Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 04:46 PM

6 posts, read 24,712 times

Advertisements

Looking at a house in Vinton, anybody live there? and what do you likes and dislike?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 08:05 AM

1 posts, read 3,105 times
I have been living in Vinton for 12 years. I would never live in another place (if I can help it). The Town of Vinton is very clean. Majority of the people there are seniors, a lot older than myself, I'm 31, but still love it. I am within walking distance from the police station & live next door to a Sgt on the police force. Great place for kids, if you have any. You would not be dissapointed if you moved to Vinton. Good Luck!

Old 06-19-2007, 03:56 PM

4 posts, read 10,154 times
If you have children I would highly reccomend checking the family watchdog website for sex offenders. There is a lot in Vinton for it being such a small town. Boones mill, Hardy, Rocky mount and moneta are much safer.
Becky

Old 06-20-2007, 05:04 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,188,010 times
Vinton is a nice little town. I haven't lived there so I can't be as helpful as hrvineyard. When we first moved to Boones Mill in '05 and were settling into our horse farm, we fed Purina grains and Holdren's Country Store in Vinton was the closest supplier. One thing that I noticed was that it was hard to travel between Vinton and Roanoke because of a lack of limited access highways. It was a whole lot of stop and go, and driving through 25mph zones. It would take me 45 minutes to get into Vinton from Boones Mill. So it might be helpful to know how long it would take to drive from the heart of Vinton to downtown Roanoke, as a sort of reference when looking into other towns.

Sean

Old 06-20-2007, 04:52 PM

Thank you so much for all the great info.

I did notice that there is a Vinton in Bedford County and then there is Vinton (Garden City) Roanoke County.

What is the difference? And how do they split up the towns like that?
The house I am looking at is extremly close to Stewartsville.

Thank you once again :-)

Old 06-20-2007, 11:30 PM

97 posts, read 616,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguine74 View Post
Thank you so much for all the great info.

I did notice that there is a Vinton in Bedford County and then there is Vinton (Garden City) Roanoke County.

What is the difference? And how do they split up the towns like that?
The house I am looking at is extremly close to Stewartsville.

Thank you once again :-)
Vinton is definately NOT Garden City! It is about 10 miles NE of it and Mt. Pleasant. Garden City is in Roanoke City, and both Mt. Pleasant and Vinton are in Roanoke co. Both go to William Byrd, pretty good school but the drive from mt. pleasant to Vinton is 15 min. Vinton to downtown Roanoke is 10 min. Vinton & Roanoke co. end just past the parkway on rt. 24 and then becomes bedford and Stewartsville. Its a nice area to live and the HS is Stanton River. 20 min.to downtown and minutes to SML.

Good luck

Old 06-21-2007, 08:51 AM

I guess maybe that is just how the real estate lists it. Although it does have a Vinton mailing address. I guess I'll figure some of this out when I am there in 2 WEEKS. I am very excited :-)

Old 06-21-2007, 09:21 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,188,010 times
Garden City is a diverse area in Roanoke. Two parts country, one part suburb. One part trailer parks, one part brick ranches, one part old farmhouses, and lately one part upscale gated community. You'll get it all in Garden City. And Garden City is just dead painless to commute into Roanoke from. Just an easy drive on Route 116 from the Garden City area and you find yourself on Yellow Mountain Road right next to the rapidly expanding Carilion 28 acre biotech medical park. Hence the emerging gated communities. Surgeons who are on call are loving the 5 minute commute to the hospital. And plus they're building a Super Walmart on Route 220 just south of the parkway entrance which again is minutes from Garden City. And a new Target is going into where the current Walmart is. And you've got Lowes and the brand new Home Depot right there, plus a load of other shops and box stores. I heard Starbucks is going into the new Home Depot development. Yum. We like Starbucks.

I've got a friend who owns some acreage and a small horse farm in Garden City. I hope she hangs on to it, I think it will appreciate well above the pace of other Roanoke City/County real estate. Of course, about 12 years ago she sold her house and land on Smith Mountain Lake and missed the big boom over there (ouch!). So selling her Garden City property now wouldn't be out of character

Sean

Old 07-02-2007, 04:46 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,888,257 times
Default Vinton

Vinton is a small town in eastern Roanoke County. I can never understand why the town exists at all. Whenever it is mentioned that one lives in Vinton, many people laugh. It has a compact, small "downtown". The funeral home and war memorial seem to be the most prominent structures. Anyway, to many it has a "homey" Mayberry type feel. They have a Dogwood Festival every year and its always the same ol' thing. Oddly enough, a new Thai restaurant opened in the middle of town and I can't see Andy, Opie and Aunt Bee eating Sunday dinner.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:19 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaga View Post
If you have children I would highly reccomend checking the family watchdog website for sex offenders. There is a lot in Vinton for it being such a small town. Boones mill, Hardy, Rocky mount and moneta are much safer.
Becky

I noticed recently that www.city-data.com lists all the sex offenders in a particular area, a great thing. Just like the family watchdog, one can click on the name and see the photo, offenses, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area