Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 05:10 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,771,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
Their slobs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Whose slobs?
I, too, wish to know to whom those slobs belong. One might think they're going to lose their minds over the two loose barn boards over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 06:24 PM

671 posts, read 890,977 times
Nature always takes back what is taken from it...
My bride has been asking why they don't take down the barn across the road for 30 years now....
Past summer a new tin roof went on and a few dozen boards were replaced.. It had to be structurally sound for that to be done.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:08 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,202,217 times
You don't want to put a new roof and paint job on that dilapidated barn, or you increase the market value of the overall property, which increases the tax value. A dilapidated barn can lower the overall market value of the property because it is essentially a liability that requires resources to dispose of. A potential buyer would have a future cash outlay to remove an unsafe structure that has no use value.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:14 PM

950 posts, read 924,870 times
One thing keeping a dilapidated building won't do is lower your property taxes.

I used to show up at township tax equalization meetings asserting that my farm's evaluation was too high.
They showed me their assessed value of every farm building. I then stated that an old ,small, cracked silo and a leaning small shed had no value and were in such poor shape they could not be used.

The reply to me was.........." if they are still standing they must be of some value to you or you would have torn them down "

They refused to take away the $1,000 valuation they had placed on each.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:58 AM

What I would be arguing is that the silo, or dilapidated barn lowers the market value of the farmstead rather than any specific value assigned to the silo or barn. That part would probably be on the tax rolls as ag use value anyway. Here, there is an administrative appeal process. If you are not satisfied with the results, you can request another, formal hearing, which is held in an adjacent county, When I went through the process, a retired judge conducted the hearing. The assessor had to write up a position paper for the county and appear at the hearing and testify. It requires a lot of time on the part of the assessor. One thing is to know the appraised value relative to the market value assigned by the county before moving forward.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:35 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,835,714 times
I've never seen property taxes go "down" before. I'm not buying it. someone stretegically sabatogeing their own land to save a few hundred a year in taxes?

Actually I had a conversation with an older KS farmer this week and his rationale for leaving his sagging barn as it is (that his wife is nagging him about) was exactly this. A good looking barn would be assessed at a higher valuation by the county. He eventually hopes someone will pay him to salvage the wood.

Around here there are groups of individuals that buy old barns for a nominal sum and then dismantle them for the parts. The wood/parts are either processed into furniture or sold. If it were practical I'd build a stone barn on our property.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
I wonder why more barns are not salvaged as a source of both timbers and weathered boards. Maybe someone should start a regional salvage business that could dismantle and store the complete frames.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
What I would be arguing is that the silo, or dilapidated barn lowers the market value of the farmstead rather than any specific value assigned to the silo or barn. That part would probably be on the tax rolls as ag use value anyway. Here, there is an administrative appeal process. If you are not satisfied with the results, you can request another, formal hearing, which is held in an adjacent county, When I went through the process, a retired judge conducted the hearing. The assessor had to write up a position paper for the county and appear at the hearing and testify. It requires a lot of time on the part of the assessor. One thing is to know the appraised value relative to the market value assigned by the county before moving forward.
Being 70 years old ( retired now....sold farm to son ) . I can assure you that in my 44 years of farm ownership I know all about how the tax system works.

I have appealed and went from the township to the county level with no relief granted.
Where I live, they are very reluctant to " rock the boat" and go against the county assessor.

A neighbor of mine had a briefcase full of homework he had done to prove his case at the county level. He did not prevail. In fact, the following year his assestment went up.

He stated.........." I guess they wanted to teach me a lesson "

Old 04-10-2015, 05:24 PM

I don't doubt there is some degree of retribution and hostility from some assessors. In a professional position, they shouldn't be doing that. They need to be called out on it. Mine were reduced at the administrative level, but I did not think it was enough, so I appealed it further and went to a hearing. I lost at the next level; however, after that, my values did not go up for 3 years and then there was a year of another reduction and then it didn't change the year after that. So now my view is a little different. I know there are some errors in my current appraisal that overstate, but I don't believe the assessment is really overvalued, in general, as is. Even with the overstatement errors, it may be slightly undervalued on the tax rolls. So leaving it alone is fine for now. The appeal, though, got to have documentation that supports your case.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
I don't doubt there is some degree of retribution and hostility from some assessors. In a professional position, they shouldn't be doing that. They need to be called out on it. Mine were reduced at the administrative level, but I did not think it was enough, so I appealed it further and went to a hearing. I lost at the next level; however, after that, my values did not go up for 3 years and then there was a year of another reduction and then it didn't change the year after that. So now my view is a little different. I know there are some errors in my current appraisal that overstate, but I don't believe the assessment is really overvalued, in general, as is. Even with the overstatement errors, it may be slightly undervalued on the tax rolls. So leaving it alone is fine for now. The appeal, though, got to have documentation that supports your case.
I brought a soil mapping book that shows soil types and pointed out they were assessing my tillable acres at the same rate as a farmer a mile away who has better soil.

I also challenged a recent dairy farm sale near me as being comparable because the owner left expensive dairy equipment go with the barn that I did not have in my barn.

The reason assessors, and county officials, are so wary of adjusting valuations is they are scared of opening a can of worms causing a domino effect.........IMHO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living