, I know people who live in towns of about 5,000 and the people on their square block don't even know each other.

In a city of 10,000-----it is laughable to use that phrase- " everybody knows everybody".

Heck, I commuted to a town of 7,000 for my job and most of the employees who were from that town had never heard of their fellow employees who were from that same town before they got hired.

I believethat phrase--" everybody knows everybody"--only holds true if you have a bad reputation and get your name in the paper's court section a lot.
I hope you are right But maybe it is different over here. In the States people move a lot, picking new places on boards like this one In Europe people usually don't move to small towns they don't have any relatives in. When I visited my new town for the first time in order to inspect the apartment, it indeed seemed like a lot of people knew each other, joking across the streets, nodding to each other in that familiar way, etc. Even the real estate agent told me everybody knows everybody in that town I guess I could not even tell 10,000 people apart, not even 1,000, let alone remember details about them.
But people seemed nice, so I hope they will accept me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 05:05 PM

3,081 posts, read 3,242,296 times
Louisiana, if you live in the Southwest part of the state, I'd recommend The following parishes: Beaugard, Allen, and Jeff Davis. Lake Charles has alot of country space also when you go further down south on hwy 14. Louisiana has alot of rural life in general, as well as other states in the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living