Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 08:44 AM

216 posts, read 421,962 times

Advertisements

May not be thread worthy to some, but the opening of the Chipotle at Towers has me all sorts of excited! Will try and stop by for dinner on my way home from work, but am anticipating large crowds.

Now I just feel bad for Baja Bistro......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 08:55 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,618,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoanokeWahoo View Post
May not be thread worthy to some, but the opening of the Chipotle at Towers has me all sorts of excited! Will try and stop by for dinner on my way home from work, but am anticipating large crowds.

Now I just feel bad for Baja Bistro......
Oh the things Roanokers get excited about. But I dont blame you, If I stilled lived there I would be just as exactic, its just living in Northern Va for 2 years now I have gotten use to all of the little conviences of this place and take them for granted. I hope Chipotle thrives in Roanoke not only for a short time but for a long time.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:46 AM

523 posts, read 654,730 times
I ate at the Chipotle in Charlottesville not too long ago, wasn't too crazy about it. Either way, I'll probably get over that way in a couple weeks after it settles down. Went by it this morning shortly after 11 and it looked packed.

I sure hope Baja Bistro doesn't lose too much business, I think they have the best nachos and cheese around.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:26 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,618,784 times
I went to the Wdbj7 website and like I was expecting this made top news for the day. LOL I think it's funny things like this go unnoticed by media here. I miss living in a town that stories like this make the news! Roanoke sure is unique.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:11 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,890,319 times
It is so amazing there were over 100 people waiting for Chipotle to open!!!
You would never see that anywhere else. I remember when the first Panera Bread opened in Roanoke it was the Companys' biggest selling store!!
I also read somewhere where Roanoke had more restaurants per capita than any city in Va. I don't know what the fascination is around here for restaurants but it is probably due to our large elderly population, old money and college kids.
I can't believe other national chains bypass us for less profitable areas which are saturated with Qdobas, Chilis, PF Changs, etc. I don't think national restaurant chains see the potential here due to the metro population stats which really don't tell the story about Roanoke. Oh well, its the chains loss also!

Old 06-07-2011, 02:27 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,657,740 times
Back in the 70's I worked for a city known as Simi Valley, CA outside of LA. It was mostly new homes with little retail then. We had a big celebration when Wendy's came to town. Seriously--Wendy's. We called the group of fast-food places our restaurant row.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:48 PM

Overall, Towers has done a good job bringing in more businesses that are unique to the region. I think I also heard somewhere that the Fresh Market store there is one of their most profitable. Now only if Tanglewood could fill in their vacancies, it sure is a clean and pretty mall to set so empty.

It does seem like these kind of businesses pass over the area quite often to end up going to places like Charlottesville or elsewhere. I guess that's one reason it creates such a buzz when one finally decides to invest here. I did happen to hear a rumor that there is some possibility for a PF Changs here if a certain mountainside property ever gets developed... but don't take my word for it.

Now if only we had a Melting Pot here...

Old 06-08-2011, 06:25 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,890,319 times
From what I have gathered from different sources, it is Roanoke County who does not actively go after chain stores, restaurants. When the County did their
comprehensive plan years ago the citizens decided they did not want commercial development to be a priority in their county. Roanoke City is actively going after commercial development but the problem is the City is landlocked with very little space available and most of these establishments like to be located in desirable locations.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:37 AM

216 posts, read 421,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1094 View Post
Overall, Towers has done a good job bringing in more businesses that are unique to the region. I think I also heard somewhere that the Fresh Market store there is one of their most profitable. Now only if Tanglewood could fill in their vacancies, it sure is a clean and pretty mall to set so empty.

It does seem like these kind of businesses pass over the area quite often to end up going to places like Charlottesville or elsewhere. I guess that's one reason it creates such a buzz when one finally decides to invest here. I did happen to hear a rumor that there is some possibility for a PF Changs here if a certain mountainside property ever gets developed... but don't take my word for it.

Now if only we had a Melting Pot here...

Ya know, just last night I was googling to see what, if anything, was going on with the South Peak (Slate Hill) project. Didn't turn up anything, but I regularly see contruction equipment and vehicles at the location. I really wish they would hurry up and get on with it. Anything would look better than what is there now.

P.S. PF Changs would be fabulous!

Old 06-08-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoanokeWahoo View Post
Ya know, just last night I was googling to see what, if anything, was going on with the South Peak (Slate Hill) project. Didn't turn up anything, but I regularly see contruction equipment and vehicles at the location. I really wish they would hurry up and get on with it. Anything would look better than what is there now.

P.S. PF Changs would be fabulous!
I did that not too long ago myself. Only thing that turned up recently was an article in SwoCo about the board of supervisors accepting a development agreement with South Peak. And I rode by there today, and saw the same as you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area