Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 09:52 AM

9 posts, read 34,043 times

Advertisements

Hmmm...I've only been here for a few weeks..and so far...so good! Folks are nice....helpful hospitable. Everyone I talk to I ask about employment and end up talking to them for about 30 minutes. They have an endless list of places for me to go and check out.

Racism is racism...it's everywhere. What I realized two years ago is that you will be hard pressed to find a "southern" accent in VA. They are few and far between. So unless the person is coming off as arrogant or condescending...then no one would know who's a yankee and who's an original Virginian.

I made this comment once and I will make it again, downtown Richmond is almost identical to downtown Detroit. It's has something of a big city feel in a small place. No..you won't find a lot of party clubs and bars...but they are alot of outside activities, and places to go. There is not shortage of restaurants.

I've been through a few of the suburban areas I LOVED THEM. I know I would to build a home in Chesterfield when I can afford it. Richmond is what I thought it would be for the most part...a good place to raise children...a place to see the city and escape to the country. So far, I think it's nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 05:51 PM

118 posts, read 624,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmarcos1 View Post
Beware!!

I am a native New Yorker (lived in Brooklyn and Staten Island). I have been living in Richmond for about "8" years. I seriously do not recommend this move. What you heard is correct. The white southerners in particular do not seem to like New Yorkers (especially if you have a NY accent). My experience with them is that they are rude and unsociable. My son is 24 years old and he absolutely hates it here. As a matter of fact we are considering a move out of here to the Delaware/Philadelphia area. We have visited NY and NJ and feel so welcome there. People in these areas are much friendlier than those in the south. Many Northerners agree with me.

Hope you make the right decision.

NYCGIRL
It's funny to me that people from the south hate the north. I never heard people here in NJ talk about how bad southeners are, the most i hear them say here is that they are a little naive, "laid back"(does that mean slow or lazy?) We have a bad reputation I guess. FYI y'all, people here in NJ hate each other too. NYC hates Staten Island, I hate my Italian neighbor and I am 1/2 Italian. I don't even consider VA the south. The only reason we are moving to VA is because it's like NJ but a little milder and alot more country, like it used to be here until all those dam aliens moved in (JOKE) moral to this post is I don't know anywhere that someone dosen't have something to say about someone else "why can't we all just get along" ?

Old 08-28-2007, 08:25 PM

4 posts, read 10,650 times
Do not move here. I am from New York and I am having a very hard time here. I moved here two years ago and they hate New Yorkers. They are back stabbers and they are very jealous of New Yorkers. My sister moved here also and she has had the same experience. Stay in New York if you want to be in the real world and have a life. The people here are very mean. They act nice and lie to your face and then they stab you in the back. My family is trying to do everything we can to get out of here. No diversity and very prejudice. They think we are stupid. What a Joke! Northerns have far more class, education, compassion, hospitality and money!

Old 08-28-2007, 09:23 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,803,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmarcos1 View Post
Beware!!

I am a native New Yorker (lived in Brooklyn and Staten Island). I have been living in Richmond for about "8" years. I seriously do not recommend this move. What you heard is correct. The white southerners in particular do not seem to like New Yorkers (especially if you have a NY accent). My experience with them is that they are rude and unsociable. My son is 24 years old and he absolutely hates it here. As a matter of fact we are considering a move out of here to the Delaware/Philadelphia area. We have visited NY and NJ and feel so welcome there. People in these areas are much friendlier than those in the south. Many Northerners agree with me.

Hope you make the right decision.

NYCGIRL
That is sooo not true ! Most of us welcome Northerners ! We find them exotic. The only time we drop the Y-word is when some of them start bashing us or saying everything back where they come from is faster or more efficient.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:24 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,803,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicNote View Post
Hmmm...I've only been here for a few weeks..and so far...so good! Folks are nice....helpful hospitable. Everyone I talk to I ask about employment and end up talking to them for about 30 minutes. They have an endless list of places for me to go and check out.

Racism is racism...it's everywhere. What I realized two years ago is that you will be hard pressed to find a "southern" accent in VA. They are few and far between. So unless the person is coming off as arrogant or condescending...then no one would know who's a yankee and who's an original Virginian.

I made this comment once and I will make it again, downtown Richmond is almost identical to downtown Detroit. It's has something of a big city feel in a small place. No..you won't find a lot of party clubs and bars...but they are alot of outside activities, and places to go. There is not shortage of restaurants.

I've been through a few of the suburban areas I LOVED THEM. I know I would to build a home in Chesterfield when I can afford it. Richmond is what I thought it would be for the most part...a good place to raise children...a place to see the city and escape to the country. So far, I think it's nice.
These days you will be hard pressed to find a southern accent anywhere.

But.. Talk to old Richmonders- or go to places like Powhatan County or Goochland or Farmville and Virginia accents abound !

Last edited by vasinger; 08-28-2007 at 09:33 PM..

Old 08-28-2007, 09:56 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,323,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica1995 View Post
Do not move here. I am from New York and I am having a very hard time here. I moved here two years ago and they hate New Yorkers. They are back stabbers and they are very jealous of New Yorkers. My sister moved here also and she has had the same experience. Stay in New York if you want to be in the real world and have a life. The people here are very mean. They act nice and lie to your face and then they stab you in the back. My family is trying to do everything we can to get out of here. No diversity and very prejudice. They think we are stupid. What a Joke! Northerns have far more class, education, compassion, hospitality and money!
Way to generalize! Talk about class and education!

I personally don't find people from up north exotic... exotic is Brazilian or Hawaiian or something. Interesting though that so many New Yorkers have similar experiences in the South. Part of it might be southerners acting a certain way towards New Yorkers for whatever reason. But... sometimes I wonder if the northern transplants come down with a certain attitude and try to replicate life in New York somewhere that's definitely different... people then react to that and they aren't received as warmly. It would be like an American moving to Italy and expecting everyone to cater to your "American-ness" and you trying to replicate your American lifestyle there.... Perhaps it's a bit of both.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:34 AM

203 posts, read 853,310 times
It's not that the people aren't nice...they're very nice. It's just the whole southern culture, Richmond culture, whatever. You should check out the NY forum, you can read hundreds of postings from New Yorkers who have moved south and their experiences. Most New Yorkers don't like it...and end up going back, I think. I'm a New Yorker living in Richmond....planning on going back to NY probably.

Native Virginians are nice people...but I think they're becoming the minority in Richmond. It's just a different way of life here. You're young though, so you'll be able to adapt easier.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:02 PM

43 posts, read 88,195 times
Well Laura2434, I've lived up and down the east coast until the past 4 years....I grew up until JR High age in MD....we considered ourselves Yankees....All of my family is from PA and MI and Canada....so I guess I am kind of a mixed breed....When I moved to NC I got teased a lot because I didn't have a southern accent (still don't) but the friends I made there are still my friends...It was all in good fun....Since your looking at a little bit of larger city that has colleges in the area, I think you'll be fine....One of my daughters had high school (NJ) friends that went to Richmond for college, they loved it...some are staying south.....NY'ers are really nice too; he ones not from the city are gems--great people....the ones from the city--one-on-one can be great and full of fun...However, on a busy work day, they are always in a hurry (everything moves fast there), so they can be pretty brusque...but it's probably bcause of time factor...The youger ones starting out at the investment firms, accounting and advertising firms, for example, can come off arrogant ....they eventually get over it and find that they are working longer, harder hours than they ever thought possible!..The ones that stay arrogant are unfortunately the most successful (not always) but it's the attitude needed to get ahead....and usually they just hang around with people that they think can help them in their careers or on their level...
I've only seen racism really bad in one place, and that it Memphis...it's a different kind of southern city....

If you're a happy and outgoing person, you'll do well no matter where you go....it's actually good to be out of your element when all you are responsible for is yourself! Enjoy wherever you are..you are only young once!

Old 08-29-2007, 08:49 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,323,155 times
Fortune 500 Altria just announced they are also moving to Richmond from NY. That'll make 9 Fortune 500's for a total of 15 Fortune 1000's... not bad for an area Richmond's size!

Old 08-29-2007, 09:06 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,888,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura2434 View Post
I am seriously considering moving to Richmond at the end of the year, most likely near the fan district (I am 22 years old). I am a little wary of all the warnings from people about how people from the south can't stand people from the north. How true is this? I am outgoing and friendly and I would hate to move somewhere and not be accepted based only on where I am from.

If anyone could also tell me if Richmond is a good place for someone my age that would be great...

Thanks!
Maybe I missed this, but does NY mean NYC or Upstate/Western NY? My wife and I just moved to the fan from Rochester, NY (28yrs old), and we love it so far. Our neighbors, community members, co-workers are all very friendly. I really think it's how friendly and respectful you are as a new-comer. I don't think that's anything Richmond-specific, it's just how people perceive new-comers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond