Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 02:10 PM

134 posts, read 520,033 times

Advertisements

Floods here are generally from unusual weather events.... like hurricanes blowing up the coast at the NE part of the country. Any real major dumping of rain can cause flooding, but nothing to worry about. The Genesee River is fairly well controlled, but every couple of decades an unusual amount of water will threaten to top the Dam at Mount Morris, (upsteam of Rochester).

There are LOTS of easy hiking trails around this region... including the Finger Lakes Trail. You can search for the web site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 05:10 PM

12 posts, read 63,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melkat View Post
rochester itself is VERY flat (we always laugh when we start pulling into the area)

I hear you about Wegmans and the eggs...I believe they have rectified the situation though. I saw a sign by the egg display when I was home but I had my 2 kids with me and I'm pg so I didn't have a chance to read it. I mulled over the situation as well and went back and forth (we don't have a wegmans here so it didnt' impact me much) but they do so much for the community and so much for their employees that I thought that they meant more to me (the people they help) than the chickens they don't (or should say didn't) We also have tops market another big chain, I'm sure they have a lot of organics as well

I don't want to offend anyone but I would never live in Gates or Henrietta (and yes I have lots of family in Gates) Henrietta is very commercial unless you go towards Rush (aka lots of strip malls, a regular mall, car dealerships etc...) How much are you thinking of spending on a home?

Thanks for the input on Wegmans and Henrietta. Why wouldn't you live in Gates?
We have seen many homes that are within our price range.......$200,000.
I am so amazed at the absolutely beautiful homes you can get at that price. Here in Northern Va some of these homes would be going for double that.
That was one of the reasons we started looking up there. Things are so much cheaper.

I was only interested in Gates and Henrietta because A real estate agent sent us some listings from there. Are there any areas up there that have new housing construction?
Thanks again for all your info, it has really been helpful!

Old 01-12-2007, 05:15 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,606,922 times
I would also suggest avoiding Gates. I can't explain it, but it has just always seemed a little "white trashy" to me. Same thing with southern Irondequoit. I don't see why you would want to avoid Henrietta though...ironicaly enough my sister just moved from Gates to a brand new house in a beautiful area of east Henrietta. Yes, the areas of the town just outside of the city are very commerciall..... lots of high tech companies set up shop there because of the proximity to RIT, which is also in northern Henrietta... but that is only one part of the town, the rest of it is very nice IMO. Kind of like the town of Pittsford (not the village), only more middle class.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:02 AM

254 posts, read 1,058,945 times
Well I wouldn't say Gates is white trashy..more blue collar. Yes there are areas of Henrietta that are decent but it doesn't have much of a town feel to it (if you want that anyways) I still wouldn't live there

UGH new construction! We have new construction and it was a big mistake! The lawn, or lack there of, no trees... blech! I prefer established neighborhoods (and real neighborhoods, not developements but again that is just me..Rochester and the burbs have so many wonderful established neighborhoods )

I dont' think anyone has asked you yet if you have jobs (not sure if you are retired?) but if you don't you definetly don't want to move there without one of you having one..the economy is so-so.

If you want to be closer to the city there is the Park Ave area for houses (there are a lot of apartment type houses but also single houses) Also the area between Winton and 490 (you would think I would know the name since my husband grew up in that area on Beresford Road..zip is 14610) Also around Highland Park in the city there are some nice neighborhoods. Penfield, Pittsford, Brighton and Webster (though a bit far out) are all nice suburbs. Your $ won't go as far in Brighton or Pittsford but they both have a town feel to them (more so Pittsford..plus there is the canal for biking/walking etc.. and Pittsford dairy oh and a little organic eating place in Shoen Place plus Aladdins natural eatery (also one on Monroe ave near Park ave) You mentioned Fairport before and that is a nice area with canal trails (though I always think it is a pain to get there..no good access)

you can look for homes on Nothnagle.com (a local real estate company) I dont' know why your agent is showing you Gates and Henrietta?

Here is one in Pittsford (not much yard but it is in the village which is very desirable!) stay away from ones on Jefferson Road (a main road)

http://nothnagle.com/property/proper...AR_SearchType=

this one is in the Park Ave area:

this one is in Penfield..it is a little far out though

this is a really nice neighborhood in Brighton

this one is in my old neighborhood in Brighton :-)

(sorry I was bored..my kids are napping and my husband is out and I don't feel like cleaning! Plus I love to dream about moving back home)

Old 01-13-2007, 11:25 AM

306 posts, read 1,621,406 times
Thanks for the fine listings, Melkat. (You should see the real-estate cruising *I* do when I'm supposed to be working!)

I have a few questions about taxes on such properties/in this area.

Do the tax costs listed for each property seem accurate to you?

Are these the total tax costs for a homeowner in this area, or are there are other tax & fee costs involved?

Are these taxes paid all at once? If so, at what point in the year? Can they be paid on a monthly basis?

Thanks.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeward bound View Post
Thanks for the fine listings, Melkat. (You should see the real-estate cruising *I* do when I'm supposed to be working!)

I have a few questions about taxes on such properties/in this area.

Do the tax costs listed for each property seem accurate to you?

Are these the total tax costs for a homeowner in this area, or are there are other tax & fee costs involved?

Are these taxes paid all at once? If so, at what point in the year? Can they be paid on a monthly basis?

Thanks.

The taxes do seem accurate (and high I know but housing is cheaper than other areas of the country for what you get ) There aren't any additional taxes like you pay in other states..like personal property/car taxes once a year. Taxes can be paid by your mortgage company so you don't have to worry about them..I don't know how many times a year since it just comes out of the mortgage bill. Some towns will have garbage/recycling fees in addition to the taxes but they aren't really much (I don't know off hand which towns have these and which don't )

Old 01-14-2007, 09:43 PM

47 posts, read 285,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melkat View Post
The taxes do seem accurate (and high I know but housing is cheaper than other areas of the country for what you get ) There aren't any additional taxes like you pay in other states..like personal property/car taxes once a year. Taxes can be paid by your mortgage company so you don't have to worry about them..I don't know how many times a year since it just comes out of the mortgage bill. Some towns will have garbage/recycling fees in addition to the taxes but they aren't really much (I don't know off hand which towns have these and which don't )

Wow, are property taxes really that high? 12K on a 400K house? This is putting a damper on my relocation plans to Rochester area from Orlando, FL. Does anyone know a link as to how these property taxes are computed? TIA.

Old 01-14-2007, 09:59 PM

306 posts, read 1,621,406 times
Yes, but consider that a Rochester-area house that's equivalent to a 400k Orlando house would cost you probably $225,000 or so. Maybe considerably less. So your taxes would be considerably lower, too.

Plus, you do get a break on your taxes 'cause of these.

I suggest scoping out houses you like in the areas that others have suggested here (depending on your interests, of course), and then seeing what the taxes would be. Given how affordable houses are around Rochester in terms of sales prices, I think you'd come out about even with your Florida equivalent situation in terms of overall costs. If you have some mobility here--don't need to be a school district with the best schools, etc.--you could find a commute-able distance from Rochester that has considerably lower taxes. They vary quite a bit from county to county and even, if you live inside a village as opposed to in a town, within a county.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:19 AM

47 posts, read 285,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeward bound View Post
Yes, but consider that a Rochester-area house that's equivalent to a 400k Orlando house would cost you probably $225,000 or so. Maybe considerably less. So your taxes would be considerably lower, too.

Plus, you do get a break on your taxes 'cause of these.

I suggest scoping out houses you like in the areas that others have suggested here (depending on your interests, of course), and then seeing what the taxes would be. Given how affordable houses are around Rochester in terms of sales prices, I think you'd come out about even with your Florida equivalent situation in terms of overall costs. If you have some mobility here--don't need to be a school district with the best schools, etc.--you could find a commute-able distance from Rochester that has considerably lower taxes. They vary quite a bit from county to county and even, if you live inside a village as opposed to in a town, within a county.
The only reason that I'm actually considering the Rochester area is for the schools and its proximity to Toronto, since all of our immediate relatives live in Toronto. I prefer to live in the US than Canada. Commuting is not an issue for me but I do want to live in a good, if not exceptional school district. A good friend of mine used to live there and he suggested only the Brighton and Pittsford area. From what we've seen, a house in those areas, that is comparable to the house we currently have in Orlando, runs around 300K to 400K. We are only really considering brand new home developments, not resale ones. We might really need to see a realtor to find a house with a reasonable price, and consequently, a lower property tax.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:51 PM

crickey..there aren't very many new homes being built in either of those towns..the real estate market isn't strong enough to warrant it so you will be quite limited (nor is there a lot of available space in either town) Towns that have more new developments going up are Webster and parts of Penfield. Taxes would be higher in a new development in those towns anyways since they would have been assessed at building where as other houses may have not been assessed for a while. Mendon may have some new developements. We had A LOT of drugs in Brighton (as well as Pittsford and they are still there)

Yes taxes are high..my dad paid over 16k a year for his house in Brighton (he lived right by CCR..country club of Rochester) in a VERY nice area. Houses around there are over 750k though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area