Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2023, 02:40 PM

93,169 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I don't understand why I have to repeat this for you again and again.

#1- the biggest cost of housing is taxes--lower taxes

#2- another thing that makes housing unaffordable is catering to the unions, and paying twice as much. Also the scaffold laws.

#3-Lower taxes will help to draw jobs. Jobs make everything more affordable.

#4- The solution takes care of itself.
#1 doesn’t make sense, as most of one’s mortgage goes to the banks and the issue is more about the percentage of income that go towards housing. 25-30% is roughly what people should be looking at and according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, in 2021 housing made up about 33% of overall cost of living for Americans. See response to lower taxes in response to #3.

Explain what unions have to do with solving the lack of relatively affordable housing?

I knew #3 would come, but you are going to still need housing for the people moving in and if anything, places that have jobs have higher housing prices, not lower, due to demand.

#4 isn’t a solution though.

Again, this doesn’t even address the aspect of investors and short term rentals, that decrease inventory for those looking to buy a home/condo/townhome. I have heard stories from people I know looking for a home, but kept getting outbid by out of town investors/buyers paying with cash.

So, again, what is the solution? I already mentioned ideas of how to increase housing, but I’m still wondering about the short term aspect? Would you have a moratorium on short term rentals or actually let that play out and increase demand for those that want to buy a home/condo/townhome?

I’m honestly not trying to be combative, but this is one of those things where while not perfect, people may not like the proposal, yet don’t offer a solution or idea to alleviate the issue. Again, both side of the aisle admit that this is a real issue as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-18-2023 at 02:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2023, 03:35 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
#1 doesn’t make sense, as most of one’s mortgage goes to the banks and the issue is more about the percentage of income that go towards housing. 25-30% is roughly what people should be looking at and according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, in 2021 housing made up about 33% of overall cost of living for Americans. See response to lower taxes in response to #3.

Explain what unions have to do with solving the lack of relatively affordable housing?

I knew #3 would come, but you are going to still need housing for the people moving in and if anything, places that have jobs have higher housing prices, not lower, due to demand.

#4 isn’t a solution though.

Again, this doesn’t even address the aspect of investors and short term rentals, that decrease inventory for those looking to buy a home/condo/townhome. I have heard stories from people I know looking for a home, but kept getting outbid by out of town investors/buyers paying with cash.

So, again, what is the solution? I already mentioned ideas of how to increase housing, but I’m still wondering about the short term aspect? Would you have a moratorium on short term rentals or actually let that play out and increase demand for those that want to buy a home/condo/townhome?

I’m honestly not trying to be combative, but this is one of those things where while not perfect, people may not like the proposal, yet don’t offer a solution or idea to alleviate the issue. Again, both side of the aisle admit that this is a real issue as well.
YOUR response to #1 makes no sense. Pure and simple, whether you have a mortgage with escrow, or pay taxes directly, in 99% of instances, THAT is a household's largest expense. If you don't understand, don't blame me.

Unions and prevailing wage laws add greatly to building construction. Whay else does it cost $350,000 to build each unit????? Non union jobs can do as good or better for less. Plus, the could possibly employ the very people purchasing the house.

It doesn't take much to notice that states with lower taxes are having no problem building housing for the masses moving there.

#4 IS the solution. Let the free market work it through.

Old 02-19-2023, 11:37 AM

Quote:
YOUR response to #1 makes no sense. Pure and simple, whether you have a mortgage with escrow, or pay taxes directly, in 99% of instances, THAT is a household's largest expense. If you don't understand, don't blame me.

Unions and prevailing wage laws add greatly to building construction. Whay else does it cost $350,000 to build each unit????? Non union jobs can do as good or better for less. Plus, the could possibly employ the very people purchasing the house.

It doesn't take much to notice that states with lower taxes are having no problem building housing for the masses moving there.

#4 IS the solution. Let the free market work it through.
Housing in general is the biggest expense, not just the property taxes. Think principal and interest, insurance, etc. That’s why it doesn’t make sense, as unaffordable housing can include rentals and rent/mortgages are more than property taxes. Hence, why you can find many people that pay 40-50% of income on housing. That is where the issue with affordability comes from.

Materials also play a part in building costs. Some unions actullay offer training for residents, which some get into and work in the trades.

States with lower taxes also have issues with housing being unaffordable and I gave an example about how areas of FL have had issues due to factors I mentioned, including being out of reach for some residents.

In terms of 4, even with the free market, you have dynamics that lead to reasons for more housing needing to built based upon factors already mentioned like short term rentals, investors buying properties, etc. So, to respond to free market dynamics, housing has to be built to meet demand.

Again, this is something that both sides of the aisle agree upon, but it may be an issue of approach. https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/newyork/...-housing-plan/

Anyway, I’ll leave this alone…

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-19-2023 at 11:55 AM..

Old 02-19-2023, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Housing in general is the biggest expense, not just the property taxes. Think principal and interest, insurance, etc. That’s why it doesn’t make sense, as unaffordable housing can include rentals and rent/mortgages are more than property taxes. Hence, why you can find many people that pay 40-50% of income on housing. That is where the issue with affordability comes from.

Materials also play a part in building costs. Some unions actullay offer training for residents, which some get into and work in the trades.

States with lower taxes also have issues with housing being unaffordable and I gave an example about how areas of FL have had issues due to factors I mentioned, including being out of reach for some residents.

In terms of 4, even with the free market, you have dynamics that lead to reasons for more housing needing to built based upon factors already mentioned like short term rentals, investors buying properties, etc. So, to respond to free market dynamics, housing has to be built to meet demand.

Again, this is something that both sides of the aisle agree upon, but it may be an issue of approach. https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/newyork/...-housing-plan/

Anyway, I’ll leave this alone…
Thanks for the lesson--not. You clearly don't understand about mortgages and escrows. Your comment just proved it. I don't need to "think". I've been living this my whole life.

Anyway, as far as affordability goes, when I was a kid, I wanted my own boat. There were no affordable boats then, and not now either. Not fair. Here's what I did. I increased my income so I could afford it. It was a great lesson, and because of it, I bought my first house at 18 years old.

Catering to peoples every need is not helpful in the long run, but it does get politicians elected by the misled populass. Of course the republicans are on board. How else would they get elected in a blue state.

It's amazing when a person takes responsibilty for their well being, and pay their own bills. You find you can live where you want, instead of depending on others. Great example to show your kids too.

Old 02-19-2023, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the lesson--not. You clearly don't understand about mortgages and escrows. Your comment just proved it. I don't need to "think". I've been living this my whole life.

Anyway, as far as affordability goes, when I was a kid, I wanted my own boat. There were no affordable boats then, and not now either. Not fair. Here's what I did. I increased my income so I could afford it. It was a great lesson, and because of it, I bought my first house at 18 years old.

Catering to peoples every need is not helpful in the long run, but it does get politicians elected by the misled populass. Of course the republicans are on board. How else would they get elected in a blue state.

It's amazing when a person takes responsibilty for their well being, and pay their own bills. You find you can live where you want, instead of depending on others. Great example to show your kids too.
This isn’t about a lesson, which by the way, most mortgages go to principal and interest, not property taxes. Escrow just means that the taxes are paid indirectly within the mortgage payment. For instance, my own mortgage is like this and when the tax bill comes, it is already paid for, including the 16.25% off due to having the Wartime Vet exemption(just looked at school and real property/county/town tax sheets I got a few days ago).

I guess supply/demand isn’t a part of the free market according to you. The point is that if the free market allows for people to purchase properties for short term rentals, then you are decreasing the supply for home rentals/buyers. Which means if you are letting the free market play out this way, you are going to need to supply more housing for those renters/buyers. You can take responsibility and still get priced out by investors, which by the way have the right to buy properties. You’re just going to decrease availability for renters/buyers looking to live in a home though.

Maybe the Republicans are on board, because they see that affordable housing is a national issue, regardless of affiliation or state.

Ironically, what do you think is going to be needed when Micron and affiliated companies come on board? Yet no we don’t need more housing, especially considering the age of housing stock in the area.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-19-2023 at 02:23 PM..

Old 02-19-2023, 03:28 PM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
I believe you and I enjoy living in the suburbs, having larger lots, and not built on top of each other. This is just one more "law" where our government is steamrolling it's citizens with pie in the sky regulations. Full speed ahead without any concern of how to pay for things, or if their schemes (scams) will work. It's all about power, and they don't care what damage they do, as long as they are in charge.
Agreed!!

I spent a good chunk of my life on the extreme east side of Rochester, in a house that was on a lot that was 40x120, as were the other houses on that street. Air conditioning was not common, back then, so on those hot, muggy nights, trying to sleep with the windows open, was difficult, to say the least! I spent many a night listening to my next door neighbor, who also had his windows open, and snored like a chainsaw!!

In later years, I briefly dated a girl that lived in an apartment complex. One evening, we were in her living room, watching a movie on the TV. The movie came to a very quiet scene, and I hear this sort of buzzing noise. I look at her rather strangely, and she says, "That noise, oh it's just John". I said, "Who/what is John"? She replied that he was the guy in the next door apartment, and his bedroom backed up to her living room, and he snored LOUDLY.

Yeah, I'd sure like to live like that.....along with the sounds of doors and conversation, as people came and went at all hours.

Old 02-20-2023, 06:22 AM

To be fair, the housing doesn’t have to be attached housing and even within complexes, noise/sound will vary, depending on how buildings were constructed.

Old 02-20-2023, 07:46 AM

Quote:
To be fair, the housing doesn’t have to be attached housing and even within complexes, noise/sound will vary, depending on how buildings were constructed.
"To be fair" the state government should keep their nose out of local zoning laws. The residents have moved there for a reason. If she wants more housing, there is plenty of room in the city to take the entire amount.

Years ago the federal government, who I guess doesn't have to follow local zoning built at least 2 apartment projects around Rochester. Affinity Place, in Greece, and the Pines of Perinton. Both were built under local protest. Listen to your police scanner and you'll understand.

Old 02-20-2023, 09:46 AM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
"To be fair" the state government should keep their nose out of local zoning laws. The residents have moved there for a reason. If she wants more housing, there is plenty of room in the city to take the entire amount.

Years ago the federal government, who I guess doesn't have to follow local zoning built at least 2 apartment projects around Rochester. Affinity Place, in Greece, and the Pines of Perinton. Both were built under local protest. Listen to your police scanner and you'll understand.
I'm not familiar with the Greece project, but am somewhat familiar with the 'Pines'. Along with a disruptive bunch of residents, the place looks like a penitentiary. I believe that 'Phillips Village', in Webster, was built around the same time, with the same intentions.

There were constant issues at Phillips, but it has quieted down, somewhat, lately. Strangely enough, someone I know was talking about the place, last week, and mentioned that a number of Eastern European immigrants moved into the complex, and they like peace and quiet.....and they aren't afraid to insure that it happens, if you know what I mean.

Old 02-20-2023, 10:01 AM

Quote:

The problem is that "affordable" housing is different from low income housing for one.

Second, zoning changes occur all the time and in this case, you can use infrastructure already in place, instead of worrying about having to build more infrastructure for housing.

On a side note, Phillips village sounds similar to Springfield Gardens in DeWitt outside of Syracuse, where many Eastern European immigrants have moved in recent years, though some have always been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area