Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2010, 10:57 PM

161 posts, read 489,382 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I would like some helpful info on a situation. I have an elderly relative who owns a decent home in the city near St Paul on one of the "letter" streets (not a good area). Couple of months ago, she moved out of state, planned to sell it and house has been unoccupied. Recently, it was broken into and it's in terrible shape now (plumbing gone, damage to walls, etc.). No money to fix it up and wants to get rid of it asap. No one in the family wants it. No mortgage on it either and wants to cancel home insurance.

Can she sell or give up house to city as-is? How can she just be rid of the house?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 10:58 PM

99 posts, read 228,161 times
Has an insurance claim been made for the recently-suffered vandalism? I would check the policy as it may provide the funds for a fix-up.

I would put an ad on craigslist for free house provided buyer pays all closing costs and transfer taxes. Also, I would check with the City of Rochester to see if they have a policy on voluntarily accepting abandoned properties. Your relative could always stop paying taxes and wait for the city to claim the house through the tax sale process which I understand is at least two years. Also, make sure you contact the city to terminate the water service as they are not very good about doing this on their own.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:14 AM

702 posts, read 2,186,153 times
I agree with doggz, the only thing I can add is to look for an area investor. I would be leery of whom craigslist would attract if you post for a free house.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,669 times
File insurance claim to get it fixed up.
Sell it through a real realtor - even if you have to price it low and offer commissions higher than normal..you need a legit sale and people who know what they are doing.
I do not think craigslist is a good idea.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:34 AM

528 posts, read 1,185,622 times
wow i'd pick it up if the house was in a safer neighborhood...

Old 11-24-2010, 07:58 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,279 times
If it were in a safer neighborhood, this conversation probably wouldn't exist because the house would have been put up on the market and followed normal real estate procedures

Old 11-30-2010, 09:34 PM

99 posts, read 228,161 times
Any luck?

Old 12-03-2010, 11:19 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,099,752 times
No one wants to live there.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:24 PM

161 posts, read 489,382 times
Default Need to sell a house

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggz View Post
Any luck?
One of my in-laws says they want the house but they are not sure yet. That person lives in Rochester but the rest of us have all moved away from Rochester to different states. The owner of the house is elderly, has moved down south and doesn't want the house anymore. The house will be repaired from the recent break in and will be monitored.

I just hope things get squared away for her soon, that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
View detailed profiles of: