Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 07:16 AM

93,222 posts, read 123,819,554 times

Advertisements

I came across this article in the D&C and it looks like it could be an interesting possibility, that I'm somewhat surprised hasn't come up in the past in terms of becoming a state park.

https://www.democratandchronicle.com...DC-E-NLETTER65

From the article: "Starting at the base of High Falls, and extending three-quarters of a mile north in the depths of the Genesee River gorge is a largely inaccessible expanse and future state park.

The 40-acre mix of wooded terrain and rocky riverfront is wedged between jagged gorge walls and visible from bridges up to 100 feet overhead.

"Truly magnificent," is how Erik Frisch, the city's deputy commissioner of neighborhood and business development describes being in serene space; the sounds and wildlife that today are concealed at the edge of downtown.

Gov. Kathy Hochul pledged her support earlier this month for creating High Falls State Park, and included $6 million for initial design work in her proposed budget.

“The first urban State Park in the heart of the city of Rochester will be a destination that will attract visitors from all over to experience the city like never before,” Hochul said in a statement, describing the river gorge as "historic and breathtaking. "This new green space will be a major step forward in Rochester’s continued renewal.”

Funding for park construction is yet to be determined.

Conceptual designs show trails and roadways, overlooks, a new foot bridge crossing the river, and an amphitheater, with much of the parkland spreading out north of the Pont de Rennes pedestrian bridge. Another envisions a glass-enclosed building and elevator shaft extending from atop the gorge wall to a park below. Along with amenities like restrooms, there could be an urban ecology center, a zip line and more.

The state expects to host a series of public presentations to solicit input beginning this spring.

Plans are to complete the park in phases over five years, a state parks spokesman said. But there are several complicating factors.

The envisioned parkland includes the former City of Rochester incinerator site but almost entirely owned by Rochester Gas & Electric and Basuch+Lomb. Cleanup of past industrial uses must be completed before the land is transferred. RG&E is working with the state on two cleanup programs the state spokesman said should start in 2023 and continue through 2025.

What happens with Inner Loop North reconfiguration is another consideration, as the roadway will impact the southern most park boundary.

There has been talk of turning these grounds into a park for well over a decade. Or at least providing public access. City officials included a version of the idea — complete with a tree-top trail — in an assemblage of riverfront developments that became the Roc the Riverway proposal five years ago."

Just to add, there are multiple projects mentioned in the article below as well, for those that have access.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-31-2022 at 08:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2022, 09:25 AM

More related news...

Gov. Hochul: $100M in state budget proposal for Inner Loop North(and more): https://www.wivb.com/news/new-york/r...es-at-930-a-m/

Old 03-08-2022, 05:52 AM

6,416 posts, read 3,131,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
More related news...

Gov. Hochul: $100M in state budget proposal for Inner Loop North(and more): https://www.wivb.com/news/new-york/r...es-at-930-a-m/
I am SO tired of hearing about the "Inner Loop", and all the social havoc it supposedly created. Chicago has a "loop", and Washington, DC, has the "Capital Beltway", to name a couple of similar roadways, and I'm sure that other metropolitan areas have similar road systems.

The way I see it, Rochester's Inner Loop encircled Rochester's "business district", at a time when Rochester actually had a downtown business district. It provided a means to quickly get from one side of town, to the other, if you weren't going shopping or to work, no more, no less. Granted, it may not make a lot of sense, today, but in the mid-50s, when the plans were being made, and the construction was begun, it made sense.

If one wanted to disparage the social aspects of road construction, how about how I 490 tore through the established suburbs on the east side of Rochester? How about how several luxurious mansions were torn down, to construct the "can of worms"? (I remember seeing those houses going down, myself) How about how sections of Irondequoit were torn up, to first construct I 590 (initially known as NY Route 47), then to construct the route 104 expressway? Or how about how Greece and Gates were bisected when I 390 was constructed up the west side of the county?

Just something to think about............

Old 03-08-2022, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I am SO tired of hearing about the "Inner Loop", and all the social havoc it supposedly created. Chicago has a "loop", and Washington, DC, has the "Capital Beltway", to name a couple of similar roadways, and I'm sure that other metropolitan areas have similar road systems.

The way I see it, Rochester's Inner Loop encircled Rochester's "business district", at a time when Rochester actually had a downtown business district. It provided a means to quickly get from one side of town, to the other, if you weren't going shopping or to work, no more, no less. Granted, it may not make a lot of sense, today, but in the mid-50s, when the plans were being made, and the construction was begun, it made sense.

If one wanted to disparage the social aspects of road construction, how about how I 490 tore through the established suburbs on the east side of Rochester? How about how several luxurious mansions were torn down, to construct the "can of worms"? (I remember seeing those houses going down, myself) How about how sections of Irondequoit were torn up, to first construct I 590 (initially known as NY Route 47), then to construct the route 104 expressway? Or how about how Greece and Gates were bisected when I 390 was constructed up the west side of the county?

In terms of the bolded, this is the Chicago Loop: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Loop and the Beltway is around Washington DC.

Many of the suburban highways were created as suburbs were developing versus tearing down established neighborhoods, for the most part.

Also, as the segment mentions, this is as much as connecting Downtown with the neighborhoods nearby that were separated by the highway. This means the chance for more development for the core of the city. I didn't hear anything else except for that in the segment.

More on this...

'Let the church say amen': Mayor Malik Evans celebrates millions in funding for Rochester: https://www.democratandchronicle.com...DC-E-NLETTER65

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-08-2022 at 07:25 AM..

Old 03-08-2022, 10:16 AM

5,686 posts, read 4,084,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post

Yes, something to think about, indeed.

I have studied left/right, black/white, education, government issues my entire life. The internet is a great place to expose their hypocricy. They try to twist things so they are "right" on both sides of issues.

Here's a couple examples:
-For decades, democrats have complained about "sprawl". Now they are enacting laws forcing the suburbs to accept low income housing wherever they want to build, outside of local codes, and building solar farms on every bare piece of land. (Further affirming fair housing)

- Here's another:
After constant complaining that "gentricication" was forcing blacks out of their communities because they can't afford to live there, now I'm reading where there is a move on to INCREASE the value of black owned homes.

You can't make this stuff up.

Old 03-08-2022, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Yes, something to think about, indeed.

I have studied left/right, black/white, education, government issues my entire life. The internet is a great place to expose their hypocricy. They try to twist things so they are "right" on both sides of issues.

Here's a couple examples:
-For decades, democrats have complained about "sprawl". Now they are enacting laws forcing the suburbs to accept low income housing wherever they want to build, outside of local codes, and building solar farms on every bare piece of land. (Further affirming fair housing)

- Here's another:
After constant complaining that "gentricication" was forcing blacks out of their communities because they can't afford to live there, now I'm reading where there is a move on to INCREASE the value of black owned homes.

You can't make this stuff up.
Just curious, but what does this have to do with the state park possibility in that area of Rochester?

Old 03-08-2022, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Just curious, but what does this have to do with the state park possibility in that area of Rochester?
If you look at leadfoot's comment, which was what I responded to, it makes perfect sense

Old 03-08-2022, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
If you look at leadfoot's comment, which was what I responded to, it makes perfect sense
I did and I explained that the difference between the Inner Loop and the suburban highway construction was a matter of development in terms of one going through established neighborhoods versus the suburban highways essentially being built while those suburbs were being developed. So, in a sense, the highway development had suburbanites in mind, not those that lived in the neighborhoods near Downtown. To be honest, that didn't have anything to do with the establishment of a Downtown state park, but I think the focus now is on really mending the neighborhoods around Downtown with Downtown, in order to have a clean slate to develop the core of the city. That's whether with a park or housing developments, social impact/politics/feelings aside.

Old 03-08-2022, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I did and I explained that the difference between the Inner Loop and the suburban highway construction was a matter of development in terms of one going through established neighborhoods versus the suburban highways essentially being built while those suburbs were being developed. So, in a sense, the highway development had suburbanites in mind, not those that lived in the neighborhoods near Downtown. To be honest, that didn't have anything to do with the establishment of a Downtown state park, but I think the focus now is on really mending the neighborhoods around Downtown with Downtown, in order to have a clean slate to develop the core of the city. That's whether with a park or housing developments, social impact/politics/feelings aside.
Let me remind you that YOU brought the Inner Loop North project into this thread.

The expressways were built to benefit ALL citizens, just not in the same way. (for instance, to get suburbaites downtown easily. With a large population of JOBS downtown, there were many more JOBS available at all skill levels)

What baffles me is how people have not adapted, and rebuilt newer and better. What's it been, 60 years. That's literally a whole lifetime.

Old 03-08-2022, 01:37 PM

OK, back to the park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area