Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 07:48 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,903,532 times

Advertisements

Fairport/Perinton... always my first vote... great town with a fab community feel... village is great... taxes aren't too bad... good schools and LOW COST Fairport Electric... great place to live
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 05:53 AM

27 posts, read 141,494 times
Default Moving to Rochester--need help picking which suburb to move to

In your interest of a good school..don't overlook Palmyra. Also since you are of the LDS faith it is the place where the original Book of Mormon was produced. They also have the big Hill Coumora event there each year. It has a good Mormon Book store there as will as many Mormans in the area. Palmyra is a really pretty little bedroom community with very pretty victorian type houses. It has many family events and pretty tree lined streets to walk and enjoy with your family. It is a very community and family oriented village. Wish you luck. PineHollowGal

Old 08-09-2008, 08:47 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,903,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinehollowgal View Post
In your interest of a good school..don't overlook Palmyra. Also since you are of the LDS faith it is the place where the original Book of Mormon was produced. They also have the big Hill Coumora event there each year. It has a good Mormon Book store there as will as many Mormans in the area. Palmyra is a really pretty little bedroom community with very pretty victorian type houses. It has many family events and pretty tree lined streets to walk and enjoy with your family. It is a very community and family oriented village. Wish you luck. PineHollowGal
There is an LDS Church on Kreg Rd in Perinton... I am a Fairport Grad and there were many Mormans in my class... I like Palmyra a lot... but it is a bit far from the city and travel time can be an issue for some... don't know if it is for you. Palmyra does have the best school in Wayne County... Perinton/Fairport are in MONROE COUNTY as is ROCHESTER.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:08 PM

19 posts, read 110,975 times
Hi-
I currently work at U. Rochester and am in the process of moving out of Rochester for a job and I must say, I'm really going to miss it. I think you really can't go wrong. You can get an idea about home prices in neighborhoods by going to Trulia.com. You will notice there is a 'crescent' shape of many homes for sale in the N/W, north, and N/E of Rochester. This is where you DON'T want to move. You'll see a road way called the inner loop and the I-490 and I-390. Stay in that loop and East of the river for Brighton and areas just south and East of the I-390 for other suburbs.

Like many have said, Brighton and Henrietta are good choices and both are close to U of R. I live in the city in the Park Ave/University Avenue/Culver Ave area and have both biked and walked to school taking Highland Avenue taking me 30 and 75 minutes, respectively. Highland Avenue sort of cuts between Brighton and the city. Henrietta has lots of housing and is close to many big shopping centers (think more traffic), but not too bad. Brighton tends to be friendly and a bit quiet and lots of people like East Rochester as well.

Commuting by car really takes absolutely NO TIME at all compared to many cities. Even in rush hour, a 4 mile commute can take only about 20 minutes. Traffic is not an issue at all, but if your husband wants an even shorter walk to work, you can probably rent a house on Raleigh, Rossiter, Irvington, Lattimore (do a google map search) which are right across the street from U. R. This neighborhood is relatively safe (I know 5 people who live over there), but you do have to drive to get to a grocery store. Just don't move west of the Genesse river (you'll see it snaking by on the map). Cute homes and will probably be up and coming in the next 10-15 years, but not yet- just a little to close to crime. The problem with this area by U. R. is that it's a 'city school' area, but I know people who live in a smaller sized house get financial assistance for sending their kids to Harley, a private school for about the same amt of money they'd spend on a larger house (mortgage) and city taxes living in Brighton, Pittsford etc.

Irondequoit is a little further away, but really not that bad for commuting to U. R.
I don't know what the schools are like, but I heard they may be better than Henrietta, but please research this. Where you don't want to go are the city schools around Norton Street or Main street. The best schools are Pittsford and Brighton- some of the best in the nation and many of the kids that attend come from upper middle class families, plus.

Good luck!

Old 12-30-2008, 02:38 PM

12 posts, read 45,392 times
I would HIGHLY recommend you rent a place while in Rochester, MN. I know too many families who have financial stress because they chose to buy a home during residency in this city and could not sell. Rochester expreienced a major housing boom a few years ago and as a result, like many other cities in the U.S., there are far too many homes on the market in this city. If you think the turn around is exceptional (due to the influx of residents, fellows, etc.) please think again. There are just too many homes on the market--some even from last year's residents who are still trying to sell their homes!(and have been paying on two mortgages for months!)

Old 12-30-2008, 02:45 PM

94,705 posts, read 125,847,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaVert View Post
I would HIGHLY recommend you rent a place while in Rochester, MN. I know too many families who have financial stress because they chose to buy a home during residency in this city and could not sell. Rochester expreienced a major housing boom a few years ago and as a result, like many other cities in the U.S., there are far too many homes on the market in this city. If you think the turn around is exceptional (due to the influx of residents, fellows, etc.) please think again. There are just too many homes on the market--some even from last year's residents who are still trying to sell their homes!(and have been paying on two mortgages for months!)
Wrong Rochester.....This is the NY forum page.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,056 times
I am a medical provider who just left the University of Rochester, and now moving out of state. As far as communities, schools, and commutes go: I believe Brighton, Pittsford, or Penfield will have exactly what you are looking for. Brighton and Pittsford are the closest to the hospital, and more affluent. However, Penfield is a wonderful community with more of a country feel. Penfield has more affordable housing, and is close to the expressway and many other conveniences. It also has one of the best Wegmans grocery stores I have ever been to. If you have not experienced Wegmans, you are in for a big treat! I would also suggest avoiding Henrietta (very congested, many low-income housing areas, a retail explosion on the main road: Jefferson Rd.). I have lived in Rochester since 1988, when I started at the Rochester Institute of Technology. My college experience was top notch, but Henrietta is not a great place to settle down in, unless you are looking for cookie-cutter housing development, lots of people, and lots of shopping right around the corner. As mentioned earlier, if you ar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area