Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What areas should we NOT look to live in, in the Rochester Area?
Central City / 19th Ward 9 60.00%
Charlotte 2 13.33%
Susan B. Anthony 7 46.67%
ANYWHERE inside the city is no good!! 5 33.33%
East Rochester 1 6.67%
Western Suburbs 1 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 08:00 AM

350 posts, read 1,091,804 times

Advertisements

One more comment, I would not consider west Webster distant from the city. From the Bay Road area, you can be on Rt 104 in minutes and then well into the city within 10-15 minutes depending on where you are going. I commute into the city for work from west Webster and it only takes me 15 minutes to get to work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 10:37 PM

525 posts, read 1,829,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy1 View Post
One more comment, I would not consider west Webster distant from the city. From the Bay Road area, you can be on Rt 104 in minutes and then well into the city within 10-15 minutes depending on where you are going. I commute into the city for work from west Webster and it only takes me 15 minutes to get to work!
By car. I bet it takes a lot longer by bus, especially to get anywhere worth going in the city (read: anywhere not in the northern parts of Rochester). Actually, I am surprised it only takes you 15 minutes, I live off of 590 and it takes me 15 minutes to get to 490 alone during rush hour, let alone crossing the Bay Bridge as well (of course unless you live further south near Empire).

Old 10-05-2007, 04:19 PM

803 posts, read 2,972,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochacha View Post
By car. I bet it takes a lot longer by bus, especially to get anywhere worth going in the city (read: anywhere not in the northern parts of Rochester). Actually, I am surprised it only takes you 15 minutes, I live off of 590 and it takes me 15 minutes to get to 490 alone during rush hour, let alone crossing the Bay Bridge as well (of course unless you live further south near Empire).

So, is that to say that staying in the SOUTHERN and EASTERN areas of Rochester (city) would be the better options?

Last edited by By~Tor; 10-05-2007 at 04:39 PM..

Old 10-05-2007, 04:44 PM

Smile Rochester-area Relocation Advice

I'm still looking for more input from Rochester-area locals, about where are the best places to move to in the area, if what I'm looking for are the following:

* Cheap Housing (between $60 - 120K).. Older houses, okay.

* Safe Neighborhoods / LOW crime rate

* Close to Public Transportation and Highways / Downtown access

* GREAT Supermarkets for shopping for gourmet cooking items...

* Decent nightlife in local pubs / musicians

* Easy bike access from house to Lake area

We are moving from NYC to the area in 2008-09, and I'm trying to do some advance work on where I should be looking...and more importantly, where I should NOT be looking!

All input is appreciated....and if you have any questions about the NYC area, I'll be happy to oblige, if I can...

Thanks!

Old 10-05-2007, 05:57 PM

22 posts, read 73,209 times
Greetings. I am currently in a similar position to you, except with the experience of having gone to college in the Rochester area and many frequent visits since. I am about to move to the area (in the next couple of weeks), and am looking for many of the same things. Here's what I can ascertain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by By~Tor View Post
I'm still looking for more input from Rochester-area locals, about where are the best places to move to in the area, if what I'm looking for are the following:

* Cheap Housing (between $60 - 120K).. Older houses, okay. (Lots of that there, but take taxes into account, since it still is NY)

* Safe Neighborhoods / LOW crime rate A bit tricky, but a lot of neighborhoods in the SE

* Close to Public Transportation and Highways / Downtown access Once again East End is good

* GREAT Supermarkets for shopping for gourmet cooking items... WEGMANS, need I say more

* Decent nightlife in local pubs / musicians Most of the good clubs are in the East End/Park Avenue area

* Easy bike access from house to Lake area That might a bit tricky, since downtown is about 8-9 miles from the lake

We are moving from NYC to the area in 2008-09, and I'm trying to do some advance work on where I should be looking...and more importantly, where I should NOT be looking!

All input is appreciated....and if you have any questions about the NYC area, I'll be happy to oblige, if I can...

Thanks!

Old 10-05-2007, 06:01 PM

That would be about right. A more affordable option than Southwedge is Swillburg, the next neighborhood to the south, but still well within the city.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whit_x View Post
That would be about right. A more affordable option than Southwedge is Swillburg, the next neighborhood to the south, but still well within the city.
okay.... "Swillburg".. this is a neighborhood, and not a city of its own, correct?

How far a commute is that to the City Center or the water?

Old 10-07-2007, 07:25 AM

Thanks, Whit... I'll print out these and take it with me on our trip up there later this month!

Any other Rochesterites (Or, is that "Ruh-cha-chans"??) have ideas or input on what to look for when moving to Rochester?

Old 10-07-2007, 07:49 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,725,614 times
Cheap housing - North Winton Village and other southeastern neighborhoods of the city. South Wedge also. Greece, Gates, Irondequoit, Chili for suburbs. All safe.

Close to public transportation/downtown- All of those places would be by bus routes depending on where you chose to buy a house.

Supermarkets- Wegmans. On Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays there is the public market in the city. You can get lots of great food for cheap.

Nightlife- East end hand lots of clubs/bars/restaurants. Caters to a wide range of people. The south wedge has a good amount of bars and restaurants. Caters to more of a "hipster" crowed. St. Paul quarter has some clubs. Caters to "urban" type people. Monroe ave has lots of bars and restaurants. More of a relaxed atmosphere.
Bike access to lake. The lake is kinda far from downtown so you cant get the best of both worlds. If you live in the northern parts of Greece or Irondequoit you could find a place closer to the lake.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:14 AM

It is another neighborhood, but in the city. Probably a 2-5 minute drive from downtown and about 25 minute walk from downtown. The lake is quite a bit away from downtown or the close to downtown neighborhoods (FYI the only part of the city that is near the lake is Charlotte, but that is about a 15-20 minute drive from downtown).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area