Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 08:28 AM

93,710 posts, read 124,432,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alw1964 View Post
Factoring schools into the equation I would go with Spencerport over Gates. Spencerport has excellent schools. Make sure you look at taxes when you're looking at home prices. While base home prices are quite affordable taxes in NY are high (unless you're already elsewhere in New York and already know that). I would search on Spencerport schools because you could live in Greece or Gates (as I think someone mentioned before but still be in Spencerport schools) I have friends that located from the city of Rochester to Greece (spencerport schools) a few years back and are very happy. Having grown up on the westside (Churchville-Chili) many of my classmates stayed on the westside but have kids in Spencerport schools and have been very pleased with the education their children have/are received/receiving.

There is an Itlalian American Center on the westside Here is the link (I think it says "Home" because it's the homepage for the organization) Home you may want to check this out.

Good Luck

And I'm Irish "but some of my best friends are Italian"
Interestingly, the Italian American Center is in Gates and is in a part of the town that is very close to the Spencerport SD. So, it may be a win-win for the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 12:47 PM

69 posts, read 147,250 times
Thank You again to everyone. There appears to be a consistent theme among all those who have replied, and this information was extremely valuable to my wife and I. I cannot than you enough. Grazie a tutti.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:26 PM

97 posts, read 201,357 times
I don't know about the Rochester area, but the city of Utica has an enormous and hugely influential Italian-American population.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:06 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,109,901 times
The Town of Greece was made for you -- off Long Pond Road.

Try Marland Shores Subdivision -- Lowden Point Road or Shoreway Drive.

East Rochester is boring.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:02 AM

93,710 posts, read 124,432,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilmara View Post
I don't know about the Rochester area, but the city of Utica has an enormous and hugely influential Italian-American population.
Pretty much any metro in Upstate NY will have an area with a high Italian concentration. In the Utica area, it is much of East Utia and Frankfort in Herkimer County. In Syracuse, parts of the North Side still does, as well as Solvay and Lyncourt in the Town of Salina(both go to Solvay High too). There are others as well.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:06 AM

1,891 posts, read 3,458,398 times
Don't forget Chili, lots of Italians there.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:17 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,109,901 times
In the town of Greece, 27.1 percent of the population has Italian ancestry:

https://www.city-data.com/races/races...-New-York.html

It's a much bigger town than East Rochester or Spencerport, too.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:25 AM

70 posts, read 126,076 times
Where are you coming from?? Rochester area has a lot of Italian - Americans. I second everyone recommending West Side suburbs. Lots of Italian Americans, good schools, more affordable than the East Suburbs. I second the person who recommended Spencerport.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:35 PM

69 posts, read 147,250 times
In response to "thedisciple", my wife and her family are originally from Connecticut, by way of Brooklyn. I have moved around quite a bit; Boston, Philadelphia, Vermont, New Jersey, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, and a few overseas locations. Thus, while I have visited Rochester quite a few times for business purposes, neither myself or my wife know the city well enough to make responsible decisions regarding demographics, school systems, property taxes, crime rates, etc etc etc.

It seems as though quite a few people tend to feel good about the "Spencerport School District".

Old 11-16-2012, 12:47 AM

70 posts, read 126,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeluzzo View Post
In response to "thedisciple", my wife and her family are originally from Connecticut, by way of Brooklyn. I have moved around quite a bit; Boston, Philadelphia, Vermont, New Jersey, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, and a few overseas locations. Thus, while I have visited Rochester quite a few times for business purposes, neither myself or my wife know the city well enough to make responsible decisions regarding demographics, school systems, property taxes, crime rates, etc etc etc.

It seems as though quite a few people tend to feel good about the "Spencerport School District".
Yes, given the criteria you listed, Spencerport would be a good bet. Rochester is very Italian so if that is important you will feel quite comfortable. And by "Italian" I mean Italian-American not necessarilty from Italy. There are lots of good Italian restaurants/Delis/Social Clubs etc. etc.

The very best schools are in the Eastern suburbs like Pittsford and Brighton. But those areas are pricey and are less Italian in feel.

Overall Spencerport seems to be the best option. You should also look into Greece, Gates, and Chili.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area