Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2019, 01:30 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,677,766 times

Advertisements

Was pleasantly surprised to see this in the news today: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other...Gpy7C#image=47

Not sure how they determined these cities. I was surprised to see New York, Philadelphia, then smaller cities like Burlington, VT and Lynchburg, VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 02:55 PM

509 posts, read 433,618 times
Despite how much I like to boost my little city and the growth currently happening here, I am baffled by some of the cities on this list (Baltimore, St. Paul, New York, Philly, etc) as there are definitely cities with higher wage, median income, housing value, job, and population growth than those in each ones respective state. You could honestly say places like Harrisonburg, Richmond, Charlottesville, and Fredericksburg are experiencing a similar level of growth as Lynchburg or more. A lot of cities that were red hot in the last 20 years (Seattle, Austin, Boise, Denver), of which some are on this list, are showing signs of a major slowdown in growth the past few years as they become increasingly congested and unaffordable to the average person (Austin barely grew last year according to Census Estimates). I would rank Fort Collins, Greeley, and Colorado Springs ahead of Denver for example. I would like to delve into the methodology they used. No doubt Lynchburg is growing at an increasing rate though and I am glad it is starting to get some recognition for it. Downtown especially has come a very long way in the past seven years (according to my estimate downtown Lynchburgs population has grown about 250% since 2010 from 400 to 1,400). The city as a whole has grown by 17,000 people the past 18 years, but I believe half of that growth has come from the student body expansion at LU and job growth has actually been pretty slow here compared to population growth.

Last edited by dbcook1; 08-29-2019 at 03:09 PM..

Old 08-29-2019, 04:53 PM

6,361 posts, read 4,187,402 times
Agreed and you need to take those lists with a grain of salt since they are using contradictory depending on the source and motivation.

I did a double take after seeing Baltimore, New York and New Jersey on the list. I see those same cities on lists for being recognized as cities where residents are leaving in droves.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:10 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,061,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Agreed and you need to take those lists with a grain of salt since they are using contradictory depending on the source and motivation.

I did a double take after seeing Baltimore, New York and New Jersey on the list. I see those same cities on lists for being recognized as cities where residents are leaving in droves.
HA seems to me that NYC has been overlooked for way too long!

Old 09-03-2019, 09:28 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,677,766 times
I guess if you were to say which city in Southwest VA had the best chance of "booming" (if you can even call it that), then I'd probably go with Lynchburg. But yeah I would have thought some suburb of DC would have been the chosen one for VA. Or even Richmond since it's the state capital.

Old 09-04-2019, 04:47 AM

6,361 posts, read 4,187,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
I guess if you were to say which city in Southwest VA had the best chance of "booming" (if you can even call it that), then I'd probably go with Lynchburg. But yeah I would have thought some suburb of DC would have been the chosen one for VA. Or even Richmond since it's the state capital.
I believe Winchester is listed as the Leading City for overall growth in Virginia by 27/7 Wall St.

Old 09-06-2019, 12:26 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
I believe Winchester is listed as the Leading City for overall growth in Virginia by 27/7 Wall St.
I love Winchester! I used to "retreat" there as many weekends as possible to escape the madness of my daily life in Fairfax County when I lived there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area