Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2008, 06:30 PM

6 posts, read 20,758 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if other teachers/parents could provide a pro and con of the Roanoke City Public Schools System and/or if Roanoke Residents could tell me what they think the area between 581 and Vinton...above the Roanoke River is like.
Additionally, if anyone commutes from Blacksburg to Roanoke I am interested in knowing about how long the commute is and expected traffic on 581/81 at 8:00am and 4pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 08:47 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,898,609 times
Although I live in the City I don't know much about the Roanoke City Schools. Most of the respondents I'm sure will tell you to look at the County Schools. After all, why did many of these folks move to the County anyway but to get their kids out of the City Schools? The City Schools are more racially and economically diverse with higher drop-out rates. The big minus is of course they do not have cappucino makers in the lunch room. The more aflluent areas do have better schools and apparently better teachers. Thats a fact today in public education everywhere.
The commute from Roanoke to Blacksburg takes about 45 minutes. Its still only 2 lanes in each direction. Personally, I would never commute on this truck dominated highway. The Good News is that there is a Smart Bus, operated by the City which provides commuter service from Roanoke to Blacksburg.
The areas that you refer to toward Vinton is generally "middle class" if there is such a designation anymore and I am sure many respondents will tell you to stay away from Vinton. There is just something not "chic" about the word
Vinton I guess.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:22 AM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,666,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher1812 View Post
I was wondering if other teachers/parents could provide a pro and con of the Roanoke City Public Schools System and/or if Roanoke Residents could tell me what they think the area between 581 and Vinton...above the Roanoke River is like.
Additionally, if anyone commutes from Blacksburg to Roanoke I am interested in knowing about how long the commute is and expected traffic on 581/81 at 8:00am and 4pm.
the area east of 581, north of the river, and before you hit Vinton, is the 'Belmont' section of Roanoke. Like much of Roanoke, it's good and not-so-good...depending on the block, the street, the side of the street, etc. Seriously...nice, well-kept homes next to ones that are seemingly ready to fall down.
I know someone that commutes from Vinton to Radford for work...I think he said @ 50-55 minutes.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:06 PM

4 posts, read 38,692 times
Why don't you live in Christiansburg? The community offers lower housing price than blacksburg and it would cut your trip to Roanoke to 30 minutes which is more do-able than 45 minutes I would say.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:26 AM

823 posts, read 3,926,958 times
I'd take the SmartBus if I had to commute to Roanoke.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 4,738 times
pLEAse avoid Roanoke city schools-- they are terrible. I should know-- several of my friends and I have sued them. It's a mess. Roanoke County is very well run.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:35 PM

6 posts, read 20,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ednick View Post
pLEAse avoid Roanoke city schools-- they are terrible. I should know-- several of my friends and I have sued them. It's a mess. Roanoke County is very well run.
Well I can tell you, I took a position working for the Roanoke City Schools, working as a classroom teacher somewhere in the district. I decided not to do a commute from Blacksburg this year, so I live in the city.
I am curious to know why you and your friends sued the district? When was it? Does a public record exist on your type of lawsuit? Could you back up your claim with facts or some type of story? I also think comparing Roanoke City to Roanoke County is comparing apples to oranges. I think your level of analysis may be off, and ought to consider comparing city schools against city schools and county schools with county schools. Rather than a simplistic one-dimensional analysis of city vs county, which I think is analogous of comparing McDonalds to Bank of America, sure they are both in business to profit but the market niches they serve are different as are the industries they represent. Likewise, City and County schools are both designed for education but have different student population representation.
Also, while I agree with you that Roanoke City has its challenges and parts of the system remain chaotic, Roanoke City Schools is much better run than other city school systems in the state.
One last point, remember Media outlets have a bias towards negitative news reporting and will report mostly on the negitative news that comes out of schools. With that said, each time you DO NOT HEAR about the roanoke schools in a negative light means that the schools are doing their job (the degree to which is debatable, of course...but children are being educated, learning is taking place and a classroom community is working).

Old 10-03-2008, 06:55 PM

246 posts, read 783,703 times
I get so tired of people bashing the city schools. Just stay the hell out in the county with the rest of the Caucasians, drive your SUVs, take the twins to soccer practice, and vote for McCain already.

Grumble grumble grumble...

Old 10-08-2008, 06:59 PM

10 posts, read 45,861 times
Quote:
Just stay the hell out in the county with the rest of the Caucasians, drive your SUVs, take the twins to soccer practice, and vote for McCain already.
Ah, so the county is where caucasians live. Thanks for the tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area