Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 10:36 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

A woman has died after being knocked down by cows, it has been confirmed.

The woman, 61, was walking her dog in a field off Pant Tawel Lane in Radyr, Cardiff, when the incident happened.

BBC News - Woman walking dog killed by cows in Radyr, Cardiff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 10:42 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A woman has died after being knocked down by cows, it has been confirmed.

The woman, 61, was walking her dog in a field off Pant Tawel Lane in Radyr, Cardiff, when the incident happened.

BBC News - Woman walking dog killed by cows in Radyr, Cardiff
HAH! Finally the cows are reeking revenge on humans eating them for hundreds (or thousands) of years!

Cows are great big critters. Even if they aren't pissed off, or protecting their young (as the article alludes) they can hurt you without even meaning to. My cousin was stepped on by a cow and has had ongoing medical issues because of it.

I once approached a baby Brahma calf and I will tell you that the mother was not going to have *any* of me touching or otherwise being close to her baby. She ran up to the fence and made it well known that she WOULD defend and protect her baby.

The point I am trying to make is, that you don't PUT YOURSELF IN HARMS WAY, with *any* large creature. Otherwise you're an idiot.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-02-2011, 12:33 PM

34,093 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
HAH!

The point I am trying to make is, that you don't PUT YOURSELF IN HARMS WAY, with *any* large creature. Otherwise you're an idiot.
well... the Chikin's might have pulled a fast one on those cows too.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:48 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,691,736 times
I have a small herd (7) cows (Dexters) that are a smaller breed. They are a part of the family; each with their own personalities and quirks, each one fun, even affectionate, in their own way. The bull is funny; younger than the cows, every time he tries to be all manly the girls cut him back down to size. We love being out in the corral and pasture with them... most of the time. We don't get between the bull and the girls when they are in season, and we don't get between the mamas and their babies if we can help it, except to steer a baby bull or tag a calf. We usually isolate the youngsters in a sturdy barn stall when we do, because the mothers will charge and SLAM into the walls and gate of the stall repeatedly until their babies are released. We open the gate and let the baby out, and stand back, because we'd be stomped and butted if we didn't. As much as we love our critters, we know their limitations - and ours.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:22 AM

373 posts, read 635,541 times
Default the Bull was always tough until

He used to ram fence and paw when grain was dumped and his water trough filled through the fence. Then one day he did not turn up.

He had become tanged up in an old roll of barb wire somehow. It gave him quite a scare and restricted circulation.

This time he knew the humans were here to help him by cutting him loose. No attitude at all and appeared grateful. He appeared to actually like us for awhile.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:17 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,150,125 times
One day I decided to feed our five cows and four calves out in the middle of the pasture and not by the trough. I found a nice flat spot, at the bottom of the hill. Our cows come to the sight of a feed bucket. I shook the bucket until I got their attention, and as they were watching, poured the feed onto the ground. It was then that I realized that there were nine cows barrelling down the hill towards the feed. I decided to "exit, stage left", and ran to the gate and climbed over. Those darns cows ran right past the feed, with their cow radar still neatly fixed on the bucket! I could hear their breath as I climbed over. Scary moment for sure, but I am sure that those cows were not intending to hurt me in any way.

It's terrible what happened to the woman. It makes me wonder what caused the cows in the story to trample her? Not sure, as I am new to raising cows, but it seems that cows don't really want to intentionally hurt someone, unless they are protecting their babies, running out of fear, or? and not sure if they ever would act as a herd and try to intentionally run someone over.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:00 AM

23,603 posts, read 70,446,439 times
The first thing I wondered was what breed. According to a pic on a link from that site, they might have been Holsteins. When I was growing up, my cousin warned me to always have a stitch or stick around them and never get between them and a wall. Guernseys were not as troublesome, and Jerseys in general were sweet in comparison. My cousin taught me a few curses while guiding Holsteins in for milking. He really had a way with understanding them.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:03 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,413,802 times
Look at it from the cows' point-of-view. To them, there is little difference between a wolf or a dog possibly attacking their calves.

Where I live, there have been feral colonies of dogs who have attacked and killed calves. Mother cows are just doing their jobs.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:00 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,551,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
well... the Chikin's might have pulled a fast one on those cows too.
Saw jokester and singer Roger Miller (King of the Road) in concert in the 70s. Said he heard of a man who walked to a Halloween party dressed as an ear of corn. On his way home afterwards, he told his friends he was going to take a shortcut home through his neighbor's cow pasture. He was never seen again.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:16 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,150,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
saw jokester and singer roger miller (king of the road) in concert in the 70s. Said he heard of a man who walked to a halloween party dressed as an ear of corn. On his way home afterwards, he told his friends he was going to take a shortcut home through his neighbor's cow pasture. He was never seen again.

lol!:d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living