Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 08:13 PM

112 posts, read 381,370 times

Advertisements

I like the upstate region for it's affordable housing, beautiful countryside, parks and great lakes. However I am debating between Buffalo and Rochester. Rochester seems to be higher taxes but better housing value.
I'm an engineering tech so best job prospects are a consideration. Do people live in Rochester and commute to Buffalo and visa versa? Downtown Rochester seems pretty dead at night, more happening in Buffalo it would seem. Rochester seems a lot cleaner for sure. What do Rochester people think about Buffalo? Do they mostly stay away excepting Bills & Sabres games?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 09:20 PM

214 posts, read 1,005,741 times
I got my engineering degree from UB in Buffalo and it seemed that Rochester had more in the way of job opportunities in my field, though I didn't end up in either city.

If I had to pick between the two for career, I'd have to go with Rochester. Kodak, Bausch and Lomb, Xerox, among others had major operations in the area.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:14 AM

96 posts, read 394,698 times
Rochester has gotten pretty lively at night-- it is true that downtown itself empties out but the east end area has a lot going on and nightlife seems to be growing. Bars, cafes, music venues, coffee houses dot different neighborhoods as well. The jazz festival opens this weekend and the streets will be closed off around East and Gibb with lots of partying and free music in the streets as well as ticketed acts around town. I don't know enough about Buffalo to compare.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:51 AM

Thanks guys (or gals). Do you think I could commute from Canandaigua or Geneva to downtown Rochester? What do Rochesteronians like most about Rochester?

Old 06-14-2008, 09:45 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,378,422 times
Lack of traffic jams/easy commutes, which answers both of your questions. I recall several years ago when Rochester & Buffalo both had the 716 area code & a decision had to be made to change it for one of the cities. Someone on the Rochester PBS radio station made the statement that because Buffalo is more "blue collar" and Rochester is more "white collar," they had better let Buffalo keep 716 & let the Rochester people learn the new one. The implication was that the people in Rochester were smarter/more adaptable. Don't know if that gives you any insight or not.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:53 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,722,715 times
Very similar cities. Buffalo has the Sabres and Bills and is a little bigger. Rochester is seen as more white collar.
Other than that, not much difference.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:10 AM

96 posts, read 394,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friedzone View Post
Thanks guys (or gals). Do you think I could commute from Canandaigua or Geneva to downtown Rochester? What do Rochesteronians like most about Rochester?
Although the commute, especially to Canandaigua, is do-able, not sure you would want to do it. I guess I need to know more specfics-- are you trying to live close to a finger lake?

What I like most: friendly, lots of cultural and nature options, good ethnic restaurants, lots of progressive and educated folks, great schools and strong sense of community and connection to others. Love the old architecture too.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:42 PM

I do love the finger lakes but with the price of gas I think living closer to Rochester is advisable. Any neighborhoods people would recommend? I like the water front.

Old 06-14-2008, 05:20 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,598,569 times
Do you mean the waterfront on Canandaigua Lake in Canandaigua or on Lake Ontario one of the closer Rochester suburbs? There is a lot more to choose from (at a much lower price) on Lake Ontario in Greece, Irondequoit, even Webster (also much close to dt Rochester), than on Canandaigua lake in Canandaigua....but the Finger lakes (which Canandaigua lake is part of) are considered much more beautiful and recreation-friendly.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:16 PM

I am thinking Lake Ontario close to Rochester, I enjoy the Lake Ontario breezes & fresh air. Greece, Irondequiot & Webster seem like good places to start looking. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area