Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 09:13 PM

4 posts, read 28,525 times

Advertisements

Don't buy the crap. People are people are people everywhere. If someone cones here and exudes warmth and openness, they'll be met with that. If they come with an attitude and a chip on thier shoulders (like one of the posters here), they'll be met with a lack of hospitality. But ya gotta be able to take a little gentle, well-intended humor ... kidding about your accent, etc, JUST AS I DO WHEN I'M IN THE NORTH. Expect to be well-received and you will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 09:16 AM

9 posts, read 43,546 times
I would have to say, in my experience, it is not true in this area. I would say that 60% of the people in my neighborhood are from NY. They are treated the same as anyone else. We moved here from out of the area - far far out of the area, and have found everyone to be extremely friendly and welcoming.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:20 AM

14 posts, read 54,694 times
Default Native Ny'r

People in Richmond love people from NY. I am from NYC and have had no problems adjusting and neither have my kids which says even more. Best of luck in your move. there are many young people living and thriving in the FAN district and many are also from out of state. Fear not!

Old 03-07-2008, 02:51 PM

4 posts, read 10,653 times
Richmond Commuter

If you experienced the prejudice that I did you would feel the same way. You are not from New York. You are from New Jersey. The people in Richmond hate New Yorkers. I know I feel it. I am sitting here crying while I am writing you this post. I am so hurt. I have never felt such hurt in all my life. Now I know what it feels like to be judged just by the way you talk or look or where you are from and how African American people feel. It is the most horrible feeling in the world. It IS PURE HATRED AND I AM SICK OF IT. PROBABLY HATRED THAT COMES FROM JEALOUSY. I worked hard all my life to get where I am and I am not going to let anyone get the best of me. I am an educated person that has a lot to offer and will not let this place get the best of me and If the people in Richmond would have enough class to hold the door for me I would be glad to allow it, but to be perfectly honest I don't see that type of class around here. Most of the people from around here are very mean.

Richmond Commuter being from New York and being from New Jersey are two different things in Richmond. New Yorkers are viewed as rude, stuck up nasty people. I have news for them. If I ever fell in front of a train in Richmond I know that no one would ever jump on top of me to save my life. Especially if they heard my accent and knew that I was from New York. They would say "ONE LESS DAMM YANKEE" and let me die.

So the next time people classify New Yorkers as rude they should really take a look at all the people in Richmond that are killing each other every day. WONDER WHY?

Last edited by Jessica1995; 03-07-2008 at 03:02 PM..

Old 03-07-2008, 04:00 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,327,717 times
I'm sorry you're having this bizarre hyperbole of an experience, but your gross generalizations of people in Richmond are no better than the people who look at someone negatively just because they come from somewhere else. I hardly think your average person in this town can tell the difference between a Jersey and a New York accent.

Just as there's a stereotype around the country that people in the south sit in the rocking chair on the porch sipping tea dressed as hillbillies (or insert any other southern stereotype), there's a stereotype that people in the Northeast are rude... it doesn't make the stereotype right in any way, but you can't act as if this is the only place on earth that stereotypes people.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:03 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,327,717 times
The vast majority of people I know who are originally from New York have had good experiences in Richmond and laud the friendliness of people, so to say there is this blind hatred of all things north of town seems far fetched.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:34 PM

76 posts, read 330,702 times
Straight up I am from Richmond < came back for college that is all it is good for. Sux other wise. But people are nicer then what I am used to in FL. They have gottin a bit stuck up wannabe people here though. I am like ok this is Richmond not Hollywood. Anywho go for it if you want it isn't a horrible place and Northerns are very very excepted here. But it is boring here. Being in South FL for 4 years definently woke me up on seein what else is out there. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond