Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 05:08 PM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times

Advertisements

I sympathize with him on the building codes to an extent. The part of not being able to use his own lumber is a new one on me.

Where he lost me is with the sanitation (yeah I know, that's how our ancestors lived. I have bad memories of my grandparents' outhouse.) but he has visitors, interns and employees. That's a game changer with sanitation.

If he's doing tours and conducting classes he needs insurance. He's being **** simple if he doesn't have it.

As far as "the government" wanting his land, maybe, but if it's in Ag/Forest Preservation that's typically a permanent easement which goes from owner to owner.

After Kelo eminent domain might be an issue if the property has been determined to be in a development zone but, again, the Ag/Forest Preservation short circuits that.

And again, it's not a tax issue that has a lien on the property but a civil judgement.

He also lost me when he rode a half broken horse into town instead of taking a vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 05:11 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawknest View Post
He needs help - either the State backs off their requirement or they will use Eminent Domain to remove him from his paid-for land. It's not right, nor fair - it's UnAmerican.
That's total bull-hockey. There's never been anything about eminent domain in any of the numerous local and national news articles I've ever read on this subject. I have no idea why the OP is trying to spread an untruth. The issues that Conway is facing concern county and state building code and health regulations because he runs his property as a business and has school groups and other paying customers. It's not a simple matter of allowing him to live as he wishes on his own land.

I doubt seriously there is a subversive plot by developers in this issue, as suggested in another thread on this subject. Just ask the folks at nearby Heavenly Mtn about the value of large tracts of land in this area of Watauga County. The local real estate market ain't what it used to be and isn't likely to go back to the "good ole days" anytime in the foreseeable future.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:33 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
If you don't pay your taxes, what happens? They take your property.
This is a comment from 2012. I hope things are going smoother for him now.

Apparently there was a large development planned near him, golf course too, that would have brought the county a lot of tax dollars. It fell thru. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't spend the expected money in advance, now they are trying to recover the loss.

Quote:
The government knows exactly what it's doing here... They are boxing him in and leaving him no options. Tax parasites that they are, they want tax revenue. The surrounding land is valuable and at one point they stuck Conway with an $85,000 property tax bill? If you are completely self-reliant how in the hell do you pay that? You can't. So Conway's Turtle Island Preserve is set up as an educational non-profit probably so he can make some money to pay his tax bills. Then government comes in again and slaps him with building code violations. Now he can't make the money he needs to pay his tax bill. These people are crooks. They will stop at nothing.
Who is Eustace Conway and why is he a threat? | The Resilient Family

Old 08-11-2013, 07:52 PM

324 posts, read 714,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
I have no idea why the OP is trying to spread an untruth.
Exactly what is untrue? If he didn't pay his taxes or simply follow the building codes. When you buy remote property, you need to check the codes before you build. Eminent Domain is used by counties, cities and states to enforce their rules upon the populace. Either follow the rules or your land becomes our land.

I've lived in many rural areas including my present location. I checked with County & Code Enforcers before I purchased my properties. I checked to see if it was possible to have a home business; what the building codes are (UBC, CBC, etc); where and how deep my septic can be placed; who is the recommended contractors. I have built over a dozen homes on my properties without so much as nod from county planners - with my own fresh cut timber. Never have I even heard of such ridiculous requirements as this.

If you don't pay your taxes, the county/city will place a lien against it and until that lien is satisfied, you cannot operate a business, sell off or simply sub-divide the property. If you continue to refuse to pay even an irrigation fee - they will take your property from you.

http://www.al.com/entertainment/inde...ain_man_s.html

Old 08-11-2013, 08:01 PM

324 posts, read 714,121 times
I did a quick search for Wilkes Cty, NC and found this listing for 700 ac

LandsofNorthCarolina.com - Land for sale by Boone, North Carolina - Wilkes County - 700 acres - 1457218

Old 08-11-2013, 08:28 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
If he were just living off on his own (Like several people I know) then I'd say let him be.

But (I've seen a couple episodes) as soon as I saw the pile of chainsaws.... I knew he was running a business!
(Not that it hadn't been stated earlier)

He is preaching one thing, and doing another.
(Good for him, the Nearings did the same thing)

Old 08-11-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
If he were just living off on his own (Like several people I know) then I'd say let him be.

But (I've seen a couple episodes) as soon as I saw the pile of chainsaws.... I knew he was running a business!
(Not that it hadn't been stated earlier)

He is preaching one thing, and doing another.
(Good for him, the Nearings did the same thing)
So he uses a chainsaw. He knows the old ways, he teaches the old ways, he build cabins on this preserve following the old ways. He is an educator.
Keep in mind it is a preserve, which I assume means different rules apply.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:42 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
So he uses a chainsaw. He knows the old ways, he teaches the old ways, he build cabins on this preserve following the old ways. He is an educator.
Keep in mind it is a preserve, which I assume means different rules apply.
No, he doesn't use "a" chainsaw.... he has a TRUCK BED full of expensive chain saws.

He says he runs a 'school' for 'teaching people' for free labor (And perhaps money...)

I know people (A couple) who live off the land WITHOUT running a business. (And one that does)

But they don't make fake claims otherwise.

Look up the Nearings... they made similar claims, and GOT PAID by 'students' paying to come there and do the work that made their farm run!

NOT 'living off the land' 'not needing civilization' etc.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
No, he doesn't use "a" chainsaw.... he has a TRUCK BED full of expensive chain saws.

He says he runs a 'school' for 'teaching people' for free labor (And perhaps money...)

I know people (A couple) who live off the land WITHOUT running a business. (And one that does)

But they don't make fake claims otherwise.

Look up the Nearings... they made similar claims, and GOT PAID by 'students' paying to come there and do the work that made their farm run!

NOT 'living off the land' 'not needing civilization' etc.
Ah, one of my favorite books, haven't seen it in years, about Hellen and ___ Nearing. She has recipes and how to build rock walls. You are saying they are fakes? I don't think so. Everybody has a right to make money from passing on knowledge. I don't see anything wrong with that.
I used her bread recipe for many years, good people.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:20 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Part of his business is selling firewood. I'd have a bunch of chainsaws too if I were doing that for an income. You can't have that big of a piece of land in that area and not have an income to support it.

Most of the building code violations are stupid things. he uses his own lumber from his own trees. The "universal building code" that's being pushed all over the country bans using any lumber in a structure that is not stamped/stickered with a grade. So the garbage lumber from home depot is legal, your own sawn lumber isn't. A total crock aimed at giving the lumber industry a monopoly.

As far as the outhouses go, I don't see a problem if they're properly sited and maintained. Crapping in our drinking water isn't exactly the most brilliant idea in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living