Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 11:22 PM

4 posts, read 20,709 times

Advertisements

For everyone who posts on here about moving to Upstate NY or any region of NY in General... I ask... why? I live and have lived in Newark in Wayne County, Upstate NY for the past 7 years and it has just gotten awful. All the drugs and violence have come over from Rochester, which is so close to us. And NY in General is just awful, the crime is always going up, the taxes, oh my God the taxes, especially in Upstate they are awful! So a warning to you all who want to move to NY... think about your decision first, I myself am hopefully going to New Hampshire or Vermont soon, so maybe somewhere in the New England States or somewhere in the Carolinas would be better than here? Anyway, not trying to start a fight with any "Proud NY'ers", just trying to seriously warn all out-of-staters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 04:30 AM

124 posts, read 641,549 times
JackT:

Despite what you've experienced in Newark, most of upstate NY is wonderful to live in! That is why you've seen so many positive posts extolling its many virtues. You mention moving to VT or NH as an alternative. Do you realize that VT's crime rate is nearly double that of the rural areas of NYS? Do a google search. Ask a resident of Burlington VT what crime is like there. VT also has high taxes. It has high rents and high home prices relative to the low wages that Vermonters earn. Sure NYS taxes are insanely high, but in many areas the home prices and rents are more in line with what people earn. Let's face it. Both states are not the low tax, low housing cost panaceas that we wish they were. VT is lovely and has many spiffy-looking villages; moreso than does NYS. Have you considered the beautiful, peaceful Adirondacks? They have what VT has and they have cheaper housing costs and more green forests and lakes to boot. NH is much more populated than VT or upstate NY. It is much more expensive too, especially near the Manchester/Nashua area. It is a politically conservative state, if that makes a difference to you. NH also has a faster-paced style of life that comes in part from the nearness to the Boston Metro area. NH has the "urban attitude" that you won't find in rural upstate NY or, VT for that matter.

Just things for you to consider.......

Peace!

Pidgett

Old 08-12-2007, 04:45 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,081,286 times
Pidgett's statement is accurate except for one thing. While southern NH is fairly well populated and more or less a large bedroom community to the Boston metro area, the northern half of NH is still largely unsettled and very rural in nature. Only a handful of small towns like Berlin and Conway or Littleton are mixed in with a few tiny villages.

As a native New Englander I can tell you that you will find much of the same crime and high taxes found in NY also in many of the small cities and towns in New England. The crime and gang problem now seems to exist in much of rural America no matter where you are. And housing prices are MUCH higher in New England than most of New York state.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:07 AM

20 posts, read 77,377 times
Considering the Carolinas?
SC--has much lower taxes than NC. Was going to be my next move from NC but decided to move to Niagara Falls NY area for personal reasons in Oct.

NC--Mecklenburg County hit me with a personal property tax on my vehicle $375 (state tax) and upon registration of my vehicle $150 highway utility tax (HUT). Moved here in Oct 2006 and taxed in the same year. Required to register car within 30 days. Largest county in NC. Of other counties, I hear taxation is milder, but water issues...not sure what they are. SC doesn't have that personal property tax on vehicle. Personal property tax on my car...what is it a mobile home. Geez!
Traffic horrendous. People--Southern charm and hospitality. Beautiful flowering trees in the spring. One of the worst pollen areas, too. Was amazed at the layer of pollen (yellow-greenish) that gets all over your car and anything outdoors, including you. Allergy sufferers beware.
Coming from Chicago, NC felt good in Oct...beautiful landscape, hilly. If a layer of snow falls, I mean dusting of snow, the city shuts down...no school, work. I hear because of hills, poor drivers, and because it's not a snow place, the city can't respond to snow cleanup. Snow was gone by late morning.
Postal and DMV facilities - Many are privately operated outlets, and not the government run facility other states are accustomed to.
Beautiful landscape. Breathtaking and comforting. Some of the most beautiful foliage I have ever seen in my lifetime! Appreciated that very much! NC-loved it, hated it. Glad I experienced it. Research the unknown and the important in areas considering relocating to. I only research homes in NC. I'm from the hood and just have that connection and want to see where my peeps are and what they're up to. Hoods here like all heavy police traffic, rarity to see foliage, a bit depressing. Did my drive by check out and got the hell out of there. Still a girl from the hood. More than a place I experienced, imparted in my person with a bit of a smile. Will always appreciate the good and bad of the hood.
Appreciated NC for almost 1 yr. Now, my time is up and time to move upstate for 2 yrs. We empty nesters can move about freely. 42 has it's advantages. Halleluah!

Last edited by Mmonique; 08-12-2007 at 08:26 AM..

Old 08-12-2007, 08:21 AM

20 posts, read 77,377 times
By the way, New England VT ME are getting new jobs because of a communications (Verizon) merger. My head hunter told me about it.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:45 AM

897 posts, read 2,457,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackT View Post
For everyone who posts on here about moving to Upstate NY or any region of NY in General... I ask... why? I live and have lived in Newark in Wayne County, Upstate NY for the past 7 years and it has just gotten awful. All the drugs and violence have come over from Rochester, which is so close to us. And NY in General is just awful, the crime is always going up, the taxes, oh my God the taxes, especially in Upstate they are awful! So a warning to you all who want to move to NY... think about your decision first, I myself am hopefully going to New Hampshire or Vermont soon, so maybe somewhere in the New England States or somewhere in the Carolinas would be better than here? Anyway, not trying to start a fight with any "Proud NY'ers", just trying to seriously warn all out-of-staters.
I agree that Ny is had a hard time recovering from the last recession. I believe that if this area is not working for you some where else will. Also If upstate New York is in trouble now how will they deal when this economy that we have right now in America when goes in to a recession. In history people migrate with the jobs because it is part of survival and as you see that there was a boom in the south because the manufactory jobs left the rust belt and moved to the Sunbelt.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:37 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,586,180 times
Because it's home......and my nephew lives in Macedon, right next to Newark....never heard him complain of any drug or gang problems at all....that actually made me laugh out loud, that you were upset about such violence and durgs in Newark...maybe Newark, NJ....or "the crescent" in the city of Rochester.

Old 08-12-2007, 02:43 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,899,964 times
Quote:
. And NY in General is just awful, the crime is always going up, the taxes, oh my God the taxes, especially in Upstate they are awful!
You will find similar comments posted on every state forum here.

Anyway, why am I moving to Upstate New York as an out-of-stater? Well, it isn't because I wasn't warned...constantly...about high taxes and the economy in flux. The first I really don't care about in all honesty and my husband is German, so anything is cheap in the tax department.

The second, that is true. Also the fact that there is no real job creation is a bit unsettling, however, pouring over the want ads for the past 9 months, there are more than enough jobs in basically all the areas my husband and I want to work in that it isn't that much of a deterrant. We were really looking into Western Michigan at first, but it just wasn't offering the work for us, so got crossed off the list.

The why is mostly Lake Ontario, the proximity to Canada, the abundance of local and state parks, the similar COL and unemployment rates to Indianapolis, the more compact nature of Rochester compared to Indianapolis with about the same population.

You should research very carefully where you want to move before you move there. I have been researching this one for nearly a year and will be moving out there in the next six months.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:19 PM

4 posts, read 20,709 times
Hmm, yes indeed N.H. in the Manchester/Nashua area are not as they once were, a large chunk of my family live in the Nashua/Hudson area and they say the Tree Streets in particular are awful now-a-days... and yes, I know taxes are high everywhere but, I don't know, I guess from being born and raised in NY I'm just sick of it, and to someone who said there is no drug problems in Wayne County/Newark, did you ever stop to pick up a newspaper? Did you not hear of the drug bust recently in which many, over 15, residents of Lyons as well as Newark were arrested, and the fact that even our own Police Dept. has a drug problem? Wayne County is awful, all the scum from Rochester is coming over, all I'm saying is NYS in general is just awful, that's just my opinion, just trying to warn people before they think it's all great over here, we don't have much to offer, like I said, the New England States are still a much better choice than here, regardless of what anyone says. V.T., N.H., and even Mass. are home to some of the most beautiful sceneries, much better than you would find here in NYS.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:46 AM

124 posts, read 641,549 times
JackT:

Forgive me, and I mean no disrespect, but why do you say that the scenery in NYS is not as good as VT NH or MA? That is not a statement of fact; it is merely an opinion of yours (and one borne of ignorance) because if you were to travel the five corners of NYS, you would say otherwise. Have you ever been to the Adirondacks? Ever seen the Hudson Valley? Have you driven through the Catskills? Ever go through the Finger Lakes? Have you been up to the Thousand Islands? Have you seen Lake Champlain? Been to Lake George? Montauk Point? Alleghany State Park? Letchworth Gorge? Watkins Glen? Ithaca? Saratoga Springs? Lake Placid? The Tug Hill plateau? Chattaqua? Been to the Long Island Pine Barrens? Ever been to Canandaigua? Skaneateles? Chatham? Canaan? Washington County? I could go on, and apologize for not including other areas, but I don't want to belabor the point. Bottom line? NYS, with the possible exception of the not-so-scenic parts of the Bronx, parts of Buffalo, Utica and other old cities, is just as beautiful as New England, and, it can be rightly argued, even more so in some locales!

As far as what you've said about a drug and a gang problem in your town....I would have to agree with what "i'minformed" said about Newark, New Jersey being the REAL drug and crime city vs small-town Newark NY. On the other hand, I believe you that there is such a problem as you described. But for you to "warn" other posters who may be potentially looking into coming to NYS to stay away just begged my response as presented herein as a counterbalance. In addition, I am going to go out on a limb and assume you are very young due to the style of your writing and the subject matter that concerns you in your town. It seems to me that there is all too often a tainted perception of where we live when we are young and are not well-travelled. Your post conveys a sense of a limited viewpoint. You're bitter about the things you've seen in your small town. I would be too. But I would, at the earliest convenience, leave! I would travel a bit. I first would see the rest of New York State before I would lump all of it as being the same as it is in Newark NY (or other parts of Wayne County). You would no doubt benefit from a change of place, a change of space. Get out and see what a beautiful state we are in....New York State!

Best,

Pidgett
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area