Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 09:23 PM

13 posts, read 31,151 times

Advertisements

I live in the south wedge area. The 19th ward and sothwedge are simiular areas. I perfer the southwedge because it is close to East Ave/Park Ave. There are nice little restraunts and little coffee shops. Good places to go in and hook up your laptop and get some homework done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 09:26 PM

13 posts, read 31,151 times
True. The "West Side" is very bad, and close to where you were looking. Don't move there.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,843 times
Hello everyone in City Data Land,

First post so please bear with me...A quick question...South Wedge is in 14620. Is the "wedge" the area bounded by Mt Hope Ave and Clinton Ave S. Is this whole area good (safe, good schools, cafe's/bars/restaurents) or are there poorer areas mixed in there. Which streets are to be avoided, if any.

Cheers,

Shark.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:27 PM

897 posts, read 2,457,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Shark View Post
Hello everyone in City Data Land,

First post so please bear with me...A quick question...South Wedge is in 14620. Is the "wedge" the area bounded by Mt Hope Ave and Clinton Ave S. Is this whole area good (safe, good schools, cafe's/bars/restaurents) or are there poorer areas mixed in there. Which streets are to be avoided, if any.

Cheers,

Shark.
I live in the wedge. Most of the bars are around the gregory st and south ave area. The area I would stay away from is anywhere near alexandria st and heading towards the city. Averil and below is okay. Some area's on miegs st are so-so. On Mt hope from alexandria st to ford st bridge is not that great to live.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
I live in the wedge. Most of the bars are around the gregory st and south ave area. The area I would stay away from is anywhere near alexandria st and heading towards the city. Averil and below is okay. Some area's on miegs st are so-so. On Mt hope from alexandria st to ford st bridge is not that great to live.
Thanks for the speedy response shibainu, I can't find Alexandria Street on the map, only Alexander St - is this the one to avoid (and in towards the city from there as you said).

Cheers,

Shark.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:20 AM

4 posts, read 18,412 times
Default Moving to Rochester

Can anyone help and tell me about the safety of the Upper Monroe NEighborhhod....specifically Laburnum Crescent???

Old 06-10-2008, 05:24 AM

470 posts, read 595,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Shark View Post
Thanks for the speedy response shibainu, I can't find Alexandria Street on the map, only Alexander St - is this the one to avoid (and in towards the city from there as you said).

Cheers,

Shark.
Yes, it's Alexander

Old 06-10-2008, 08:55 AM

897 posts, read 2,457,120 times
Well maybe my area is turning a little bad now. My car was broken into last night and their are people on the street trying to sell you stuff. Their are also people asking for money on the street. We have not had these problems in a long time...It must be the lead or the weather.....oh yeah it is alexander..my bad

Old 06-10-2008, 05:50 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
Something else to consider is that they are getting rid of that housing project on Mt. Hope. Lots of people call it "little somalia". With that gone, it should make the neighborhood better. They are going to knock most of it down and replace it with nicer housing.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:20 PM

944 posts, read 3,846,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
My car was broken into last night
Be honest, did you have any items in plain view? When I lived downtown I had friends that had cars broken into, but they left CD's, change and whatnot on their seats. No matter where I've lived, there is nothing in my car to take but floormats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area