Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2008, 08:14 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,869,855 times

Advertisements

Coming for a visit, and I want to make sure that the place we stay at is both conveniently located and in a safe area. Not too familiar with Roanoke. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 03:02 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,982 times
Smile My advice!

Hey and Welcome to The Roanoke Valley! The area around the airport/valley view mall isnt the me most disierable of the Valley. However I do not feel unsafe over in that area. When my company relocated me here a year ago I stayed at the Holiday Inn over there. Co-workers told me I'd be fine just as long as I dont wander too far. After living here a year I definatly would not reccomend living over in that area. I wouldnt mind staying in a hotel over there though especially closer to the mall ie: comfort inn, hyatt place, staybridge ect. You wouldnt have a problem in those hotels and they are very convienent to everything. That area is considered to be North West I live over in South Roanoke city off of Franklin Road. Over here you have less hotel options to choose from but they do exist. Knowing what I know now about the area I would feel more comfortable staying on this side of town. Your options include Holiday Inn Tanglewood and comfort suites as well as a few others. You also have a few options in the very safe Salem area including a very nice newer Hampton Inn. Bottom line I dont think you will get carjacked staying near Valley View mall but you might have a more enjoyable experience over on this side of town. Definatly avoid Holiday Inn express near the Civic center as well as anything else close to the Civic Center off of Orange Ave. Good luck! and I hope you enjoy your visit to Roanoke!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Coming for a visit, and I want to make sure that the place we stay at is both conveniently located and in a safe area. Not too familiar with Roanoke. Thanks

Old 04-07-2008, 05:07 AM

Thanks so much for your response. Now that you gave me that info, I'm thinking we should stay closer to Tanglewood Mall. I found a place online called, Affordable Corporate Suites. The problem is that they have 3 locations in Roanoke, and I had no idea which one to focus on. I think the one on Overland Dr will be our best best, although it may not be as convenient. Thanks again for your help. If you heard anything negative about this place I mentioned, please let me know. The price is right and they have a kitchen...

Old 04-07-2008, 06:10 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,188,010 times
If you're visiting for the purpose of considering a relocation then I'd lean toward the Tanglewood side. But I'm biased towards Tanglewood We live in the Boones Mill / Franklin County area and do most of our shopping on the south side of Roanoke. SW County and SW City has got a fun mix of affordable and upscale shopping. Plus you're closer to Bent Mountain and Franklin County / Smith Mountain Lake.

Sean

Old 04-07-2008, 06:31 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,888,257 times
Default Stay in My Part of Town...Or Else!!

Its so funny to read everyones' suggestions for your stay in Roanoke. For some locals they prefer the Tanglewood area, the SW part of town, etc. Remember Roanoke Valley is a relatively small area where one can travel from the airport to downtown in 10 minutes and then to Tanglewood in about 20.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,204 times
I do not think many people realize that there is alot of trouble in the Valley view area. I go to Valley view for shopping, dine, etc.... but I know they have had issues with cars being broken into at the mall and fights.
If you are looking for a place to live I would either go to southwest county or even north county towards the Botetourt area and avoid Valley view.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:53 PM

At this point, we are just coming for a visit to check the city out. I'd like the place we stay to be in a pleasant if not safe area. If we were to live there, then we would probably head to where the better schools are which seems to be around Hickory Hills or Cave Springs.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:57 PM

5 posts, read 10,152 times
I live in the neighborhood on the east side of Valley View, and I can't agree with the negative comments at all. The mall itself has the usual problems with car burglaries and teenage fights, as does Tanglewood, and likely any mall in the U.S.. The residential areas are pleasant and quiet. Valley View Mall's biggest problem is the aggressive drivers dealing with the very limited entrance and exit routes. And where they will find find enough ambulances the day a large jet comes down in the food court. Having a mall lined up within a mile of the end of an airport runway never made the best sense to me.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:03 PM

126 posts, read 324,408 times
Default Unsafe areas of Roanoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Hi there,

It's interesting what people have recommended for a short visit. I think you mentioned in another post that you have a 7-year-old. There are a couple of hotels near Valley View mall that have indoor pools: Roanoke Plaza Hotel and the Hyatt Place Hotel (there may be more, I just don't know about them), and offer free continental breakfast, if I remember correctly. Some of them even have small refrigerators in the rooms. Speaking as a mother, I think an indoor pool would be more important to my kids (I don't know of any hotels in SW Co that have indoor pools) and the Valley View Mall area isn't dangerous, if you don't plan to walk down Herschberger Road or Williamson Road after dark. With a fridge, you can have cereal for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch. Then, you only have to eat out for dinner.

Most of the hotels on the Valley View side are right next to the freeway and very near (2 minutes by car) to "restaurant row" over next to Valley View mall. So, you will have quite a few choices for meals (Ruby Tuesday, Abuelos, TGI Fridays, Logan's, Olive Garden, etc), and only a few blocks from "fast food row" at the corner of Herschberger Rd & Williamson Rd.

The Hotel Roanoke is very fancy (and expensive) but is within walking distance of the downtown area, where you could visit the Farmer's Market and the downtown restaurants. However, you can easily drive downtown from Valley View or SW County (Tanglewood area) and see those things, too. If it's just the two of you (no kids) you should try the "fixed price" dinner at the Hotel Roanoke...it's available Sun-Thursday from 5-6:30PM and is really lovely. Cost is under $20pp. Not fun for children, but a wonderful meal for grownups and you don't have to stay at the hotel to eat in the Regency Room.

If you're not kid-less, while you're in downtown, you should check out Center in the Square with your 7-year-old. They have a history museum, art museum, and science museum all in one building and the second Fridays, noon-6PM, of each month are free!

Valley View area is only about 10-15 minutes from SW County by freeway (easy on/off), so you can stay over there and house shop in SW County easily. You don't want to walk after dark in the Williamson Rd area or drive in any of the "teen" streets (especially 10th St, 13th St) after dark.

I agree that you shouldn't stay anywhere near Orange Ave or Williamson Rd (except Hotel Roanoke, which is in its own universe).

Good luck with your trip!
happygal0000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area