Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 11:42 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,822,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
I've already demonstrated in my examples when comparing location to location and home quality to home quality, the cost of a home is less in Rochester. The lesser priced homes in the south are cookie cutter cheaply built homes. Which you can still buy the same homes for even less in comparably desirable (or less desirable) locations in Rochester.
You haven't demonstrated jack chit.

Just a statement like "cookie cutter cheaply built homes" tells me that you know nothing about the South. Ever hear of hurricanes? I've seen many homes built 12" on center for studding and joists in NC. I've actually been on tours of newly built homes in NC and the ones I saw were rock solid.

I wouldn't let you clean my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 01:47 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,080,738 times
Quote:
I've already demonstrated in my examples when comparing location to location and home quality to home quality, the cost of a home is less in Rochester. The lesser priced homes in the south are cookie cutter cheaply built homes. Which you can still buy the same homes for even less in comparably desirable (or less desirable) locations in Rochester.
My gosh I go away for a day or two and all heck breaks loose, Happy New Year!

Your last posts were for a high end condo that you were using to compare to a single family home trying to show that taxes can be lower but that's comparing apples to oranges just like new construction 30 miles away may not be convenient specially in the winter for many.

Rochester's housing stock is the same as everywhere else track homes from the 50's onward and old 4 squares and capes prior older home are made stronger and new homes are more energy efficient and outside the city school zones making them more attractive.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:05 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
You haven't demonstrated jack chit.

Just a statement like "cookie cutter cheaply built homes" tells me that you know nothing about the South. Ever hear of hurricanes? I've seen many homes built 12" on center for studding and joists in NC. I've actually been on tours of newly built homes in NC and the ones I saw were rock solid.

I wouldn't let you clean my house.
The personal insult aside, you obviously are missing the point. Comparing home to home, sq footage to sq footage, and location to location, homes in upstate NY are less expensive. You can continue to argue all you want. I gave examples of equal or better homes for less price in every example you've given. It's a fact.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
My gosh I go away for a day or two and all heck breaks loose, Happy New Year!

Your last posts were for a high end condo that you were using to compare to a single family home trying to show that taxes can be lower but that's comparing apples to oranges just like new construction 30 miles away may not be convenient specially in the winter for many.

Rochester's housing stock is the same as everywhere else track homes from the 50's onward and old 4 squares and capes prior older home are made stronger and new homes are more energy efficient and outside the city school zones making them more attractive.
Ihaven't posted any condos in this thread. Go back and re-read it. You're confusing this thread with another one. I've gave an example of a home in a first ring suburb and right in a vibrant community in the city. One home was a brand new 2014 built home and the other was a home in the city built in the 90's.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:32 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,348 times
You're still consistently inaccurate to the point it's scary you're believing what you're saying. I only hope other people are only taking what you say with a grain of salt, at the most. You say "cheaply built homes" without any description as to what that even means. And you act like a home that's modern and up to code is somehow better than an older house with crap wiring and plumbing amongst other things. I don't get it.

Also, why is Richmond being considered the south? When I'm thinking south, I'm thinking North Carolina at the very most northern point.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:55 PM

I'm not inaccurate at all. When I say cheaply built, I'm referring to the details in the home such as finishes and trims. The details that drive the price of a home up. Southern homes drive the price down by reducing the details in the home. I watch house hunters al the time. You can see the differences in the homes such as reducing prices in newer homes by using laminates instead of real hardwood floors or cheaper quality wood in cabinets in the kitchen...etc. It's all the details in the home that are missing in the cheaper southern mass produced homes.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:05 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,348 times
Lol

Old 01-02-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Ihaven't posted any condos in this thread. Go back and re-read it. You're confusing this thread with another one. I've gave an example of a home in a first ring suburb and right in a vibrant community in the city. One home was a brand new 2014 built home and the other was a home in the city built in the 90's.
Your first example I found was this 112 Atkinson St, Rochester, NY 14608 , it is an in fill house on the corner of Ford St in the SW part of the city, great schools I'm sure. Another example was along the interstate out in Greece

Most of your mention is of Corn Hill which as you said is very nice with parks, old houses and tree lined streets but unfortunately no legitimate shopping and the schools require a private option if you have kids.

You always speak so highly of 1st ring suburbs as you refer to them but very often they are transitioning and not necessarily in a good way. What do you consider "vibrant" because that is another word you often use. I look at the map and see no supermarket, usable schools and a tax burden of $28.85/$1000. On a home worth more than your example that is a major ouch, even your example has a $2800 burden.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
I'm not inaccurate at all. When I say cheaply built, I'm referring to the details in the home such as finishes and trims. The details that drive the price of a home up. Southern homes drive the price down by reducing the details in the home. I watch house hunters al the time. You can see the differences in the homes such as reducing prices in newer homes by using laminates instead of real hardwood floors or cheaper quality wood in cabinets in the kitchen...etc. It's all the details in the home that are missing in the cheaper southern mass produced homes.
You use house hunters as a reference.........

Old 01-02-2015, 06:53 PM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
You're still consistently inaccurate to the point it's scary you're believing what you're saying. I only hope other people are only taking what you say with a grain of salt, at the most. You say "cheaply built homes" without any description as to what that even means. And you act like a home that's modern and up to code is somehow better than an older house with crap wiring and plumbing amongst other things. I don't get it.

Also, why is Richmond being considered the south? When I'm thinking south, I'm thinking North Carolina at the very most northern point.
Richmond is in the South and always has been. Northern VA is the part of Virginia that is different than its historic character, but the rest of the state is still "Southern".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area