Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 08:56 AM

355 posts, read 2,369,386 times

Advertisements

Do your phone companies in Rochester (or suburbs) have their own area, meaning you don't have a choice between 2 or even 3 companies when you want to hook up your phone service? (In some cities, the companies are assigned to one area or another, to avoid "encroaching"; so, depending on what area of town you live, you will have one "assigned" phone company).

I'm interested in the Brighton area specifically. When I'm ready to request a phone service, will I have more than one choice? If so, what will they be and, do you have any comments (good or bad) about those companies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 12:14 PM

525 posts, read 1,827,240 times
Unless you want IP phone service, you pretty much have Frontier. I dropped Frontier for Time Warner when my monthly bill without long distance became more expensive than Time Warner including caller id and long distance. If you get phone over the internet, you can choose from Time Warner, Vonage, and others. I know a lot of people that just use cell phones and have no land line as well.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochacha View Post
I know a lot of people that just use cell phones and have no land line as well.
Actually, since the apartment complex I'll be living at already offers free internet access, I was thinking whether I needed a land line at all. But when I started looking at cell phones plans (I don't have one right now), I saw most large companies required you to provide a telephone number on their forms (some companies even required a primary and a secondary phone). So it's like you need to have a phone to then be given a phone? It sounds as ridiculous as a car sales person refusing to sell you a car unless you already own a car (which would prove that you are worthy of having a car?). The only cell phones that apparently do not require a previous phone number are the prepaid ones (although I did not check every single company)

Old 08-02-2008, 06:15 PM

897 posts, read 2,457,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpg_99 View Post
I saw most large companies required you to provide a telephone number on their forms (some companies even required a primary and a secondary phone). So it's like you need to have a phone to then be given a phone? It sounds as ridiculous as a car sales person refusing to sell you a car unless you already own a car (which would prove that you are worthy of having a car?). The only cell phones that apparently do not require a previous phone number are the prepaid ones (although I did not check every single company)
That is incorrect information. You do not need a Home phone (land line) to get a cell phone. Cell phone companies just like any other billing company would prefer you to tell them your current phone number. The reason is for example if you fail to pay your bill they will contact to tell you to pay. Second they use the Home phone number to select you a cell phone number so you can get a local number.
You also can have 1 line of service but most people get more than 1 phone now a days.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
That is incorrect information. You do not need a Home phone (land line) to get a cell phone.

The information, as I stated it, is correct. You may have done a different research, consulting different companies, or the same companies but different plans, or any other combination. But, since I did my own research, you cannot say my information is wrong. At the most, you can say your research lead to different results.

When I say the forms have obligatory field, I'm referring to online forms where, if you leave a field blank, the form is not processed. When I tried to fill out those forms and used zeroes for the phone field the process indicated an invalid phone number had been entered. Then I got on the phone with a customer service person, and he confirmed I had to have a phone (he was willing to accept an office number, but what if you are a student and don't have an office; your parents house? Who said your parents were able to answer the phone? They may be too old, sick, living in an assisted living facility, not alive anymore, lots of possible scenarios). The bottom line was, they wanted a phone number.

Regarding your statement that "...You do not need a Home phone (land line) to get a cell phone", I never said otherwise. In my email, I'm saying that a prepaid phone plan does not require you to have a phone number or, for that matter, to provide an SSN (which most 2-year plans require).

Regarding your statement that they need the number to "...contact to tell you to pay", well, here's an idea: if they give me that cell phone, they will have a number to call.

Finally, you mention that "...they use the Home phone number to select you a cell phone number so you can get a local number", well, who says everyone wants a local number? You may be on the road a lot, and your boss may be in another state, so you want a number with that area code; or, you may telecommute from another state, and you want a number with an area code where your headquarters are, so that when your colleagues there call you it's a local call. Or, it can be a situation like mine, where I'm moving in a week and I want a number now to deal with my movers, but I want the number to be in Rochester so that, when I get there, I don't have to change my number for it to be local. So if a company is using your current phone to assign your new number, they are just making it more complex for all those customers who may be in a situation like the ones described above. As a matter of fact, I found only one company (I believe it was Verizon) that let you choose any area code as your new number.

Since we are getting off topic, I'll end it here and won't answer any more "that is incorrect" statements. But I know the companies I researched did expect customers to have a phone already (I didn't say it had to be a landline) as evidenced by their online forms on their websites, and their customer service people, with some plans, like the prepaid phones, not having that requirement. But I will accept that your research may indicate otherwise because we may not be looking at exactly the same things.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:46 PM

116 posts, read 294,302 times
Quote:
The information, as I stated it, is correct. You may have done a different research, consulting different companies, or the same companies but different plans, or any other combination. But, since I did my own research, you cannot say my information is wrong. At the most, you can say your research lead to different results.

When I say the forms have obligatory field, I'm referring to online forms where, if you leave a field blank, the form is not processed. When I tried to fill out those forms and used zeroes for the phone field the process indicated an invalid phone number had been entered. Then I got on the phone with a customer service person, and he confirmed I had to have a phone (he was willing to accept an office number, but what if you are a student and don't have an office; your parents house? Who said your parents were able to answer the phone? They may be too old, sick, living in an assisted living facility, not alive anymore, lots of possible scenarios). The bottom line was, they wanted a phone number.

Regarding your statement that "...You do not need a Home phone (land line) to get a cell phone", I never said otherwise. In my email, I'm saying that a prepaid phone plan does not require you to have a phone number or, for that matter, to provide an SSN (which most 2-year plans require).

Regarding your statement that they need the number to "...contact to tell you to pay", well, here's an idea: if they give me that cell phone, they will have a number to call.

Finally, you mention that "...they use the Home phone number to select you a cell phone number so you can get a local number", well, who says everyone wants a local number? You may be on the road a lot, and your boss may be in another state, so you want a number with that area code; or, you may telecommute from another state, and you want a number with an area code where your headquarters are, so that when your colleagues there call you it's a local call. Or, it can be a situation like mine, where I'm moving in a week and I want a number now to deal with my movers, but I want the number to be in Rochester so that, when I get there, I don't have to change my number for it to be local. So if a company is using your current phone to assign your new number, they are just making it more complex for all those customers who may be in a situation like the ones described above. As a matter of fact, I found only one company (I believe it was Verizon) that let you choose any area code as your new number.

Since we are getting off topic, I'll end it here and won't answer any more "that is incorrect" statements. But I know the companies I researched did expect customers to have a phone already (I didn't say it had to be a landline) as evidenced by their online forms on their websites, and their customer service people, with some plans, like the prepaid phones, not having that requirement. But I will accept that your research may indicate otherwise because we may not be looking at exactly the same things.
I do not think so only one company is Verizon. As a matter of fact I was in the same situation than you and I called T-Mobile and they allowed me the service right a way. Dude, Are you working for verizon? Silly

Old 08-02-2008, 09:51 PM

116 posts, read 294,302 times
Quote:
Actually, since the apartment complex I'll be living at already offers free internet access, I was thinking whether I needed a land line at all. But when I started looking at cell phones plans (I don't have one right now), I saw most large companies required you to provide a telephone number on their forms (some companies even required a primary and a secondary phone). So it's like you need to have a phone to then be given a phone? It sounds as ridiculous as a car sales person refusing to sell you a car unless you already own a car (which would prove that you are worthy of having a car?). The only cell phones that apparently do not require a previous phone number are the prepaid ones (although I did not check every single company)
Dude the request you the phone as a reference. It's like when you apply for a job. Whether you know someone then you can use his phone it is not a problem

Old 08-02-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoffy View Post
Dude, Are you working for verizon? Silly

As said, I won't address comments of that tenor. I don't think they add anything positive to what could otherwise be a nice, respectful exchange of information.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochacha View Post
I dropped Frontier for Time Warner when my monthly bill without long distance became more expensive than Time Warner including caller id and long distance.

Thank you for the information. I went to their website (Frontier and Time Warner) and all I saw was digital service bundles or packages that included all extra services (e.g., caller ID, call forwarding, etc.). Do you know if one can get just the basic service with a flat montly rate, or do they only sell complete packages? Frontier's was $39.99 (with a 2-year commitment), while Time Warner had a promotion for $ 29.95 (they'll keep the price for 6 months, after which it will be the "market price").

Old 08-03-2008, 02:36 PM

897 posts, read 2,457,260 times
Quote:

I am glad that you clarified what forms means. You also can go into a store or call to set-up service which may be helpful for you to get around putting a number in their required field. You could also put your area code and then 555 and then the remaining numbers. Again this is used to get a local number, The form is limited and it does not always know that you want a different area code that is why it is better to talk to some one. Sprint, t-mobile and Verizon will let you have numbers from any where but Sprint if you are out of your area more than 60% of your calls for consecutive months they will start billing roaming charges. (well that is what it says in the small print)
Contractual plans do not need a home or land line phone number or a SSN. If you leave out your SSN you may have to pay a deposit. Most cell phone companies will call your home line unless specified. They do not call your cell phone because of privacy protection depending on carrier.

So to summarize online service to setup cell phones is limited. If you do not mind giving your info over the internet that it is not a problem. But if you do not have a phone number previously or do not want to give out critical info again the best option is to see a local phone provider in person or over the phone.

I am confirming that you can do the above because I work for a Phone company and I have personally done these practices for customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area