Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 10:21 AM

355 posts, read 2,369,871 times

Advertisements

So, there is plenty of snow on the ground. If you were in the Brighton area, where would you go for some sledding? Are there any public parks, or state property, with some gentle slopes for sledding? Any private property with public access that local tradition has deemed appropriate for that purpose (i.e., sledding)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 10:55 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
Cobbs Hill without a doubt!

Old 12-21-2008, 12:11 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpg_99 View Post
So, there is plenty of snow on the ground. If you were in the Brighton area, where would you go for some sledding? Are there any public parks, or state property, with some gentle slopes for sledding? Any private property with public access that local tradition has deemed appropriate for that purpose (i.e., sledding)?
If you jump on the expressway (490) and head west from downtown get on 531 and go until it ends at Washington street. Take a left there go to the light (rt 31) and take a left. Go about 1 mile and then take a left at the first street. This is Northhampton park and there is wonderful sledding out there, halfway between Spencerport and Brockport.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Cobbs Hill without a doubt!

So, where in Cobbs Hill? do you go to the top, where the reservoir is? or are there any spots between the top and the entrance on Culver? Or are the sledding spots on the Monroe side of the park?

Even if the whether gets worse (lots of wind right now), I may go out and drive around anyway so I get additional experience driving on snow (funny, when everyone else probably wants to avoid the roads, this is my chance to get out there and get hands-on snow-driving experience without too many cars around...just in case )

Old 12-22-2008, 06:00 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,718,851 times
Cobs Hill is the only place worth the trouble of lugging a sled up a hill.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:20 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
Cobbs Hill or Highland Park...

Old 01-01-2009, 08:45 AM

Now that there's some snow on the ground again: where would you go to get a sled to do some downhill sledding? I checked Craigslist, but most of the sleds I saw were the vintage type (Flexible Flyer, Speedway), with the thin metal blades. I'm thinking more of the plastic type with a flat bottom. What local shops would sell them (used or new)?

Old 01-01-2009, 10:47 AM

51 posts, read 171,669 times
Now I haven't been sledding in years, but can't you pick up plastic sleds at Target or WalMart? Is there a big market for used plastic sleds?

I'll second Highland Park and add in Ellison Park. Ellison has a longer hill, but, IIRC, there are trees near the bottom. I've seen lots of people sledding there though, so it may not be as bad as it looks from the road...

Old 01-01-2009, 11:24 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
A lot of the sleds have been picked through from the Christmas rush.... they were off the shelves when we tried to find them for a gift.... I DID see some at the Christmas Tree Shop recently for dirt cheap if they still have some.... Last time I was in Target they were out..... good luck finding some.......

Old 01-01-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-Uno View Post
Now I haven't been sledding in years, but can't you pick up plastic sleds at Target or WalMart? Is there a big market for used plastic sleds?
I didn't see any sleds at Wal-mart (either the Henrietta or the Irondequoit branches). I didn't check Target. Regarding the used plastic sled market, no, I guess there wouldn't be a big market (i.e., the sleds would probably break before they are used enough to be sold as used equipment).

I went to Cobbs Hill today, and I saw all kinds of sleds: from the simple mat with a pointed end and two slots for handles, to the elaborate ones similar to the PT Blaster (http://www.sleds.com/sleds/plastic-s...lastersled.cfm).

Since I haven't done any sledding, here's a couple of questions for the more experienced ones:
- Some peole use the tow rope as something to hold on to as they go downhill. Does that affect steering, i.e., can you steer the sled right or left (considering the rope is attached to the center of the sled, not the sides)?
- Is a steerable sled (http://www.sleds.com/sleds/plastic-s...eluxeblack.cfm) more desirable than just a flat surface to sit on? (some people seemed to have more fun falling off the sled than getting to the bottom of the hill in one piece)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area