Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 11:09 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,451,117 times

Advertisements

I have to side with Muggy on this one. Projects like this are distractions, not the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 07:21 AM

525 posts, read 1,828,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
C'mon guys, seriously, all trolling aside, would you live at Irondequoit Mall? You wouldn't shop there, we've already evidenced that.

Garmin and I'minformed, for the life of me, I can't understand why you guys cheerlead stuff like this. You both know I'm not an idiot, and I love Rochester, but ideas like this are exactly what makes Rochester a near-miss every time.

I'm going to say what I always say: drop a martial hammer on crime in the city Giuiliani-style and everything else will follow. People love the city, but not enough to live there.

Irondequoit Mall is a big, unnecessary steel box. That's all.
Given that Irondequoit Mall already has been getting tax breaks and such for the property, and assuming they are using private dollars and not asking for more government money, then I'm all for it. What is the alternative, tearing it down and building a skyscraper for a local company HQ?

Old 10-17-2008, 07:24 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,721,377 times
I wasn't really cheerleading this project. My post was more of a comment about another message board.
For me, its too early to tell. From the sound of it, it seems like one of those setups with the fake mainstreet town centre thing, which I think is kinda lame.
But we'll see.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:44 AM

30 posts, read 154,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
That is a great story with good news I'm interested in hearing more of. The only sickening thing is the posts by all of the depressing all-time naysayers on the d&c forum. I was going to make an account and post on there...but GAH...there are just too many nutty-negative folks
I thought I was the only person who noticed the negative attitudes from D&C forum posters!

I had to come to City-data to get reassurance about my impending move to the ROC! after reading too many negative posts at D&C.

It's really a shame, because Rochester has so much to offer. The naysayers don't realize what they have. But these are the same people who probably are not well-traveled. I believe that if they could get out and see more things and meet people from different places, they would probably curse the day that they began to put down everything Rochester.

But then again, some people are just NEVER happy.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:51 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,596,410 times
Agreed....to my friend Muggy; you are 100% correct. I'm not cheerleading the project, I just think it sounds interesting and would like to hear more before giving it a big thumbs down and I just can't stand the constant negativity and ignorance of those on the D&C forum. I couldn't agree with you more that getting the crime rate under control in that area should be TOP priority as well.

Old 10-18-2008, 03:10 PM

944 posts, read 3,849,725 times
Garmin and Informed, sorry to be presumptuous again. I see what you're saying.

I am in Rochester again for the weekend. I freakin' love it here. I'll be back in a year or so. The countdown begins...

Old 10-18-2008, 03:42 PM

897 posts, read 2,458,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
i read the posts on every story I read on the website...and it seems like it's always the same pathetic soles who's username's speak volumes....ROCbites, LeavingRoch, Crapchester, CreativeOgre...PATHETIC. These people need to get lives. There is being constructively critical, and then there is being a depressing troll. EVERYTHING in Rochester and NYS is bad to them..EVERYTHING. Any positive news of development as seen as a "lie" or "fluff story" and any negative story is "an understatement of how horribly wretched everthing really is".
I think the same about you.

Old 10-18-2008, 04:04 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,596,410 times
So let me get this straight.....you don't post on this forum for months, and then come back for a 6 work personal attack on me? I'm almost flattered.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:25 PM

1,293 posts, read 5,000,687 times
I would rather see empty space partially filled than have nothing there at all. I don't want to drive through any city where it looks like a ghost town. It's a good idea because something is being done with it. You don't know what the future holds with this place either, it may not house people, businesses or anything. My guess is they will lease out the space and see what direction it takes them.
This is being tried with skyscrapers, basically a town in a building where people never have to leave the area. Shops, work, apartments all in one. It has its positives and negatives. Really depends on whether people would actually want to live there.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:11 PM

121 posts, read 382,971 times
that is what I am saying....the condo, shopping, eating people crowd that think that is cool will NEVER go to Irondequoit for that........too far from the city. But hey it isn't my money so they can do with it what they want........they will anyways.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area