Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2008, 09:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,573 times

Advertisements

We're looking at homes online in the Farmington or Canandaigua area and hope to move there before early winter. No kids so schools are unimportant. We're adults in our 40's and my wife is originally from Rochester and has family throughout the area. We currently live just N.E. of Philly in PA. Home prices around here are about double of those in your area so we're excited about the move to a potentially bigger home for less money. We love the Canandaigua area and have been there many times throughout the years.

I'm an auto technician with 25 years experience and need to search for a job there before we move, obviously, and this is the reason why I'm posting - to hear opinions.

Question:
1. Can anyone point me to a professional local auto repair shop (not a dealership) in Farmington or Canandaigua to check for a job with?

2. Any local garages you go to with a good reputation for service or could use a veteran auto repair technician like myself?

I realize this isn't a help wanted forum but I'd like to know what locals think about the area. I'm a professional and it's important for me to find a place that's professional, or one that simply needs a professional!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 08:00 PM

259 posts, read 799,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillypeople View Post
We're looking at homes online in the Farmington or Canandaigua area and hope to move there before early winter. No kids so schools are unimportant. We're adults in our 40's and my wife is originally from Rochester and has family throughout the area. We currently live just N.E. of Philly in PA. Home prices around here are about double of those in your area so we're excited about the move to a potentially bigger home for less money. We love the Canandaigua area and have been there many times throughout the years.

I'm an auto technician with 25 years experience and need to search for a job there before we move, obviously, and this is the reason why I'm posting - to hear opinions.

Question:
1. Can anyone point me to a professional local auto repair shop (not a dealership) in Farmington or Canandaigua to check for a job with?

2. Any local garages you go to with a good reputation for service or could use a veteran auto repair technician like myself?

I realize this isn't a help wanted forum but I'd like to know what locals think about the area. I'm a professional and it's important for me to find a place that's professional, or one that simply needs a professional!

Thanks in advance!

Hello!

I am writing to you from the south but we moved from Rochester last year. I too have loved the Canandiagua area and wish you well.

I do have a suggestion for you but it is a dealership. Van Bortel Ford in Victor has an excellent service department. It is run by a gentleman we have known for years when he first started taking care of our vehicles. We have followed him to various dealerships and back again to his present location. It was called Victor Ford when we first started with him.

He is definitely a professional and values good service technicians. Actually, I think the dealership as a whole has a good reputation, although we have not purchased any vehicles from the present owner.

If you are interested, send me a direct message and I will give you the Service Manager's name.

This is kind of funny, because I am waiting for some responses right now to an inquiry in our current location for a recommendation of a good Ford dealership and mechanic!

Good luck!

Old 09-24-2008, 08:13 PM

2 posts, read 5,573 times
Thank you, movingdown. I sent you a direct message as well.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:00 AM

25 posts, read 76,900 times
Hey movingdown,

Where in the south? I am considering going to the Victor/Canadaigua area from the south. Do you think I am crazy to go to NY? Everyone tells me I am "nuts". Do you like the change to the south

Thanks for your feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingdown View Post
Hello!

I am writing to you from the south but we moved from Rochester last year. I too have loved the Canandiagua area and wish you well.

I do have a suggestion for you but it is a dealership. Van Bortel Ford in Victor has an excellent service department. It is run by a gentleman we have known for years when he first started taking care of our vehicles. We have followed him to various dealerships and back again to his present location. It was called Victor Ford when we first started with him.

He is definitely a professional and values good service technicians. Actually, I think the dealership as a whole has a good reputation, although we have not purchased any vehicles from the present owner.

If you are interested, send me a direct message and I will give you the Service Manager's name.

This is kind of funny, because I am waiting for some responses right now to an inquiry in our current location for a recommendation of a good Ford dealership and mechanic!

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area