Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 03:30 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,325,989 times

Advertisements

Looks like what we've known for a long time is now official.

Kodak Files For Chapter 11 Bankruptcy - Rochester, News, Weather, Sports, and Events - 13WHAM.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 03:49 PM

466 posts, read 982,661 times
I hope this is one of the first steps towards Kodak turning their fortunes around.

It's sad, especially in a symbolic way. But at least this didn't happen when the company employed 60,000 people in town.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:14 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
I agree...Kodak's bankruptcy is sad for sentimental reasons all across the country and especially in Rochester to be sure; but it certainly is not the ominous sign for the area's economy that it would have been 20 or 30 years ago. Rochester can and will survive no matter what the future may hold for Eastman Kodak. As many of the articles on the subject have mentioned lately; Kodak's downfall has been slow and gradual. And while some may argue that that is more "painful" and damaging to the region's economy than a sudden collapse would have been (like what happened to Pittsburgh and Buffalo after the steel industry and most of the cities in Michigan with the collapse of the US Auto industry) that's simply not true. The gradual shrinking of Kodak has made it so that laid-off workers have in large part been able to stay in the region and either bring the talents and innovation they picked up at Kodak to other local companies or start up their own right here. Think about it....Kodak employs 55,000 less people in Rochester now than it did in the early 1980's, but there are at least 100k more jobs here now than there were then. Again, a sad day for sure. But even if this bankruptcy means the end of prosperity for Kodak, it certainly doesn't mean the end of prosperity for Rochester.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:26 AM

120 posts, read 340,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
I agree...Kodak's bankruptcy is sad for sentimental reasons all across the country and especially in Rochester to be sure; but it certainly is not the ominous sign for the area's economy that it would have been 20 or 30 years ago. Rochester can and will survive no matter what the future may hold for Eastman Kodak. As many of the articles on the subject have mentioned lately; Kodak's downfall has been slow and gradual. And while some may argue that that is more "painful" and damaging to the region's economy than a sudden collapse would have been (like what happened to Pittsburgh and Buffalo after the steel industry and most of the cities in Michigan with the collapse of the US Auto industry) that's simply not true. The gradual shrinking of Kodak has made it so that laid-off workers have in large part been able to stay in the region and either bring the talents and innovation they picked up at Kodak to other local companies or start up their own right here. Think about it....Kodak employs 55,000 less people in Rochester now than it did in the early 1980's, but there are at least 100k more jobs here now than there were then. Again, a sad day for sure. But even if this bankruptcy means the end of prosperity for Kodak, it certainly doesn't mean the end of prosperity for Rochester.
Ditto to the above.

The rochester area is what is today in large part to George Eastman, Gleason and Harris as well as other companies long gone from Rochester. Because of the foundation laid in the late 1800's and early 1900's by many we are what we are because of that. The area has many great minds and many small thriving businesses. We have two great universities in RIT and UofR and many very strong small colleges. So while it is sad that Kodak is in bankruptcy it is a reflection of the times. Fortunatlely the business community of Rochester has been moving along with the times. There may not be 2 or 3 big companies but there are several very strong small businesses.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:16 AM

Indeed....the fact that Rochester accounts for over half of the job creation in NYS outside of the New York City metro area speaks to that as well!

Old 01-21-2012, 08:42 AM

205 posts, read 456,576 times
I'm not that concerned for overall economic stability in Rochester. I do have concern for the retirees...

Mostly symbolic really.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:52 PM

240 posts, read 557,989 times
It's just sad because being an American, and a Rochesterian(sp?) specifically, Kodak has been an iconic part of my life. All my baby pictures were taken with kodak cameras on kodak film. My first museum was the George Eastman house.

But you're all right, it's mostly symbolically sad. Sad none the less.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:54 PM

810 posts, read 1,449,978 times
Best headline so far: Kodak Shutters its Camera Business (Wall Street Journal)

Still, I have a bit of a troubled feeling about Kodak deciding that its best bet in the future paperless world is with printers....

S

Old 02-11-2012, 02:06 PM

I'm also surprised that they are getting out of the digital camera business...their easyshare line is very popular. I don't think that focusing on printers is a bad idea though...because the focus is on photo-printers. People do still like to have hard copies of their pictures.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:47 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,325,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
I'm also surprised that they are getting out of the digital camera business...their easyshare line is very popular. I don't think that focusing on printers is a bad idea though...because the focus is on photo-printers. People do still like to have hard copies of their pictures.
Yeah the camera thing I really don't understand. Wasn't that by far their largest business (save for Hollywood film, maybe).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area